pgbuildfarm.org domain expired

From
Michael Banck
Date:
Hi,

not sure this is the best place to report this, but it seems the
pgbuildfarm.org domain has expired as of now. That leaves quite a few
dead links on e.g. wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQ
L_Buildfarm_Howto

Is this something that was expected (maybe as part of a move to
buildfarm.postgresql.org?)?

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz

Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 10/25/2018 10:47 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> not sure this is the best place to report this, but it seems the
> pgbuildfarm.org domain has expired as of now. That leaves quite a few
> dead links on e.g. wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQ
> L_Buildfarm_Howto
>
> Is this something that was expected (maybe as part of a move to
> buildfarm.postgresql.org?)?

Josh Drake, did you let this expire? It shouldn't do. If you don't want
to maintain it please assign it to the community or to me.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Michael Banck (michael.banck@credativ.de) wrote:
> not sure this is the best place to report this, but it seems the
> pgbuildfarm.org domain has expired as of now. That leaves quite a few
> dead links on e.g. wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQ
> L_Buildfarm_Howto
>
> Is this something that was expected (maybe as part of a move to
> buildfarm.postgresql.org?)?

As you likely saw, no, this wasn't intentional.  That said, newer
versions of the buildfarm code already use
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org in the example config and any buildfarm
members impacted should be able to update their config to use that.

Perhaps we should post that to the buildfarm members list...?

We could also update the wiki pages to refer to buildfarm.postgresql.org
as well.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Michael Banck (michael.banck@credativ.de) wrote:
> not sure this is the best place to report this, but it seems the
> pgbuildfarm.org domain has expired as of now. That leaves quite a few
> dead links on e.g. wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQ
> L_Buildfarm_Howto
>
> Is this something that was expected (maybe as part of a move to
> buildfarm.postgresql.org?)?

As you likely saw, no, this wasn't intentional.  That said, newer
versions of the buildfarm code already use
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org in the example config and any buildfarm
members impacted should be able to update their config to use that.

Perhaps we should post that to the buildfarm members list...?

We could also update the wiki pages to refer to buildfarm.postgresql.org
as well.

I think that would be a good idea in general, so if someone has the time to over it and do that, big +1 for that. (I don't think it's easy to machine-change it)

But given that we should still try to ressurect that domain name, there are likely a lot of links that are going to stay around for quite some time.
--

Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > Perhaps we should post that to the buildfarm members list...?
> >
> > We could also update the wiki pages to refer to buildfarm.postgresql.org
> > as well.
>
> I think that would be a good idea in general, so if someone has the time to
> over it and do that, big +1 for that. (I don't think it's easy to
> machine-change it)

Ok, I'll post to the buildfarm-members list.  If someone has time to
work on updating the wiki, that would be great.

> But given that we should still try to ressurect that domain name, there are
> likely a lot of links that are going to stay around for quite some time.

Yes, I certainly agree that we should try to ressurect the domain too.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

On 10/25/2018 11:10 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>>> Perhaps we should post that to the buildfarm members list...?
>>>
>>> We could also update the wiki pages to refer to buildfarm.postgresql.org
>>> as well.
>> I think that would be a good idea in general, so if someone has the time to
>> over it and do that, big +1 for that. (I don't think it's easy to
>> machine-change it)
> Ok, I'll post to the buildfarm-members list.  If someone has time to
> work on updating the wiki, that would be great.

I have updated the wiki.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 10/25/2018 11:10 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:

> >>I think that would be a good idea in general, so if someone has the time to
> >>over it and do that, big +1 for that. (I don't think it's easy to
> >>machine-change it)
> >Ok, I'll post to the buildfarm-members list.  If someone has time to
> >work on updating the wiki, that would be great.
>
> I have updated the wiki.

Great, thanks, I've email'd the buildfarm-members list and provided
instructions for buildfarm admins.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 10/25/18 7:54 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 10/25/2018 10:47 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> not sure this is the best place to report this, but it seems the
>> pgbuildfarm.org domain has expired as of now. That leaves quite a few
>> dead links on e.g. wiki here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQ
>> L_Buildfarm_Howto
>>
>> Is this something that was expected (maybe as part of a move to
>> buildfarm.postgresql.org?)?
>>

> Josh Drake, did you let this expire? It shouldn't do. If you don't
> want to maintain it please assign it to the community or to me.

Sorry just saw this. Yes I let it expire. I didn't think we needed it
anymore because we have been using the postgresql.org domain for years.
I can get it renewed.

JD

> cheers
>
> andrew

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

On 10/25/2018 12:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 10/25/18 7:54 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>

>> On 10/25/2018 10:47 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> not sure this is the best place to report this, but it seems the
>>> pgbuildfarm.org domain has expired as of now. That leaves quite a few
>>> dead links on e.g. wiki here:
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQ
>>> L_Buildfarm_Howto
>>>
>>> Is this something that was expected (maybe as part of a move to
>>> buildfarm.postgresql.org?)?
>>>

>> Josh Drake, did you let this expire? It shouldn't do. If you don't
>> want to maintain it please assign it to the community or to me.
>
> Sorry just saw this. Yes I let it expire. I didn't think we needed it
> anymore because we have been using the postgresql.org domain for
> years. I can get it renewed.

There are still places with URLs that refer to it in newsgroup archives,
mailing lists and the like, so we'll need to CNAME pointer indefinitely.

cheers

andrew

Date:
Greetings,

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 10/25/2018 12:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>Josh Drake, did you let this expire? It shouldn't do. If you don't want
> >>to maintain it please assign it to the community or to me.
> >
> >Sorry just saw this. Yes I let it expire. I didn't think we needed it
> >anymore because we have been using the postgresql.org domain for years. I
> >can get it renewed.
>
> There are still places with URLs that refer to it in newsgroup archives,
> mailing lists and the like, so we'll need to CNAME pointer indefinitely.

Having it immediately renewed is good but it's pretty clear that this
domain should be migrated under PGCAC to be maintained with the
postgresql.org and other community domains and run off of the
postgresql.org name servers.

I'm happy to work to implement the domain on the postgresql.org name
servers so that when the registration transfer is done everything is
smoothly transistioned.

Christopher, Joshua, please let me know the timing of that transistion,
so that the postgresql.org nameservers have the up-to-date and correct
information for the domain.  If there are any additional records beyond
the obvious ones, please let me know, so that they can be included.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
> * Andrew Dunstan (andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:

> > >Sorry just saw this. Yes I let it expire. I didn't think we needed it
> > >anymore because we have been using the postgresql.org domain for years. I
> > >can get it renewed.
> >
> > There are still places with URLs that refer to it in newsgroup archives,
> > mailing lists and the like, so we'll need to CNAME pointer indefinitely.
>
> Having it immediately renewed is good but it's pretty clear that this
> domain should be migrated under PGCAC to be maintained with the
> postgresql.org and other community domains and run off of the
> postgresql.org name servers.
>
> I'm happy to work to implement the domain on the postgresql.org name
> servers so that when the registration transfer is done everything is
> smoothly transistioned.
>
> Christopher, Joshua, please let me know the timing of that transistion,
> so that the postgresql.org nameservers have the up-to-date and correct
> information for the domain.  If there are any additional records beyond
> the obvious ones, please let me know, so that they can be included.

Note also that the current DNS records on buildfarm.org are incorrect:

➜  ~ host www.pgbuildfarm.org
www.pgbuildfarm.org is an alias for brentalia.postgresql.org.
brentalia.postgresql.org has address 72.32.157.217
brentalia.postgresql.org has IPv6 address 2001:4800:3e1:1::217

www.pgbuildfarm.org is correct since it's just a CNAME to brentalia, but
pgbuildfarm.org itself is *not* correct and points to outdated IPs:

➜  ~ host pgbuildfarm.org
pgbuildfarm.org has address 174.143.35.217
pgbuildfarm.org has IPv6 address 2001:4800:1501:1::217
pgbuildfarm.org mail is handled by 10 pgbuildfarm.org.

Further, there really shouldn't be an MX there.  brentalia certainly
doesn't accept inbound SMTP connections, and if we did have
@pgbuildfarm.org addresses, the MX listed would be for our frontend mail
servers, which would handle routing the email appropriately to our
backend list server or mailbox server.

Naturally, this is another reason to have the domain migrated to PGCAC
and the nameservers handling the domain be the postgresql.org ones,
since we do have to handle migrating servers from time to time (as was
just recently done), and that includes updating nameservers (which we
have plans to do as we expand our infrastructure out into the
Asia/Pacific region).

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

On 10/31/2018 01:58 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
>> * Andrew Dunstan (andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:

>>> There are still places with URLs that refer to it in newsgroup archives,
>>> mailing lists and the like, so we'll need to CNAME pointer indefinitely.
>> Having it immediately renewed is good but it's pretty clear that this
>> domain should be migrated under PGCAC to be maintained with the
>> postgresql.org and other community domains and run off of the
>> postgresql.org name servers.
>>
>> I'm happy to work to implement the domain on the postgresql.org name
>> servers so that when the registration transfer is done everything is
>> smoothly transistioned.
>>
>> Christopher, Joshua, please let me know the timing of that transistion,
>> so that the postgresql.org nameservers have the up-to-date and correct
>> information for the domain.  If there are any additional records beyond
>> the obvious ones, please let me know, so that they can be included.
> Note also that the current DNS records on buildfarm.org are incorrect:
>
> ➜  ~ host www.pgbuildfarm.org
> www.pgbuildfarm.org is an alias for brentalia.postgresql.org.
> brentalia.postgresql.org has address 72.32.157.217
> brentalia.postgresql.org has IPv6 address 2001:4800:3e1:1::217
>
> www.pgbuildfarm.org is correct since it's just a CNAME to brentalia, but
> pgbuildfarm.org itself is *not* correct and points to outdated IPs:
>
> ➜  ~ host pgbuildfarm.org
> pgbuildfarm.org has address 174.143.35.217
> pgbuildfarm.org has IPv6 address 2001:4800:1501:1::217
> pgbuildfarm.org mail is handled by 10 pgbuildfarm.org.
>
> Further, there really shouldn't be an MX there.  brentalia certainly
> doesn't accept inbound SMTP connections, and if we did have
> @pgbuildfarm.org addresses, the MX listed would be for our frontend mail
> servers, which would handle routing the email appropriately to our
> backend list server or mailbox server.
>
> Naturally, this is another reason to have the domain migrated to PGCAC
> and the nameservers handling the domain be the postgresql.org ones,
> since we do have to handle migrating servers from time to time (as was
> just recently done), and that includes updating nameservers (which we
> have plans to do as we expand our infrastructure out into the
> Asia/Pacific region).

Since JD was prepared to let the domain expire I assume he's equally
prepared to assign it to PGCAC. The you can set it up however you think
best.

cheers

andrew