Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From David Fetter
Subject Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post)
Date
Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post)  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 02:06:08PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 13:58 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > Here we go again.
> >
> > Can we ban these people now?
>
> Dave Page and I are already in direct communication with them.
>
> I believe we will continue the education our fine sponsors rather
> than ban them.

That sounds like an excellent idea!

What are your criteria for success in this endeavor, and what are the
criteria for taking more decisive action?  People in our community
have been "talking to" these folks for a lot of years, thus far
without effect, so I'm curious what makes you think this time will be
different, and more specifically, when you will decide that "talking
to" them is insufficient.

We need clear criteria here.  Will one more list spam do it?  Ten?  A
thousand?  Their track record makes it seem likely that they'll cross
each of those thresholds sooner rather than later.

Getting the criteria super clear and enunciated in advance will help a
lot when we do things broadly to mail from a domain.

We'll need to do this sometime, even if Continuent isn't the first we
need do it to.

Or are we going to sell spamming licenses?  That seems to be the
alternative.  What are they going to cost the first time?  The tenth?
How long will they be good for, and do we hit people up for automated
subscriptions?  I'm really curious as to how we're going to set this
up.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!