Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15
Date
Re: list of acknowledgments for PG15  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 06.10.22 18:26, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> I'd propose to add "Tatsuhiro Nakamori" whose patch was back-patched to
>> v15 last week, into the list. Thought?

> They were added with the last update.

I don't wish to object to adding Nakamori-san here, but I feel like we
need a policy that doesn't require last-minute updates to release notes.

As far as I've understood, the idea is to credit people based on the
time frame in which their patches were committed, not on the branch(es)
that the patches were committed to.  Otherwise we'd have to retroactively
add people to back-branch acknowledgements, and we have not been doing
that.  So a patch that goes in during the v16 development cycle means
that the author should get acknowledged in the v16 release notes,
even if it got back-patched to older branches.  What remains is to
define when is the cutoff point between "acknowledge in v15" versus
"acknowledge in v16".  I don't have a strong opinion about that,
but I'd like it to be more than 24 hours before the 15.0 wrap.
Could we make the cutoff be, say, beta1?