Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pgbuildfarm.org domain expired
Date
List pgsql-www
Greetings,

* Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
> * Andrew Dunstan (andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:

> > >Sorry just saw this. Yes I let it expire. I didn't think we needed it
> > >anymore because we have been using the postgresql.org domain for years. I
> > >can get it renewed.
> >
> > There are still places with URLs that refer to it in newsgroup archives,
> > mailing lists and the like, so we'll need to CNAME pointer indefinitely.
>
> Having it immediately renewed is good but it's pretty clear that this
> domain should be migrated under PGCAC to be maintained with the
> postgresql.org and other community domains and run off of the
> postgresql.org name servers.
>
> I'm happy to work to implement the domain on the postgresql.org name
> servers so that when the registration transfer is done everything is
> smoothly transistioned.
>
> Christopher, Joshua, please let me know the timing of that transistion,
> so that the postgresql.org nameservers have the up-to-date and correct
> information for the domain.  If there are any additional records beyond
> the obvious ones, please let me know, so that they can be included.

Note also that the current DNS records on buildfarm.org are incorrect:

➜  ~ host www.pgbuildfarm.org
www.pgbuildfarm.org is an alias for brentalia.postgresql.org.
brentalia.postgresql.org has address 72.32.157.217
brentalia.postgresql.org has IPv6 address 2001:4800:3e1:1::217

www.pgbuildfarm.org is correct since it's just a CNAME to brentalia, but
pgbuildfarm.org itself is *not* correct and points to outdated IPs:

➜  ~ host pgbuildfarm.org
pgbuildfarm.org has address 174.143.35.217
pgbuildfarm.org has IPv6 address 2001:4800:1501:1::217
pgbuildfarm.org mail is handled by 10 pgbuildfarm.org.

Further, there really shouldn't be an MX there.  brentalia certainly
doesn't accept inbound SMTP connections, and if we did have
@pgbuildfarm.org addresses, the MX listed would be for our frontend mail
servers, which would handle routing the email appropriately to our
backend list server or mailbox server.

Naturally, this is another reason to have the domain migrated to PGCAC
and the nameservers handling the domain be the postgresql.org ones,
since we do have to handle migrating servers from time to time (as was
just recently done), and that includes updating nameservers (which we
have plans to do as we expand our infrastructure out into the
Asia/Pacific region).

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment