Re: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> We need a good description that sets it apart from the other options
>> that are on the mac download page already. For example, it's
>> "user-friendly mac-native" - how is that different from the EDB
>> installer? (Humor me, I know very little about this part of the mac..)
>
> Well, this is the official description:
>
> Postgres.app is the easiest way to get started with PostgreSQL on the
> Mac. Open the app, and you have a PostgreSQL server ready and awaiting
> new connections. Close the app, and the server shuts down.
>
> Is that too long?

No, but I don't like calling it the easiest. It's the easiest to
install, if you want to avoid a few clicks through an installer, but
it doesn't include pgAdmin or give you easy access to other
tools/utilities so arguably it's not the easiest to actually use,
particularly for the typical Mac user who likes a GUI for that sort of
thing.

>> Do we know if the author is going to be keeping up properly with
>> updates and patch releases? Is he (it's a guy? or a team?) on the
>> packagers list? Should be?
>
> It's Mattt at Heroku.  And yes, he should be on the packagers list.  He
> will be keeping up with updates and new versions, although he may drop
> old versions faster than our standard EOL policy.

I think downloads on the "official" section should be expected to be
maintained in line with our published policy. I have no objection to
adding a new section to /download though (around where the VM images
etc. are).

> I'll find his email address.
>
>> From what I can tell the installer itself is in beta. Should we
>> perhaps wait until it's release-ready?
>
> Works now, at least on my mac.

Didn't on mine. The applet claims it's running on port 5432, but
that's actually a different server. The postgres.app one doesn't
appear to be running at all, so I assume it has not port conflict
detection. Not the end of the world, but could easily confuse people.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company