list of acknowledgments for PG15

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Attached is the plain-text list of acknowledgments for the PG15 release
notes, current through REL_15_BETA4.  Please check for problems such as
wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the
wrong order etc.  (Note that the current standard is given name followed
by surname, independent of cultural origin.)
Attachment

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

From
Japin Li
Date:
On Thu, 08 Sep 2022 at 20:13, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Attached is the plain-text list of acknowledgments for the PG15 release
> notes, current through REL_15_BETA4.  Please check for problems such as
> wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the
> wrong order etc.  (Note that the current standard is given name followed
> by surname, independent of cultural origin.)

Hi, Peter

Li Japin is an alias of Japin Li, it is unnecessary to list both of them.

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

From
Justin Pryzby
Date:
On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 11:39:43PM +0800, Japin Li wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2022 at 20:13, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > Attached is the plain-text list of acknowledgments for the PG15 release
> > notes, current through REL_15_BETA4.  Please check for problems such as
> > wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the
> > wrong order etc.  (Note that the current standard is given name followed
> > by surname, independent of cultural origin.)
>
> Hi, Peter
>
> Li Japin is an alias of Japin Li, it is unnecessary to list both of them.

Thanks.  This script finds another name which seems to be duplicated:

awk '{print $1,$2; print $2,$1}' |sort |uniq -c |sort -nr |awk '$1>1'
      2 Tang Haiying
      2 Li Japin
      2 Japin Li
      2 Haiying Tang

Alternately: awk 'a[$2$1]{print} {a[$1$2]=1}'

--
Justin

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

From
Etsuro Fujita
Date:
On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 9:13 PM Peter Eisentraut
> Attached is the plain-text list of acknowledgments for the PG15 release
> notes, current through REL_15_BETA4.  Please check for problems such as
> wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the
> wrong order etc.  (Note that the current standard is given name followed
> by surname, independent of cultural origin.)

Thanks as usual!

I think these are Japanese names that are in the
surname-followed-by-given-name order:

Kamigishi Rei
Kawamoto Masaya
Okano Naoki

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Date:
On 12.09.22 06:03, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 9:13 PM Peter Eisentraut
> <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Attached is the plain-text list of acknowledgments for the PG15 release
>> notes, current through REL_15_BETA4.  Please check for problems such as
>> wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the
>> wrong order etc.  (Note that the current standard is given name followed
>> by surname, independent of cultural origin.)
>
> Thanks as usual!
>
> I think these are Japanese names that are in the
> surname-followed-by-given-name order:
>
> Kamigishi Rei
> Kawamoto Masaya
> Okano Naoki

committed with the provided corrections

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

From
Fujii Masao

On 2022/09/08 21:13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Attached is the plain-text list of acknowledgments for the PG15 release notes, current through REL_15_BETA4.  Please
checkfor problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Note
thatthe current standard is given name followed by surname, independent of cultural origin.)

I'd propose to add "Tatsuhiro Nakamori" whose patch was back-patched to v15 last week, into the list. Thought?

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=249b0409b181311bb1c375311e43eb767b5c3bdd

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION
Attachment

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2022-Oct-07, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On 2022/09/08 21:13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > Attached is the plain-text list of acknowledgments for the PG15 release notes, current through REL_15_BETA4.
Pleasecheck for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the wrong order
etc. (Note that the current standard is given name followed by surname, independent of cultural origin.)

> I'd propose to add "Tatsuhiro Nakamori" whose patch was back-patched to v15 last week, into the list. Thought?
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=249b0409b181311bb1c375311e43eb767b5c3bdd

I agree, he has made some other contributions in the list, even if his
email does not yet show up in the git log.

(I think it would be good to have people's full name when writing the
commit messages, too ...)

(Also: I think it would be nice to have people's names that are
originally in scripts other than Latin to appear in both scripts.)

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

Date:
> (Also: I think it would be nice to have people's names that are
> originally in scripts other than Latin to appear in both scripts.)

That'd move the goalposts for the docs toolchain rather a long way,
I fear.

As for the point originally made, I'm not sure whether Peter has a
consistent rule for which release cycle people get acknowledged in.
It may be that we're already into the time frame in which Nakamori-san
should be listed in PG v16 acknowledgments instead.  I have no objection
to adding him if we're still in the v15 frame, though.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 06.10.22 18:26, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On 2022/09/08 21:13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Attached is the plain-text list of acknowledgments for the PG15
>> release notes, current through REL_15_BETA4.  Please check for
>> problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants,
>> or names in the wrong order etc.  (Note that the current standard is
>> given name followed by surname, independent of cultural origin.)
>
> I'd propose to add "Tatsuhiro Nakamori" whose patch was back-patched to
> v15 last week, into the list. Thought?

They were added with the last update.

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

Date:
> On 06.10.22 18:26, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> I'd propose to add "Tatsuhiro Nakamori" whose patch was back-patched to
>> v15 last week, into the list. Thought?

> They were added with the last update.

I don't wish to object to adding Nakamori-san here, but I feel like we
need a policy that doesn't require last-minute updates to release notes.

As far as I've understood, the idea is to credit people based on the
time frame in which their patches were committed, not on the branch(es)
that the patches were committed to.  Otherwise we'd have to retroactively
add people to back-branch acknowledgements, and we have not been doing
that.  So a patch that goes in during the v16 development cycle means
that the author should get acknowledged in the v16 release notes,
even if it got back-patched to older branches.  What remains is to
define when is the cutoff point between "acknowledge in v15" versus
"acknowledge in v16".  I don't have a strong opinion about that,
but I'd like it to be more than 24 hours before the 15.0 wrap.
Could we make the cutoff be, say, beta1?

            regards, tom lane

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

Date:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 02:41:06AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I don't wish to object to adding Nakamori-san here, but I feel like we
> need a policy that doesn't require last-minute updates to release notes.
>
> As far as I've understood, the idea is to credit people based on the
> time frame in which their patches were committed, not on the branch(es)
> that the patches were committed to.  Otherwise we'd have to retroactively
> add people to back-branch acknowledgements, and we have not been doing
> that.  So a patch that goes in during the v16 development cycle means
> that the author should get acknowledged in the v16 release notes,
> even if it got back-patched to older branches.  What remains is to
> define when is the cutoff point between "acknowledge in v15" versus
> "acknowledge in v16".  I don't have a strong opinion about that,
> but I'd like it to be more than 24 hours before the 15.0 wrap.
> Could we make the cutoff be, say, beta1?

Is the issue that we are really only crediting people whose commits/work
appears in major releases, and not in minor ones?

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

Date:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 02:41:06AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> As far as I've understood, the idea is to credit people based on the
>> time frame in which their patches were committed, not on the branch(es)
>> that the patches were committed to.

> Is the issue that we are really only crediting people whose commits/work
> appears in major releases, and not in minor ones?

What Peter has said about this is that he lists everyone whose name
has appeared in commit messages over thus-and-such a time frame.
So it doesn't matter which branch is involved, just when the contribution
was made.  That process is fine with me; I'm just seeking a bit more
clarity as to what the time frames are.

            regards, tom lane

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15

Date:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 02:44:22PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 02:41:06AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> As far as I've understood, the idea is to credit people based on the
> >> time frame in which their patches were committed, not on the branch(es)
> >> that the patches were committed to.
>
> > Is the issue that we are really only crediting people whose commits/work
> > appears in major releases, and not in minor ones?
>
> What Peter has said about this is that he lists everyone whose name
> has appeared in commit messages over thus-and-such a time frame.
> So it doesn't matter which branch is involved, just when the contribution
> was made.  That process is fine with me; I'm just seeking a bit more
> clarity as to what the time frames are.

Oh, that's an interesting approach but it might mean that, for example,
PG 16 patch authors appear in the PG 15 major release notes.  It seems
that the stable major release branch date should be the cut-off, so no
one is missed.

Date:
On 10.10.22 08:41, Tom Lane wrote:
> What remains is to
> define when is the cutoff point between "acknowledge in v15" versus
> "acknowledge in v16".  I don't have a strong opinion about that,
> but I'd like it to be more than 24 hours before the 15.0 wrap.
> Could we make the cutoff be, say, beta1?

beta1 is too early, because a significant portion of the names comes in
after beta1.  rc1 would be ok, I think.