postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
Hi,

I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11.

digging into various web sites, I didnt found the name of that packet.

can someone help ?

thanks

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

Re: postgis

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 7/18/22 10:08, Marc Millas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11.
>
> digging into various web sites, I didnt found the name of that packet.
>
> can someone help ?

Where did you install Postgres from, the Debian or the Postgres
community repos?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 7/18/22 10:08, Marc Millas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11.
>
> digging into various web sites, I didnt found the name of that packet.
>
> can someone help ?

Should have added to previous response, what version of Postgres?

> thanks
>
> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
Hi,
postgres 12.
I may use whatever repo.

I install postgres from postgresql.org...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

Date:
On 7/18/22 11:48, Marc Millas wrote:
> Hi,
> postgres 12.
> I may use whatever repo.
>
> I install postgres from postgresql.org...

You pretty much need to install from the same repo for PostGIS.
Otherwise you will most likely run into compatibility issues.

 From here:

https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgis/

I only see 3.0.1 and 3.0.3 as options.

A more complete answer will need to come from one of the maintainers.

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Mladen Gogala
Date:
I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11.

digging into various web sites, I didnt found the name of that packet.

can someone help ?

thanks

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

Install alien and convert the .rpm package into the .deb package. When dealing with alien be careful, so that it doesn't jump and stick to your face. Bad things can happen then....

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
Thanks Adrian

still, I see a bunch of files, and nothing that can be installed via apt-get install.
The only "things" big enough to contain a postgis distrib, like

can obviously not be installed via apt.

what am I missing ??

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 12:09 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/18/22 11:48, Marc Millas wrote:
> Hi,
> postgres 12.
> I may use whatever repo.
>
> I install postgres from postgresql.org...

You pretty much need to install from the same repo for PostGIS.
Otherwise you will most likely run into compatibility issues.

 From here:

Date:
On 7/19/22 9:01 AM, Marc Millas wrote:
> Thanks Adrian
>
> still, I see a bunch of files, and nothing that can be installed via
> apt-get install.
> The only "things" big enough to contain a postgis distrib, like
> https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgis/postgis_3.0.3%2Bdfsg.orig.tar.xz
> <https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgis/postgis_3.0.3%2Bdfsg.orig.tar.xz>
>
> can obviously not be installed via apt.
>

> what am I missing ??

What does:

apt-cache search postgresql-12-postgis

return?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
just... nothing !

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

Date:
On 7/19/22 9:51 AM, Marc Millas wrote:
> just... nothing !

I thought you said you used the Postgres community repo to install
Postgres.

Is that not the case?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Imre Samu
Date:
> I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11
> postgres 12.
> I may use whatever repo.
> I install postgres from postgresql.org...

As I see - from the official postgresql.org debian11 repo,
you can only install the "postgresql-12-postgis-3" package  ( now: Postgis=3.2.1 )

docker run -it --rm postgres:12 bash
  apt update && apt search postgis | grep postgresql-12-postgis-3
   ---> postgresql-12-postgis-3/bullseye-pgdg 3.2.1+dfsg-1.pgdg110+1 amd64
  cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION
   ---> VERSION="11 (bullseye)

Now the latest 3.0 version is http://postgis.net/2022/02/02/postgis-3.0.5/

regards,
  Imre

I install postgres from postgresql.org...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 7:15 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/18/22 10:08, Marc Millas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11.
>
> digging into various web sites, I didnt found the name of that packet.
>
> can someone help ?

Should have added to previous response, what version of Postgres?

> thanks
>
> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
It is. I do begin with the postgres site script:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt $(lsb_release -cs)-pgdg main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list'

so...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 6:54 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 9:51 AM, Marc Millas wrote:
> just... nothing !

I thought you said you used the Postgres community repo to install
Postgres.

Is that not the case?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
Hi,

from your message, I understand that for debian 11, I can NOT get any 3.0.x version.
right ?

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

Date:
On 7/19/22 11:19, Marc Millas wrote:
> It is. I do begin with the postgres site script:
>
> sudo sh -c 'echo "debhttp://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt  <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt>
$(lsb_release-cs)-pgdg main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list'

> so...

Have you run?:

sudo apt update

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.
Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 8:42 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 11:19, Marc Millas wrote:
> It is. I do begin with the postgres site script:
>
> sudo sh -c 'echo "debhttp://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt  <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt>  $(lsb_release -cs)-pgdg main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list'
>

> so...

Have you run?:

sudo apt update

Date:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.

Does this mean you have PostGIS installed now?

Date:
> from your message, I understand that for debian 11, I can NOT get any 3.0.x version.

I can't see any Postgis 3.0.x version
in the default "http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ bullseye-pgdg main 12"  repo

root@6b22a4450d93:/# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list
deb [ signed-by=/usr/local/share/keyrings/postgres.gpg.asc ] http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ bullseye-pgdg main 12

If the version of PostGIS(3.0.x) is important for compatibility,
you should also pay attention to the version of the "geos" and "proj" packages.

As I understand the debian "postgresql-12-postgis-3" package is continuously updated to the latest official postgis version.
( postgis 3.0 -> postgis 3.1 -> postgis 3.2  ... )
And the latest update was at 2022-02-14

( My knowledge is limited .. )
and there is a dedicated Postgis mail list:
and a Debian packaging mail list:

Regards,
 Imre

Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. júl. 19., K, 20:20):
Hi,

from your message, I understand that for debian 11, I can NOT get any 3.0.x version.
right ?

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 7:20 PM Imre Samu <pella.samu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11
> postgres 12.
> I may use whatever repo.
> I install postgres from postgresql.org...

As I see - from the official postgresql.org debian11 repo,
you can only install the "postgresql-12-postgis-3" package  ( now: Postgis=3.2.1 )

docker run -it --rm postgres:12 bash
  apt update && apt search postgis | grep postgresql-12-postgis-3
   ---> postgresql-12-postgis-3/bullseye-pgdg 3.2.1+dfsg-1.pgdg110+1 amd64
  cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION
   ---> VERSION="11 (bullseye)

Now the latest 3.0 version is http://postgis.net/2022/02/02/postgis-3.0.5/

regards,
  Imre

Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. júl. 18., H, 20:48):
Hi,
postgres 12.
I may use whatever repo.

I install postgres from postgresql.org...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 7:15 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/18/22 10:08, Marc Millas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11.
>
> digging into various web sites, I didnt found the name of that packet.
>
> can someone help ?

Should have added to previous response, what version of Postgres?

> thanks
>
> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
Postgres installed, but not postgis.. which is why I need some help...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.

Does this mean you have PostGIS installed now?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Ron
Date:
You've never shown us exactly what you did, along with any error messages.

On 7/19/22 22:07, Marc Millas wrote:
Postgres installed, but not postgis.. which is why I need some help...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.

Does this mean you have PostGIS installed now?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
???

I did describe precisely what I did:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.
no error messages.. Postgres is fine.

My question i(from the beginning) s about the availability of a postgis 3.0.x distro for postgres 12 on debian 11.
and, if yes, the name of the package, and the @ of the repo.

To my understanding, such a postgis distro does not exist in the postgresql.org repos
so through this mail list, I was trying to know if it may exist somewhere.

I know that I am supposed to post such a question on the postgis mail list.
But.. I register thru the postgis web site, and didnt get any answer.

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
You've never shown us exactly what you did, along with any error messages.

On 7/19/22 22:07, Marc Millas wrote:
Postgres installed, but not postgis.. which is why I need some help...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.

Does this mean you have PostGIS installed now?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Ron
Date:
This long drama is about POSTGIS, not Postgresql.  What error do you get when trying to install POSTGIS?

On 7/20/22 08:26, Marc Millas wrote:
???

I did describe precisely what I did:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.
no error messages.. Postgres is fine.

My question i(from the beginning) s about the availability of a postgis 3.0.x distro for postgres 12 on debian 11.
and, if yes, the name of the package, and the @ of the repo.

To my understanding, such a postgis distro does not exist in the postgresql.org repos
so through this mail list, I was trying to know if it may exist somewhere.

I know that I am supposed to post such a question on the postgis mail list.
But.. I register thru the postgis web site, and didnt get any answer.

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
You've never shown us exactly what you did, along with any error messages.

On 7/19/22 22:07, Marc Millas wrote:
Postgres installed, but not postgis.. which is why I need some help...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.

Does this mean you have PostGIS installed now?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
???
I didnt get any error, as I dont know the name of the package to be installed !!!

my question was, and still is:
"Hi,
I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11.

digging into various web sites, I didnt found the name of that packet.

can someone help ?"

so..
the only info on the debian postgis page I was able to find is the name of a package:
postgres-12-postgis-3 which do install a postgis 3.2.1
not a postgis 3.0.x

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 3:52 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
This long drama is about POSTGIS, not Postgresql.  What error do you get when trying to install POSTGIS?

On 7/20/22 08:26, Marc Millas wrote:
???

I did describe precisely what I did:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.
no error messages.. Postgres is fine.

My question i(from the beginning) s about the availability of a postgis 3.0.x distro for postgres 12 on debian 11.
and, if yes, the name of the package, and the @ of the repo.

To my understanding, such a postgis distro does not exist in the postgresql.org repos
so through this mail list, I was trying to know if it may exist somewhere.

I know that I am supposed to post such a question on the postgis mail list.
But.. I register thru the postgis web site, and didnt get any answer.

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
You've never shown us exactly what you did, along with any error messages.

On 7/19/22 22:07, Marc Millas wrote:
Postgres installed, but not postgis.. which is why I need some help...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.

Does this mean you have PostGIS installed now?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
jian he

Can you try compiling from source: https://postgis.net/source/

postgis 3.2.1 is OK. postgresql & postgis version info: https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostgreSQLPostGIS

if you already installed check postgis version:  https://postgis.net/docs/PostGIS_Version.html

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 7:37 PM Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com> wrote:
???
I didnt get any error, as I dont know the name of the package to be installed !!!

my question was, and still is:
"Hi,
I would like to install postgis 3.04 on a debian 11.

digging into various web sites, I didnt found the name of that packet.

can someone help ?"

so..
the only info on the debian postgis page I was able to find is the name of a package:
postgres-12-postgis-3 which do install a postgis 3.2.1
not a postgis 3.0.x

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 3:52 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
This long drama is about POSTGIS, not Postgresql.  What error do you get when trying to install POSTGIS?

On 7/20/22 08:26, Marc Millas wrote:
???

I did describe precisely what I did:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.
no error messages.. Postgres is fine.

My question i(from the beginning) s about the availability of a postgis 3.0.x distro for postgres 12 on debian 11.
and, if yes, the name of the package, and the @ of the repo.

To my understanding, such a postgis distro does not exist in the postgresql.org repos
so through this mail list, I was trying to know if it may exist somewhere.

I know that I am supposed to post such a question on the postgis mail list.
But.. I register thru the postgis web site, and didnt get any answer.

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
You've never shown us exactly what you did, along with any error messages.

On 7/19/22 22:07, Marc Millas wrote:
Postgres installed, but not postgis.. which is why I need some help...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.

Does this mean you have PostGIS installed now?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

 I recommend David Deutsch's <<The Beginning of Infinity>>

  Jian

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
Thanks for your answer.
I would like to avoid compiling as much as possible.
I know that postgis 3.2.1 is available and does install without pb. but..
That db run an app which is very long to test, so I need to stick to a postgis 3.0.x

regards,

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 4:16 PM jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Postgres installed, but not postgis.. which is why I need some help...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/19/22 2:09 PM, Marc Millas wrote:
> I did run each step of the script and did install a postgres 12.11.
> then destroyed the instance created by the script, and, then
> pg_createcluster a new one, which is running fine.

Does this mean you have PostGIS installed now?

> Marc MILLAS
> Senior Architect
> +33607850334
> www.mokadb.com <http://www.mokadb.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

 I recommend David Deutsch's <<The Beginning of Infinity>>

"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Wednesday, July 20, 2022, Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com> wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
I would like to avoid compiling as much as possible.
I know that postgis 3.2.1 is available and does install without pb. but..
That db run an app which is very long to test, so I need to stick to a postgis 3.0.x

I’m not particularly fluent here but working from the PostGIS project homepage and into the linked package archives I do not see where what you want exists.  It doesn’t seem like the 3.0.x series is being kept up-to-date in packaged form.

But you may want to use PostGIS support channels to have a better chance at getting confirmation/help rather than here.

My general impression is that the packaging, at least for Debian, doesn’t actually understand how the PostGIS project handles versioning support.  But i may be missing something as I’m doing this web-only and apt.postgresql.org is basically impossible to inspect on the web.

David J.

Re: postgis

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 7/20/22 07:57, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2022, Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com
> <mailto:marc.millas@mokadb.com>> wrote:

> My general impression is that the packaging, at least for Debian,
> doesn’t actually understand how the PostGIS project handles versioning
> support.  But i may be missing something as I’m doing this web-only and
> apt.postgresql.org <http://apt.postgresql.org> is basically impossible
> to inspect on the web.

Are you looking for?:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 8:36 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/20/22 07:57, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2022, Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com
> <mailto:marc.millas@mokadb.com>> wrote:

> My general impression is that the packaging, at least for Debian,
> doesn’t actually understand how the PostGIS project handles versioning
> support.  But i may be missing something as I’m doing this web-only and
> apt.postgresql.org <http://apt.postgresql.org> is basically impossible
> to inspect on the web.

Are you looking for?:

https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/

That is what I found, and nowhere on the web can I find confirmation of the existence of the package:

3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg+1

Even though I know it exists from this message to the mailing list:

(and the fact that it is that package that got bundled into the official docker image)

It seems to most likely be knowledge that is buried in a gz file somewhere which doesn't do me any good, that I can tell, when viewing the site in Chrome.
David J.

Re: postgis

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 7/20/22 07:21, Marc Millas wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
> I would like to avoid compiling as much as possible.
> I know that postgis 3.2.1 is available and does install without pb. but..
> That db run an app which is very long to test, so I need to stick to a
> postgis 3.0.x

Alright as close as could get. The procedure is:

1) Go to Postgres APT archive:

https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/

Add to you sources:

deb https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt
bullseye-pgdg-archive main

Then:

sudo apt update

This will get you older versions of packages

2) Find package versions( I was doing this on Ubuntu 20.04 so the distro
will be different from what you see):

apt list -a postgresql-12-postgis-3
Listing... Done
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg,focal-pgdg-archive
3.2.1+dfsg-1.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.2.0+dfsg-1.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.1.4+dfsg-3.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.1.4+dfsg-1.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.1.3+dfsg-1~exp1.pgdg20.04+1
amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.1.2+dfsg-1~exp2.pgdg20.04+1
amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.1.1+dfsg-1.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.1.0+dfsg-1.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive
3.1.0~alpha1+dfsg-1~exp2~232.gitc62f703.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.0.2+dfsg-4.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.0.2+dfsg-2.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.0.1+dfsg-4.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal-pgdg-archive 3.0.1+dfsg-2.pgdg20.04+1 amd64
postgresql-12-postgis-3/focal 3.0.0+dfsg-6ubuntu4 amd64

3) From above the latest 3.0.x is 3.0.3. So then do:

sudo apt install  postgresql-12-postgis-3=3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg20.04+1

On my machine it installed PostGIS 3.0.3 with no issues.

Date:
On 7/20/22 08:55, David G. Johnston wrote:

> That is what I found, and nowhere on the web can I find confirmation of
> the existence of the package:
>
> 3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg+1

https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgis/

See my most recent reply to Marc on how to get at it.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: postgis

From
Imre Samu
Date:
> My general impression is that the packaging, at least for Debian,
> doesn’t actually understand how the PostGIS project handles versioning support.
> But i may be missing something

"PostGIS Pre-built Binary Distributions for various OS"

Debian is a conservative Linux.

IMHO:
- there are [n.=7] Postgres version [9.6,10,11,12,13,14,15 ]   [ now: all supported in bullseye ]
- there are [g.=9 ] Geos version [3.3,3.4,3.5,3.6,3.7,3.8,3.9,3.10,3.11]  [ now: bullsey= 3.9.0 ]
- there are [p.=7 ] Proj version [ 4.8,4.9,5.x,6.x,7.x,8.x,9.x ]    [ now: bullseye = 7.2.1 ]
- there are [d.= 7 ] Gdal version [ 2.4,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3,3.4,3.5]    [ now: bullseye = 3.2.2 ]
- there are [m.=5] Postgis version [2.4,2.5,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3]   [now: bullseye= 3.2.1 ]

And there are also projects based on PostGIS.
- Pgrouting [r.=7 ]   [2.3,2.4,2.5,2.6,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3]  [ now: bullseye= 3.3.0 ; postgresql-12-pgrouting ]

So the ideal "end user" combination =  n*g*p*d*m*r  = 7*9*7*7*5*7  = 108045

// disclaimer:   I am a Postgis user and a https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis contributor

Regards,
 Imre

Date:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 9:16 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/20/22 08:55, David G. Johnston wrote:

> That is what I found, and nowhere on the web can I find confirmation of
> the existence of the package:
>
> 3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg+1

https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgis/

See my most recent reply to Marc on how to get at it.

Right, I vaguely knew how to get at it while at the Linux terminal, wasn't my point.

That does confirm that two releases are for sure missing and I'm doubting the 3.0.6 release from yesterday will ever be published as well.

The fact that the package is "-postgis-3" and not "-postgis-3.0" is why I say the packaging doesn't understand the project's versioning system.

David J.

Re: postgis

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 9:21 AM Imre Samu <pella.samu@gmail.com> wrote:
> My general impression is that the packaging, at least for Debian,
> doesn’t actually understand how the PostGIS project handles versioning support.
> But i may be missing something

"PostGIS Pre-built Binary Distributions for various OS"

Debian is a conservative Linux.

IMHO:
- there are [n.=7] Postgres version [9.6,10,11,12,13,14,15 ]   [ now: all supported in bullseye ]
- there are [g.=9 ] Geos version [3.3,3.4,3.5,3.6,3.7,3.8,3.9,3.10,3.11]  [ now: bullsey= 3.9.0 ]
- there are [p.=7 ] Proj version [ 4.8,4.9,5.x,6.x,7.x,8.x,9.x ]    [ now: bullseye = 7.2.1 ]
- there are [d.= 7 ] Gdal version [ 2.4,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3,3.4,3.5]    [ now: bullseye = 3.2.2 ]
- there are [m.=5] Postgis version [2.4,2.5,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3]   [now: bullseye= 3.2.1 ]

And there are also projects based on PostGIS.
- Pgrouting [r.=7 ]   [2.3,2.4,2.5,2.6,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3]  [ now: bullseye= 3.3.0 ; postgresql-12-pgrouting ]

So the ideal "end user" combination =  n*g*p*d*m*r  = 7*9*7*7*5*7  = 108045

// disclaimer:   I am a Postgis user and a https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis contributor

Yes, my expectation may be naive, but as the package name is "postgresql-[version]-postgis-[version]" I would expect the 35 packages implied by the version policies of those two projects.  So that one can choose their combination and focus on patch releases within those two named projects.  The OP seems to as well.  Or maybe a functional subset so that some number less than 35 may exist but, say, you cannot combine v14 and 3.0 since 3.0 since 3.2 was the most recent release of PostGIS when PostgreSQL v14 came out.

In any case it does sound like the request by the OP is not something the community has chosen to provide.  Which means a choice on their part - move up PostGIS or compile from source.

David J.

Re: postgis

From
Imre Samu
Date:
>  I would expect the 35 packages implied by the version policies of those two projects.

Based on my docker-postgis support  - the "geos" is also important.
Now Bullseye(Debian11) geos version is 3.9 - and this is likely to continue until the end of the cycle ( so no upgrade expected to 3.10,3.11)

And the  (next) Postgis 3.3.0 Release is not enabling all new features with the current Bullseye - Geos version:
"This version requires PostgreSQL 11 or higher, GEOS 3.6 or higher, and Proj 5.2+.
Additional features are enabled if you are running GEOS 3.9+
ST_MakeValid enhancements with 3.10+,
numerouse additional enhancements with GEOS 3.11+.
Requires SFCGAL 1.4.1+ for ST_AlphaShape and ST_OptimalAlphaShape.
"
And Postgis 3.2 also has some enhancements working only with geos 3.10+  ( ST_MakeValid enhancements )
And "Bookworm" Debian12 expected  >= mid-2023.
so not easy ...

Imre

David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. júl. 20., Sze, 18:31):
On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 9:21 AM Imre Samu <pella.samu@gmail.com> wrote:
> My general impression is that the packaging, at least for Debian,
> doesn’t actually understand how the PostGIS project handles versioning support.
> But i may be missing something

"PostGIS Pre-built Binary Distributions for various OS"

Debian is a conservative Linux.

IMHO:
- there are [n.=7] Postgres version [9.6,10,11,12,13,14,15 ]   [ now: all supported in bullseye ]
- there are [g.=9 ] Geos version [3.3,3.4,3.5,3.6,3.7,3.8,3.9,3.10,3.11]  [ now: bullsey= 3.9.0 ]
- there are [p.=7 ] Proj version [ 4.8,4.9,5.x,6.x,7.x,8.x,9.x ]    [ now: bullseye = 7.2.1 ]
- there are [d.= 7 ] Gdal version [ 2.4,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3,3.4,3.5]    [ now: bullseye = 3.2.2 ]
- there are [m.=5] Postgis version [2.4,2.5,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3]   [now: bullseye= 3.2.1 ]

And there are also projects based on PostGIS.
- Pgrouting [r.=7 ]   [2.3,2.4,2.5,2.6,3.0,3.1,3.2,3.3]  [ now: bullseye= 3.3.0 ; postgresql-12-pgrouting ]

So the ideal "end user" combination =  n*g*p*d*m*r  = 7*9*7*7*5*7  = 108045

// disclaimer:   I am a Postgis user and a https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis contributor

Yes, my expectation may be naive, but as the package name is "postgresql-[version]-postgis-[version]" I would expect the 35 packages implied by the version policies of those two projects.  So that one can choose their combination and focus on patch releases within those two named projects.  The OP seems to as well.  Or maybe a functional subset so that some number less than 35 may exist but, say, you cannot combine v14 and 3.0 since 3.0 since 3.2 was the most recent release of PostGIS when PostgreSQL v14 came out.

In any case it does sound like the request by the OP is not something the community has chosen to provide.  Which means a choice on their part - move up PostGIS or compile from source.

David J.

Re: postgis

From
Marc Millas
Date:
right.
so I scratch the debian vm, install a centos 7 and within minutes I have a postgres 12 with postgis 3.0.4 running.
so easy.

regards.
Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect