Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 9442-92C3-C7E6 : CONSULT from pgsql-announce (post)
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 14:20 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> That sounds like an excellent idea!

> What are your criteria for success in this endeavor, and what are the
> criteria for taking more decisive action?  People in our community
> have been "talking to" these folks for a lot of years, thus far
> without effect, so I'm curious what makes you think this time will be
> different, and more specifically, when you will decide that "talking
> to" them is insufficient.

When there is obvious intent to defraud our community in some way.
Ignorance, being busy and making mistakes doesn't imply that in any
way.

> We need clear criteria here.  Will one more list spam do it?  Ten?  A
> thousand?  Their track record makes it seem likely that they'll cross
> each of those thresholds sooner rather than later.

Well honestly, I don't really care about the announce spam. I know where
these guys are coming from and I feel for them. -announce is one address
our of likely a hundred thousand they are sending. If they have a legacy
database, or are using a service (which they are) it could be very easy
to have multiple points of failure.

> Or are we going to sell spamming licenses?  That seems to be the
> alternative.  What are they going to cost the first time?  The tenth?
> How long will they be good for, and do we hit people up for automated
> subscriptions?  I'm really curious as to how we're going to set this
> up.

Well to me we are solving a non-existent problem. It may be a problem in
the future but again, they aren't subscribing to lists and posting. They
send an email to our moderated announce list. It got rejected. They
aren't sending twenty a day or even one a day.

hitting ctrl-r, typing reject just doesn't take that much bandwidth.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor