Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post)

From
David Fetter
Date:
Here we go again.

Can we ban these people now?

Cheers,
David.
On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:52:23PM -0300, pgsql-announce-owner@postgresql.org wrote:
> __
> The following request:
>
>   "(post to pgsql-announce)"
>
> was sent to postgresql.org
> by "Eero Teerikorpi" <eero.teerikorpi@continuent.com>.
>
> The request requires your confirmation for the following reason(s):
>
>   The author ("Eero Teerikorpi" <eero.teerikorpi@continuent.com>)
>   is not a member of any of the restrict_post groups.
>

> To accept or reject this request, please do one of the following:
>
> 1. If you have web browsing capability, visit
>    <http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_confirm/domain=postgresql.org?t=9442-92C3-C7E6>
>    and follow the instructions there.
>
> 2. Reply to majordomo@postgresql.org
>    with one of the following two commands in the body of the message:
>
>     accept
>     reject
>
>    (The number 9442-92C3-C7E6 must be in the Subject header)
>
> 3. Reply to majordomo@postgresql.org
>    with one of the following two commands in the body of the message:
>
>     accept 9442-92C3-C7E6
>     reject 9442-92C3-C7E6
>
> 4. If you know the administrative password for the pgsql-announce list,
>    all pending requests can be managed by visiting
>    <http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwadm/domain=postgresql.org/pgsql-announce?func=showtokens>
>
> If you do not respond within 7 days, this token will expire,
> and the request will not be completed.
>

> Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:51:15 -0500
> From: Eero Teerikorpi <eero.teerikorpi@continuent.com>
> To: pgsql-announce@postgresql.org
> Subject: Webcast - MySQL Zero-Downtime Operations - Thursday July 29 at
>  10AM PDT
>
> Tungsten Webcast - MySQL Multi-Master Replication
> Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM PDT/ 1:00 PM EDT
> https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/403285096
>
> Multi-master replication is necessary when applications needs to write to the same database server in more than one,
oftengeographically dispersed, places.

> Tungsten allows multiple replication services to write into a single database server. To use these capabilities
customerapplications must avoid creating conflicting updates, as Tungsten currently cannot handle these and will simply
stopwhen a conflict causes a SQL failure..

> Click to register here!
> https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/403285096
>

> Who Should Attend
> CTOs, VP Operations,
> VP Engineering, IT Directors,
> Database Administrators
>
> Date and Time
> Thursday
> August 5, 2010
> 10:00 AM PDT/ 1:00 PM EDT
>
> Speaker
> Robert Hodges, CTO
> Continuent, Inc.
>
> For more information, visit us at www.continuent.com | sales@continuent.com | (866) 998-3642
>
> If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please simply click on the following link:

Remember to vote!

Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post)

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 13:58 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> Here we go again.
>
> Can we ban these people now?

Dave Page and I are already in direct communication with them.

I believe we will continue the education our fine sponsors rather than
ban them.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 13:58 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> Here we go again.
>
> Can we ban these people now?

I have received a response from them that is quite blatantly NSFW. They
are quite contrite on this and are working to resolve the issues.

JD

--

Date:
On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 02:06:08PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 13:58 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > Here we go again.
> >
> > Can we ban these people now?
>
> Dave Page and I are already in direct communication with them.
>
> I believe we will continue the education our fine sponsors rather
> than ban them.

That sounds like an excellent idea!

What are your criteria for success in this endeavor, and what are the
criteria for taking more decisive action?  People in our community
have been "talking to" these folks for a lot of years, thus far
without effect, so I'm curious what makes you think this time will be
different, and more specifically, when you will decide that "talking
to" them is insufficient.

We need clear criteria here.  Will one more list spam do it?  Ten?  A
thousand?  Their track record makes it seem likely that they'll cross
each of those thresholds sooner rather than later.

Getting the criteria super clear and enunciated in advance will help a
lot when we do things broadly to mail from a domain.

We'll need to do this sometime, even if Continuent isn't the first we
need do it to.

Or are we going to sell spamming licenses?  That seems to be the
alternative.  What are they going to cost the first time?  The tenth?
How long will they be good for, and do we hit people up for automated
subscriptions?  I'm really curious as to how we're going to set this
up.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 14:20 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> That sounds like an excellent idea!

> What are your criteria for success in this endeavor, and what are the
> criteria for taking more decisive action?  People in our community
> have been "talking to" these folks for a lot of years, thus far
> without effect, so I'm curious what makes you think this time will be
> different, and more specifically, when you will decide that "talking
> to" them is insufficient.

When there is obvious intent to defraud our community in some way.
Ignorance, being busy and making mistakes doesn't imply that in any
way.

> We need clear criteria here.  Will one more list spam do it?  Ten?  A
> thousand?  Their track record makes it seem likely that they'll cross
> each of those thresholds sooner rather than later.

Well honestly, I don't really care about the announce spam. I know where
these guys are coming from and I feel for them. -announce is one address
our of likely a hundred thousand they are sending. If they have a legacy
database, or are using a service (which they are) it could be very easy
to have multiple points of failure.

> Or are we going to sell spamming licenses?  That seems to be the
> alternative.  What are they going to cost the first time?  The tenth?
> How long will they be good for, and do we hit people up for automated
> subscriptions?  I'm really curious as to how we're going to set this
> up.

Well to me we are solving a non-existent problem. It may be a problem in
the future but again, they aren't subscribing to lists and posting. They
send an email to our moderated announce list. It got rejected. They
aren't sending twenty a day or even one a day.

hitting ctrl-r, typing reject just doesn't take that much bandwidth.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post)

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 13:58 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > Here we go again.
> >
> > Can we ban these people now?
>
> Dave Page and I are already in direct communication with them.
>
> I believe we will continue the education our fine sponsors rather than
> ban them.

While you are communicating, it seems they continue spamming.  I will
not acccept any continuent's message to announce list until everybody
on the announce list aggree to accept them.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Date:
On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 02:25:23PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 14:20 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
>
> > That sounds like an excellent idea!
>
> > What are your criteria for success in this endeavor, and what are
> > the criteria for taking more decisive action?  People in our
> > community have been "talking to" these folks for a lot of years,
> > thus far without effect, so I'm curious what makes you think this
> > time will be different, and more specifically, when you will
> > decide that "talking to" them is insufficient.
>
> When there is obvious intent to defraud our community in some way.

That's a bold and unprecedented policy you just invented.

Until now, putting up something irrelevant has been plenty of reason
to reject any individual submission for the web site, and
too-often-repeated submissions, even when 100% relevant, have been
enough to get someone banned.  I can name at least one recent company
name if you insist.

If we're going to institute this, "it's only a spam if it's a scam"
policy, we need to get super clear as to what the effects of such a
policy will be.  That's probably a topic for a separate thread,
though, and probably consensus of -core, too.  It's really that big a
change.

> Ignorance, being busy and making mistakes doesn't imply that in any
> way.

Excellent point.  We need to develop the criteria for judging when the
assumption of good will has run out.  You may think it's further away
than I do, and that's why we need to get those criteria clear and in
advance.

I'd like to humbly recommend that we *not* abandon our extensive
records, which we'd be doing if we were to start from a blank slate
now.

> > We need clear criteria here.  Will one more list spam do it?  Ten?
> > A thousand?  Their track record makes it seem likely that they'll
> > cross each of those thresholds sooner rather than later.
>
> Well honestly, I don't really care about the announce spam. I know
> where these guys are coming from and I feel for them.

They've made choices, among them the choice to borrow money.  Are *we*
supposed to take responsibility for the choices they've made?

> -announce is one address our of likely a hundred thousand they are
> sending. If they have a legacy database, or are using a service
> (which they are) it could be very easy to have multiple points of
> failure.

Yes, there are points at which we'll have to judge that they failed
and take action, even if we assume it's all a terrible mix-up.

It's those points I'd like to help clarify.

> > Or are we going to sell spamming licenses?  That seems to be the
> > alternative.  What are they going to cost the first time?  The tenth?
> > How long will they be good for, and do we hit people up for automated
> > subscriptions?  I'm really curious as to how we're going to set this
> > up.
>
> Well to me we are solving a non-existent problem.

I'm pretty sure you're alone in that.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 8/2/10 3:00 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> Until now, putting up something irrelevant has been plenty of reason
> to reject any individual submission for the web site, and
> too-often-repeated submissions, even when 100% relevant, have been
> enough to get someone banned.  I can name at least one recent company
> name if you insist.

It's all a matter of degree.  The company we banned was not a supporter
of the project, was posting unacceptable content to our site several
times a week, and was not working on improving ... instead they were
*arguing* that we were wrong to censor them.  And *did* have allegations
of fraud, even though those were unproven.  And, in fact, when they
eventually mended their behavior we allowed them to post again, although
they seem to have gone out of business in the meantime.

Continuent, on the other hand, is a supporter of PostgreSQL.org with
both time and money, has only a few off-topic posts, and has been
profusely apologetic about their lack of list control.  I, for one,
value their contributions to the PostgreSQL community above their spam
issues.

As was earlier today pointed out to me about *individual* contributors,
should always be very cautious and hesitant to censure any contributor
who makes a mistake.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post)

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Continuent, on the other hand, is a supporter of PostgreSQL.org with
> both time and money, has only a few off-topic posts, and has been
> profusely apologetic about their lack of list control.

Right, I was a bit less ticked about discovering that my personal and
the pgsql-announce messages showed up again today after seeing Eero's
apology.  David, congratulations; I think you've finally escalated this
to reach the right level now, now that the company CEO is obviously
being embarrassed with each additional message that goes out.

Since this looks like an outsourcing job gone horribly awry that they
may not be able to confirm a fix of immediately, would it be reasonable
to ask for an expected resolution date from Continuent?  I think that if
they can commit to a relatively soon date for "this won't ever happen
again", that might be sufficient to send the angry villagers at home if
it holds this time.

Date:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 19:52 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Continuent, on the other hand, is a supporter of PostgreSQL.org with
> > both time and money, has only a few off-topic posts, and has been
> > profusely apologetic about their lack of list control.
>

> Since this looks like an outsourcing job gone horribly awry that they
> may not be able to confirm a fix of immediately, would it be reasonable
> to ask for an expected resolution date from Continuent?  I think that if
> they can commit to a relatively soon date for "this won't ever happen
> again", that might be sufficient to send the angry villagers at home if
> it holds this time.

Yes I think we can probably do that. I will talk with them tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:
>> Since this looks like an outsourcing job gone horribly awry that they
>> may not be able to confirm a fix of immediately, would it be reasonable
>> to ask for an expected resolution date from Continuent?  I think that if
>> they can commit to a relatively soon date for "this won't ever happen
>> again", that might be sufficient to send the angry villagers at home if
>> it holds this time.

Eero says that they've stopped the email campaign until they know what's
wrong.

Date:
On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 11:22:08AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> >> Since this looks like an outsourcing job gone horribly awry that they
> >> may not be able to confirm a fix of immediately, would it be reasonable
> >> to ask for an expected resolution date from Continuent?  I think that if
> >> they can commit to a relatively soon date for "this won't ever happen
> >> again", that might be sufficient to send the angry villagers at home if
> >> it holds this time.
>
> Eero says that they've stopped the email campaign until they know what's
> wrong.

That's great to hear!

Let's take this opportunity to create some policy around this, now
that we're not under the gun.

The "hey, you're sending a little more email than is appropriate" part
is pretty well covered.

The "you scraped the mailing lists and sent out marketing to everyone
you found" part is done a little too /ad hoc/ for my taste.  Maybe
some written policy about permissible behavior in this arena would
help clarify.

What say?

Cheers,
David.