Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Before we get to beta, I'd love to add Postgres.app to the downloads
page.  Any objections?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?

Date:
On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 03:41:54PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Before we get to beta, I'd love to add Postgres.app to the downloads
> page.  Any objections?

What does that do?

http://enterprisedb.com

Date:
On 5/9/12 3:45 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 03:41:54PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Before we get to beta, I'd love to add Postgres.app to the downloads
>> page.  Any objections?
>
> What does that do?

User-friendly mac-native installer.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On 10 May 2012 00:02, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/12 3:45 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 03:41:54PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Before we get to beta, I'd love to add Postgres.app to the downloads
>>> page.  Any objections?
>>
>> What does that do?
>
> User-friendly mac-native installer.

I agree with the idea. it's mostly for web developers who sometimes
need to quickly run Postgres to test their application. Users don't
have to install a service.

Re: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On May 9, 2012, at 7:56 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> On 10 May 2012 00:02, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>>> What does that do?
>>
>> User-friendly mac-native installer.
>
> I agree with the idea. it's mostly for web developers who sometimes
> need to quickly run Postgres to test their application. Users don't
> have to install a service.

One of the most frequent questions I get from OS X users is "I'm having trouble installing Postgres - how do I do it?"
-apparently building from source on OS X is in vogue :-)

That said, I would agree with adding the OS X installer to the downloads.  There are some alternative ways of
installingit on OS X as well, but we want to make it as simple as possible.

Jonathan

Re: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/12 3:45 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 03:41:54PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Before we get to beta, I'd love to add Postgres.app to the downloads
>>> page.  Any objections?
>>
>> What does that do?
>
> User-friendly mac-native installer.

Assuming that Mac users like it (which several have said they do), I
see no reason not to. Three things, however:

We need a good description that sets it apart from the other options
that are on the mac download page already. For example, it's
"user-friendly mac-native" - how is that different from the EDB
installer? (Humor me, I know very little about this part of the mac..)

Do we know if the author is going to be keeping up properly with
updates and patch releases? Is he (it's a guy? or a team?) on the
packagers list? Should be?

From what I can tell the installer itself is in beta. Should we
perhaps wait until it's release-ready?

Other than that, +1 ;)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Date:
> We need a good description that sets it apart from the other options
> that are on the mac download page already. For example, it's
> "user-friendly mac-native" - how is that different from the EDB
> installer? (Humor me, I know very little about this part of the mac..)

Well, this is the official description:

Postgres.app is the easiest way to get started with PostgreSQL on the
Mac. Open the app, and you have a PostgreSQL server ready and awaiting
new connections. Close the app, and the server shuts down.

Is that too long?

> Do we know if the author is going to be keeping up properly with
> updates and patch releases? Is he (it's a guy? or a team?) on the
> packagers list? Should be?

It's Mattt at Heroku.  And yes, he should be on the packagers list.  He
will be keeping up with updates and new versions, although he may drop
old versions faster than our standard EOL policy.

I'll find his email address.

> From what I can tell the installer itself is in beta. Should we
> perhaps wait until it's release-ready?

Works now, at least on my mac.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> We need a good description that sets it apart from the other options
>> that are on the mac download page already. For example, it's
>> "user-friendly mac-native" - how is that different from the EDB
>> installer? (Humor me, I know very little about this part of the mac..)
>
> Well, this is the official description:
>
> Postgres.app is the easiest way to get started with PostgreSQL on the
> Mac. Open the app, and you have a PostgreSQL server ready and awaiting
> new connections. Close the app, and the server shuts down.
>
> Is that too long?

No, but I don't like calling it the easiest. It's the easiest to
install, if you want to avoid a few clicks through an installer, but
it doesn't include pgAdmin or give you easy access to other
tools/utilities so arguably it's not the easiest to actually use,
particularly for the typical Mac user who likes a GUI for that sort of
thing.

>> Do we know if the author is going to be keeping up properly with
>> updates and patch releases? Is he (it's a guy? or a team?) on the
>> packagers list? Should be?
>
> It's Mattt at Heroku.  And yes, he should be on the packagers list.  He
> will be keeping up with updates and new versions, although he may drop
> old versions faster than our standard EOL policy.

I think downloads on the "official" section should be expected to be
maintained in line with our published policy. I have no objection to
adding a new section to /download though (around where the VM images
etc. are).

> I'll find his email address.
>
>> From what I can tell the installer itself is in beta. Should we
>> perhaps wait until it's release-ready?
>
> Works now, at least on my mac.

Didn't on mine. The applet claims it's running on port 5432, but
that's actually a different server. The postgres.app one doesn't
appear to be running at all, so I assume it has not port conflict
detection. Not the end of the world, but could easily confuse people.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue may 10 03:01:22 -0400 2012:

> Do we know if the author is going to be keeping up properly with
> updates and patch releases? Is he (it's a guy? or a team?) on the
> packagers list? Should be?

Speaking of which, I noticed this morning that Fink is not up to date --
it only has 8.4.8, not 8.4.11.

Date:
On Thursday, May 10, 2012, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue may 10 03:01:22 -0400 2012:

> Do we know if the author is going to be keeping up properly with
> updates and patch releases? Is he (it's a guy? or a team?) on the
> packagers list? Should be?

Speaking of which, I noticed this morning that Fink is not up to date --
it only has 8.4.8, not 8.4.11.

Ouch.

Do we know the fink guy? Is he on the packagers list?

//Magnus

--

Date:
On Thursday, May 10, 2012, Josh Berkus wrote:

> We need a good description that sets it apart from the other options
> that are on the mac download page already. For example, it's
> "user-friendly mac-native" - how is that different from the EDB
> installer? (Humor me, I know very little about this part of the mac..)

Well, this is the official description:

Postgres.app is the easiest way to get started with PostgreSQL on the
Mac. Open the app, and you have a PostgreSQL server ready and awaiting
new connections. Close the app, and the server shuts down.

Is that too long?

Not necessarily, but as Dave said, it's probably not *correct*. Saying "it's the simplest way" is not very informative. We need something that tells people how it's *different* fro mthe other choices (and if that requires updating the descriptions of the other choices as well, that's fine by me)

> Do we know if the author is going to be keeping up properly with
> updates and patch releases? Is he (it's a guy? or a team?) on the
> packagers list? Should be?

It's Mattt at Heroku.  And yes, he should be on the packagers list.  He
will be keeping up with updates and new versions, although he may drop
old versions faster than our standard EOL policy.

Ah, didn't realize that. I guess then there might well be some other people there to back him up :)

Dropping old versions is perfectly ok - other packagers do that as well. But keeping up with the minors is very important.

I'll find his email address.

> From what I can tell the installer itself is in beta. Should we
> perhaps wait until it's release-ready?

Works now, at least on my mac.