[HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

Date:
I would like to run pgindent on the head source tree this Wednesday
afternoon, UTC.   Is that OK for everyone?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2017-05-14 09:53:17 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I would like to run pgindent on the head source tree this Wednesday
> afternoon, UTC.   Is that OK for everyone?

Shouldn't we do that before we branch? And if Thursday still is the
intended alpha/beta release date, Wednesday would be too late, no?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> On 2017-05-14 09:53:17 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I would like to run pgindent on the head source tree this Wednesday
> > afternoon, UTC.   Is that OK for everyone?
>
> Shouldn't we do that before we branch? And if Thursday still is the
> intended alpha/beta release date, Wednesday would be too late, no?

Releasing alpha/beta is not the same as branching, which I didn't expect
us to do for a while yet..

Thanks!

Stephen

Date:
On 2017-05-14 17:22:16 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> > On 2017-05-14 09:53:17 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I would like to run pgindent on the head source tree this Wednesday
> > > afternoon, UTC.   Is that OK for everyone?
> >
> > Shouldn't we do that before we branch? And if Thursday still is the
> > intended alpha/beta release date, Wednesday would be too late, no?
>
> Releasing alpha/beta is not the same as branching, which I didn't expect
> us to do for a while yet..

Well, tagging then.  Imo it still should be done before we tag
beta1/alpha1.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Date:
* Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> On 2017-05-14 17:22:16 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> > >
> > > Shouldn't we do that before we branch? And if Thursday still is the
> > > intended alpha/beta release date, Wednesday would be too late, no?
> >
> > Releasing alpha/beta is not the same as branching, which I didn't expect
> > us to do for a while yet..
>
> Well, tagging then.  Imo it still should be done before we tag
> beta1/alpha1.

For my 2c, at least, I'm not sure I see why that matters all that
much..?  I'm not against doing the pgindent run today, to be clear, but
I don't follow what the harm is with waiting until Wednesday.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

Date:
> On 2017-05-14 17:22:16 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Releasing alpha/beta is not the same as branching, which I didn't expect
>> us to do for a while yet..

> Well, tagging then.  Imo it still should be done before we tag
> beta1/alpha1.

Too late, IMO.  Yeah, I'd have preferred to pgindent before beta1 too,
just in case pgindent breaks something ... but it's been a long time
since that happened, so realistically, not having done it yet is not
going to meaningfully degrade the relevance of beta testing.

At this point, for Bruce to do it before the wrap, he'd pretty much
have to do it tonight, which we already agreed among the release team
is not enough notice.

Also, I liked the approach Robert took last year where he did a dry
run and then manually fixed places that he saw would get messed up
by pgindent.  That's a lot more pleasant than undoing such damage
afterwards.  I don't know if Robert plans to do that this year, but if
not, I'm planning to get to it tomorrow or Tuesday.  I can't do it
right now because I'm still on higher-priority tasks.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

Date:
> I would like to run pgindent on the head source tree this Wednesday
> afternoon, UTC.   Is that OK for everyone?

I've been doing some preliminary checking on what pgindent will do,
and I notice that some typedef names are getting misindented because
they are not in the current buildfarm typedef list.

Specifically, we don't seem to have entries for any of the typedefs
associated with the ICU code, eg UChar.  This is not terribly
surprising since none of the buildfarm critters contributing typedef
lists are building with --with-icu.  It looks like only these
critters are building with ICU:
calliphoridaeculicidaemylodonprionskink

Perhaps one of them could enable typedef collection?

If that can be spun up quickly, I'd recommend holding off the
pgindent run till we get results.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On 2017-05-16 18:43:22 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Specifically, we don't seem to have entries for any of the typedefs
> associated with the ICU code, eg UChar.  This is not terribly
> surprising since none of the buildfarm critters contributing typedef
> lists are building with --with-icu.  It looks like only these
> critters are building with ICU:
>
>  calliphoridae
>  culicidae
>  mylodon
>  prion
>  skink
>
> Perhaps one of them could enable typedef collection?

I tried to enable it on calliphoridae, not sure how the min_hours_since
logic works, and forced a run on HEAD.  Chose calliphoridae because runs
are reasonably quick and -DDCOPY_PARSE_PLAN_TREES -DRAW_EXPRESSION_COVERAGE_TEST
shouldn't affect typedef results.

Shouldn't take too long.

No clue if there's some switch that needs to be toggled on the buildfarm
side to accept the typedefs, I've never looked at that side of things.

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

Date:
> No clue if there's some switch that needs to be toggled on the buildfarm
> side to accept the typedefs, I've never looked at that side of things.

AFAIK, not; I think it just takes any typedef reports that aren't too
stale.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On 2017-05-16 18:56:57 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > No clue if there's some switch that needs to be toggled on the buildfarm
> > side to accept the typedefs, I've never looked at that side of things.
>
> AFAIK, not; I think it just takes any typedef reports that aren't too
> stale.

Cool.

There we go:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=calliphoridae&dt=2017-05-16%2023:16:53&stg=typedefs

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

From
Andrew Dunstan

On 05/16/2017 06:54 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-05-16 18:43:22 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Specifically, we don't seem to have entries for any of the typedefs
>> associated with the ICU code, eg UChar.  This is not terribly
>> surprising since none of the buildfarm critters contributing typedef
>> lists are building with --with-icu.  It looks like only these
>> critters are building with ICU:
>>
>>  calliphoridae
>>  culicidae
>>  mylodon
>>  prion
>>  skink
>>
>> Perhaps one of them could enable typedef collection?
> I tried to enable it on calliphoridae, not sure how the min_hours_since
> logic works, and forced a run on HEAD.  Chose calliphoridae because runs
> are reasonably quick and -DDCOPY_PARSE_PLAN_TREES -DRAW_EXPRESSION_COVERAGE_TEST
> shouldn't affect typedef results.
>
> Shouldn't take too long.
>
> No clue if there's some switch that needs to be toggled on the buildfarm
> side to accept the typedefs, I've never looked at that side of things.

prion has done a run. UChar is now in the list.

cheers

andrew

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

Date:
> There we go:
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=calliphoridae&dt=2017-05-16%2023:16:53&stg=typedefs

Yup, looks good now.  Thanks!

BTW, comparing the typedef list to what I got a few hours ago, I see
that "Function" is now a known type name, along with the UWhatever
symbols from ICU.  I wonder where that came from?  A quick grep
suggests that it's not going to mess anything up too badly, but it
sure seems like a poor choice for a globally visible typedef name.
        regards, tom lane

On 05/16/2017 08:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> There we go:
>> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=calliphoridae&dt=2017-05-16%2023:16:53&stg=typedefs
> Yup, looks good now.  Thanks!
>
> BTW, comparing the typedef list to what I got a few hours ago, I see
> that "Function" is now a known type name, along with the UWhatever
> symbols from ICU.  I wonder where that came from?  A quick grep
> suggests that it's not going to mess anything up too badly, but it
> sure seems like a poor choice for a globally visible typedef name.

There is a place in pgindent around line 139 where we filter out
typedefs we don't want. You could add it there of you were so inclined.
I agree this seems like a remarkably bad choice of name.

cheers

andrew

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

Date:
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:39:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > There we go:
> > https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=calliphoridae&dt=2017-05-16%2023:16:53&stg=typedefs
>
> Yup, looks good now.  Thanks!
>
> BTW, comparing the typedef list to what I got a few hours ago, I see
> that "Function" is now a known type name, along with the UWhatever
> symbols from ICU.  I wonder where that came from?  A quick grep
> suggests that it's not going to mess anything up too badly, but it
> sure seems like a poor choice for a globally visible typedef name.

OK, I assume we are good to go for Wednesday afternoon, UTC.  Thanks for
the research.

Date:
> OK, I assume we are good to go for Wednesday afternoon, UTC.  Thanks for
> the research.

Yeah, I think we're ready, unless anyone has a large patch they want
to stick in first ...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On 2017-05-16 21:02:19 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, I assume we are good to go for Wednesday afternoon, UTC.  Thanks for
> > the research.
>
> Yeah, I think we're ready, unless anyone has a large patch they want
> to stick in first ...

I've this pending JIT support...

Re: [HACKERS] PG10 pgindent run

Date:
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 06:06:35PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-05-16 21:02:19 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > OK, I assume we are good to go for Wednesday afternoon, UTC.  Thanks for
> > > the research.
> >
> > Yeah, I think we're ready, unless anyone has a large patch they want
> > to stick in first ...
>
> I've this pending JIT support...

That went in April 1.  ;-)

Date:
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 09:00:38PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:39:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> writes:
> > > There we go:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=calliphoridae&dt=2017-05-16%2023:16:53&stg=typedefs

> > Yup, looks good now.  Thanks!
> >
> > BTW, comparing the typedef list to what I got a few hours ago, I see
> > that "Function" is now a known type name, along with the UWhatever
> > symbols from ICU.  I wonder where that came from?  A quick grep
> > suggests that it's not going to mess anything up too badly, but it
> > sure seems like a poor choice for a globally visible typedef name.
>
> OK, I assume we are good to go for Wednesday afternoon, UTC.  Thanks for
> the research.

Done.

http://enterprisedb.com