pgAdmin v4.25 has yet again broken something. After being harassed to upgrade to the latest version, pgAdmin has stopped opening itself properly.

It no longer opens in the correct Pale Moon profile. It now opens in the *default* profile, which completely breaks everything. I've previously tried to explain how important it is for pgAdmin to have its own dedicated GUI/"webview", so I'm not going to go into details about why this is so important here. It seems to fall on deaf ears either way.

My `Browser Command` is:

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p "pgAdmin" --no-remote "%URL%"

In other words, identical to v4.24 and every version before that. Yet it now suddenly opens in the default profile, apparently ignoring my command entirely. I also tried restarting the entire machine to make sure it wasn't some weird temporary glitch.

If I run this in Windows, it opens the right profile, so it's not my browser at fault:

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p "pgAdmin" --no-remote "about:config"

Is there no quality assurance for this program? I have never encountered any software in my life which breaks as frequently as this... which says a lot.

If I go to the notification icon of pgAdmin, right click it and click "New pgAdmin window", it opens in the right profile, as it's supposed to. So clearly it's *able* to do it, somehow, but only in this weird way. It would mean many clicks each time I want to open pgAdmin and doesn't address the actual problem.

In desperation, I even tried to make a completely new Pale Moon shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p "pgAdmin" --no-remote "http://127.0.0.1:49707/browser/"

But then it just says:

> Unauthorized
> The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

I have no idea how this is even technically possible, but v4.25 clearly has broken *something*.

If this sounds "rude", it's because I feel horribly insulted as a user when this mission-critical software (because it *is* mission-critical) keeps breaking in weird ways. I've plowed down countless hours of my life just working around bugs and "features" added to pgAdmin 4. I feel like I'm *fighting against* it rather than using a great tool. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to make my own database manager, since pgAdmin 4 is not just very slow and glitchy, but downright *broken* now.

And how do I turn off that nag screen which constantly keeps pestering me to "upgrade" to the new version, which is very likely to break everything? I want to disable that message so I never have to see it and never have to get another broken pgAdmin version on my system ever again. I would go through this Hell at the most once a year or something.

It feels like I'm one some kind of "bleeding edge" branch rather than the stable/production one. Please consider testing your software before releasing it.

I truly don't understand how you can keep doing this to your users. Do you hate us? There are some really good ideas and neat features inside this program, but it's hidden behind all these layers of madness which ruins the entire experience and cripples the user when they need it the most.

I could very well never even have found the work-around. Most users probably would not have tried half of what I've tried to get this to work.
Gosh, you're right, this does sound very rude.

I'm not sure where to start with this and I'm a user, not a developer of the software, so shouldn't be taking this too personally.

You seem to have misread the licence of the software: https://github.com/postgres/pgadmin4/blob/master/LICENSE.

As this is open source software, no one is guaranteeing you anything (why should they, you didn't pay for it, right?). What they are guaranteeing you is that the code is open for you to view and change if you so desire (given certain conditions). There is a likelihood that other people will come and fix and bugs, create new features, but that is not a given, nor should it be.

If it is really "mission-critical software" then sitting around ranting in a mailing list is not going to help you. If you are experiencing these issues (personally I have had very few issues with the software, so can't help you there). You need to do one of:

- Ask politely if anyone can help, file bugs properly on the bug tracker by stating your system environment, steps to reproduce etc. Note, this email does not meet the politeness criterion
- Obtain the skills yourself to fix your own issues, and ideally contribute those back to the project
- Pay someone as a one off to fix the bugs you are experiencing or an ongoing maintenance-type contract

I'm afraid your message just comes off as entitled, uninformed, and yes, rude.

Stephen Knox

pgAdmin v4.25 has yet again broken something. After being harassed to upgrade to the latest version, pgAdmin has stopped opening itself properly.

It no longer opens in the correct Pale Moon profile. It now opens in the *default* profile, which completely breaks everything. I've previously tried to explain how important it is for pgAdmin to have its own dedicated GUI/"webview", so I'm not going to go into details about why this is so important here. It seems to fall on deaf ears either way.

My company relies on PostgreSQL and pgAdmin, as do thousands of other companies, I'm sure.  Since most of our customers have been with us for a long time and have stable installations, we have not been upgrading them to the latest PostgreSQL version, and therefore, most of my experience has been with pgAdmin III.  Nonetheless, I have been less than impressed with it.  It freezes or disables commands at random times.  Not enough to prevent me from working, but enough to make me think that the development process has not been rigorous enough.

Eventually, I am sure that we will be migrating to modern versions of PostgreSQL and therefore to pgAdmin 4.  I've glanced at it.  My initial, uneducated impression is that changes were made from pgAdmin III for little reason other than change itself.  I would have much preferred to see it keep the same UI rather than moving to a browser.

But because PostgreSQL is such a successful database platform, used by thousands upon thousands of mission-critical applications, it is incumbent on the developer community to ensure that its administration tool works well, and that upgrades do not break existing features.  If, as you say, we should not count on the developers of pgAdmin 4 to ensure that upgrades do not break existing features, then please suggest a professionally developed, professionally supported alternative that we can pay for and get the quality assurance that we, as professional developers and users, should expect.

Rob Richardson

[...]

Hello.

pgAdmin v4.25 has yet again broken something. After being harassed to upgrade to the latest version, pgAdmin has stopped opening itself properly.

Snip.

Your experience is vastly different than mine. I use pgadmin 4 every day. It has only improved by leaps and bounds since initial release. If I see an opportunity for improvement, I submit a feature request in Redmine. More often than not, my request eventually gets acted on or, if not, declined with a good reason.

I lurk here daily because it's fun watching a well-run dev team work in predictable, rapid cycles. Bugs get handled.

Your use is an edge case for a browser that has barely any market share. Fine if you want to run life that way, but don't expect smooth sailing.

Your situation is an edge case,
Hi,

[...]

I have tested pgAdmin 4 v4.25 on MacOS with Firefox browser and it is working fine.
My command:  "/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox" "%URL%" -p testprofile

Is there no quality assurance for this program? I have never encountered any software in my life which breaks as frequently as this... which says a lot.

If I go to the notification icon of pgAdmin, right click it and click "New pgAdmin window", it opens in the right profile, as it's supposed to. So clearly it's *able* to do it, somehow, but only in this weird way. It would mean many clicks each time I want to open pgAdmin and doesn't address the actual problem.

In desperation, I even tried to make a completely new Pale Moon shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p "pgAdmin" --no-remote "http://127.0.0.1:49707/browser/"

But then it just says:

> Unauthorized
> The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

I have no idea how this is even technically possible, but v4.25 clearly has broken *something*.

If this sounds "rude", it's because I feel horribly insulted as a user when this mission-critical software (because it *is* mission-critical) keeps breaking in weird ways. I've plowed down countless hours of my life just working around bugs and "features" added to pgAdmin 4. I feel like I'm *fighting against* it rather than using a great tool. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to make my own database manager, since pgAdmin 4 is not just very slow and glitchy, but downright *broken* now.

And how do I turn off that nag screen which constantly keeps pestering me to "upgrade" to the new version, which is very likely to break everything? I want to disable that message so I never have to see it and never have to get another broken pgAdmin version on my system ever again. I would go through this Hell at the most once a year or something.

To disable the upgrade notification set UPGRADE_CHECK_ENABLED = False. Please refer https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/4.25/config_py.html to overide the default settings.
Also, you can log the bug/feature request @ https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4

Thanks,
Khushboo
It feels like I'm one some kind of "bleeding edge" branch rather than the stable/production one. Please consider testing your software before releasing it.

I truly don't understand how you can keep doing this to your users. Do you hate us? There are some really good ideas and neat features inside this program, but it's hidden behind all these layers of madness which ruins the entire experience and cripples the user when they need it the most.

I could very well never even have found the work-around. Most users probably would not have tried half of what I've tried to get this to work.
https://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/

I don't think any software developer sets out for change for change's sake. If I recall the reasons for the change to a web based system were the larger number of developers who can code in javascript (which is hardly debatable).

It's incumbent upon the person using any software to ensure that they can either maintain it themselves, are happy with the general direction and for others to lead, or can find someone and afford to pay them to maintain their interests on their behalf. In this way open source is no different from commercial software, the difference with FOSS is that the first two are options and you are not reliant on any one entity. Leaving aside any TCO issues. Or you can fork the project and take it in a complety different direction if you're not happy with the direction. The fact that you haven't suggests you don't care enough to do so.

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 13:50 Rob Richardson, <interrobang@yahoo.com

 please suggest a professionally developed, professionally supported alternative that we can pay for and get the quality assurance that we, as professional developers and users, should expect.

Hi Bob,

pgAdmin III is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT piece of software than pgAdmin 4. I used III for a number of years. I was never thrilled with it, but it did what I needed for me. For example, if I lost my connection to the server either voluntarily or because I closed my laptop, I could not allow the program to reconnect — I had to terminate the command I was trying, close the window and reopen it, else the program would bomb. pgAdmin IV at least does recover quite well from this situation.

pgAdmin 4 is a re-implementation of much of the functionality of pgAdmin III, but in a browser environment rather than a standalone program. It runs a server or daemon in the background on your machine to maintain a connection to the database and feed information to your browser window. Some people like the browser-based implementation, others do not. But it would be a mistake to judge pgAdmin 4 by your experience with pgAdmin III.

Jack

[...]

Hello

pgAdmin v4.25 has yet again broken something. After being harassed to upgrade to the latest version, pgAdmin has stopped opening itself properly.

   Upgrade to the latest version may be annoying to you, but it is good for others in the small world as they would like to see new features or bug fixes. So it's just an informative message from pgAdmin4 that a new version is available for use. Definitely it's *not mandatory* to download and install it. Users can easily disable the upgrade notification by setting UPGRADE_CHECK_ENABLED = False.

[...]

   Yes, I have verified it on Windows Server 2016 and it seems a weird bug to me because the same behavior I have verified on OSX and it is not reproducible. The codebase is same for all the platforms. We are using the QSettings class to read the settings configured by the user "QString cmd = settings.value("BrowserCommand").toString();"  On Windows it reads the registry and on OSX it reads the .plist file. Below is the screenshot of my windows registry
           RegEdit.png
   pgAdmin4 reads the same registry in both the scenarios (At the time of launch and right-click on the tray icon and then click on "New pgAdmin window"). Sometimes it happens when some other library or framework behaves differently, it doesn't mean that pgAdmin4 breaks frequently and having no quality assurance.

   Anyways we will investigate the above scenario and try to fix it.

Is there no quality assurance for this program? I have never encountered any software in my life which breaks as frequently as this... which says a lot.

If I go to the notification icon of pgAdmin, right click it and click "New pgAdmin window", it opens in the right profile, as it's supposed to. So clearly it's *able* to do it, somehow, but only in this weird way. It would mean many clicks each time I want to open pgAdmin and doesn't address the actual problem.

In desperation, I even tried to make a completely new Pale Moon shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p "pgAdmin" --no-remote "http://127.0.0.1:49707/browser/"

But then it just says:

> Unauthorized
> The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

I have no idea how this is even technically possible, but v4.25 clearly has broken *something*.

If this sounds "rude", it's because I feel horribly insulted as a user when this mission-critical software (because it *is* mission-critical) keeps breaking in weird ways. I've plowed down countless hours of my life just working around bugs and "features" added to pgAdmin 4. I feel like I'm *fighting against* it rather than using a great tool. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to make my own database manager, since pgAdmin 4 is not just very slow and glitchy, but downright *broken* now.

   Yes, this sounds rude, for the developer who works a lot to make this software better even though it is open-source. In my opinion, very fewer people are *fighting against* it and most of the people are using it. Adding new features and fixing bugs is a part of the product development life cycle. pgAdmin4 developers working hard to provide the features that users want and we have a one-month release cycle so that users will get something(maybe new feature or bug fixes) after every month.

   Patches are welcome, we will be happy to review/commit those.

And how do I turn off that nag screen which constantly keeps pestering me to "upgrade" to the new version, which is very likely to break everything? I want to disable that message so I never have to see it and never have to get another broken pgAdmin version on my system ever again. I would go through this Hell at the most once a year or something.

It feels like I'm one some kind of "bleeding edge" branch rather than the stable/production one. Please consider testing your software before releasing it.

   We have already taken care of the testing of the software before releasing it. I don't think any software gets released without testing.

I truly don't understand how you can keep doing this to your users. Do you hate us? There are some really good ideas and neat features inside this program, but it's hidden behind all these layers of madness which ruins the entire experience and cripples the user when they need it the most.

   We try our best to keep users happy, there is no room to hate anybody in this small world :)

--
Thanks & Regards
Akshay Joshi

Attachment
Hi Rob,
I have the same bad experience as you with PgAdmin4. We are also using pgAdmin3 so far and I was very excited to test the new version.
Alas, I have so many issues that, if I had tested the 2 versions separately, I would have said that the old one is v4.
Among the issues I got, keyboard shortcuts don’t work, I am not allowed to cancel my own queries, object refresh is damn slow, I get unexpected errors when visualizing a table, I can’t use Firefox since the Key is always changing for some reason ...
It’s amazing to see these discrepancies on basic functions whereas many advanced bugs seem to be worked and fixed.
I also hate having to use the browser instead of a standalone app. I lose everything when I need to close my browser.
Personal preferences.
I am stuck on postgresql 8, which certainly doesn’t help.
But they are right, they owe us absolutely nothing since we don’t pay them.
They don’t even have to provide you alternatives.
You should stop complaining.
In my company’s environment, pgAdmin4,is not usable.
We will continue to use  pgAdmin3, and I am thinking about developing a GUI for basic stuff (run query, export results, explain plan, display tables details etc) which is 99% of our activities.
Python has some very good libraries for that. If you have a good set of developers, it might make sense.
You could easily do some nice enhancements like exporting as excel with 3 lines of code, automating stuff etc.
On windows, i have tested a few free alternatives but found nothing significantly better than pgAdmin3
On Mac, some folks are using Postico.
Their Windows version is unfortunately not usable.

Sent from my mobile phone

[...]

Why? Why would I stop complaining if something is wrong? That's when you are *supposed* to complain. Just because something doesn't cost money doesn't mean it's free. I've paid dearly with blood, sweat and tears. Maybe you consider your time and energy to be worthless, but I don't. In fact, it's far more valuable to me than money. I just don't *have* any money.

I'm really trying to not sound rude, and I often feel bad when I later read replies, but I apparently just can't help it. I *do* feel that they "owe" me a basic stable/sensible PG management software, in some philosophical sense. Not everything is about money. This mentality must end. It's ruined this world.

You’re an ass!

Great argument. I'm won over. It's clear that you're a very intelligent and mature person who doesn't make yourself look incredibly stupid at all. So short, yet so powerful. Your reply has profoundly changed my entire worldview...