Audio & Video?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Where should I upload audio & video files?  These are quite large, and
none of the existing servers will take them.

Do we need a new donated machine for this?

--Josh

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On 2/11/09, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Where should I upload audio & video files?  These are quite large, and
> none of the existing servers will take them.

What makes you say that?

> Do we need a new donated machine for this?

Err, no. We have plenty of hardware.

--
Dave Page

Re: Audio & Video?

Date:
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On 2/11/09, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Where should I upload audio & video files?  These are quite large, and
>> none of the existing servers will take them.

> What makes you say that?

If they're that large, what makes you think anyone will want to download
them?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Josh Berkus
Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> On 2/11/09, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Where should I upload audio & video files?  These are quite large, and
>>> none of the existing servers will take them.
>
>> What makes you say that?
>
> If they're that large, what makes you think anyone will want to download
> them?

Podcasts are a whole *industry* now.  If you hadn't noticed.

--Josh

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>>
>>> What makes you say that?
>>
>> If they're that large, what makes you think anyone will want to download
>> them?
>
> Podcasts are a whole *industry* now.  If you hadn't noticed.

so what exactly do you need?

Stefan

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> If they're that large, what makes you think anyone will want to download
>>> them?
>>
>> Podcasts are a whole *industry* now.  If you hadn't noticed.
>
> so what exactly do you need?

Well, for the immediate term just someplace I can upload large
audio/video files where users can download them.  For example, for the
SFPUG talk I just uploaded to the wiki, I have about 100MB of audio.
Next month, I'm expecting to have video of the SFPUG meeting.

Ultimately, I'd really like to have a podcast portion of the
postgresql.org which organizes this and presents it in a way that people
can easily find new stuff.  But we could wait for us to consistently
generate content, first.

--Josh

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Guido Barosio
Date:
Josh,

<quote>
I have about 100MB of audio
</quote>

One single piece of audio or several small pieces? Which compression
are you using?

gb.-

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>
>> Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> Podcasts are a whole *industry* now.  If you hadn't noticed.
>>
>> so what exactly do you need?
>
> Well, for the immediate term just someplace I can upload large audio/video
> files where users can download them.  For example, for the SFPUG talk I just
> uploaded to the wiki, I have about 100MB of audio. Next month, I'm expecting
> to have video of the SFPUG meeting.
>
> Ultimately, I'd really like to have a podcast portion of the postgresql.org
> which organizes this and presents it in a way that people can easily find
> new stuff.  But we could wait for us to consistently generate content,
> first.
>
> --Josh

Re: Audio & Video?

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Well, for the immediate term just someplace I can upload large
> audio/video files where users can download them.  For example, for the
> SFPUG talk I just uploaded to the wiki, I have about 100MB of audio.

We chew 100MB+ on the ftp server (multiplied by some large number of
mirrors) every time we make a new set of source releases; not to mention
the binaries that soon follow.  100MB isn't "large" by current
standards.

It's probably fair to discuss what is a reasonable space budget for
audio/video stuff, and maybe to try to prevent it from being mirrored
if the sysadmins think that would be a good idea.  But this doesn't
strike me as being too large for the servers we've got.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Well, for the immediate term just someplace I can upload large
>> audio/video files where users can download them.  For example, for the
>> SFPUG talk I just uploaded to the wiki, I have about 100MB of audio.
>
> We chew 100MB+ on the ftp server (multiplied by some large number of
> mirrors) every time we make a new set of source releases; not to mention
> the binaries that soon follow.  100MB isn't "large" by current
> standards.

indeed

> It's probably fair to discuss what is a reasonable space budget for
> audio/video stuff, and maybe to try to prevent it from being mirrored
> if the sysadmins think that would be a good idea.  But this doesn't
> strike me as being too large for the servers we've got.

we have more than enough resources to host stuff like this - the wiki
allows uploads of content of up to 100MB per object (it used to display
a warning for stuff that was larger than 150kb but I just disabled
that). If we have larger stuff or different needs we can always
distribute via ftp.postgresql.org and the mirror network behind it.

Stefan

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

>> It's probably fair to discuss what is a reasonable space budget for
>> audio/video stuff, and maybe to try to prevent it from being mirrored
>> if the sysadmins think that would be a good idea.  But this doesn't
>> strike me as being too large for the servers we've got.
>
> we have more than enough resources to host stuff like this - the wiki
> allows uploads of content of up to 100MB per object (it used to display
> a warning for stuff that was larger than 150kb but I just disabled
> that).

I think the Wiki is not a good place for storing such things.  It barely
knows that binary files are "images"

Re: Audio & Video?

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
I'd agree that this probably doesn't belong in the Wiki or the main www tree.  Perhaps a simple host: media.postgresql.org would suffice, with a plain html index template that Josh can edit as he adds items and the ability to serve the content.

If setting up a jail and such for this is a pain right now, I could setup a vhost on my shared hosting box for the time being and setup a generic template for you to edit, Josh.

Gavin

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

>> It's probably fair to discuss what is a reasonable space budget for
>> audio/video stuff, and maybe to try to prevent it from being mirrored
>> if the sysadmins think that would be a good idea.  But this doesn't
>> strike me as being too large for the servers we've got.
>
> we have more than enough resources to host stuff like this - the wiki
> allows uploads of content of up to 100MB per object (it used to display
> a warning for stuff that was larger than 150kb but I just disabled
> that).

I think the Wiki is not a good place for storing such things.  It barely
knows that binary files are "images"

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Guido Barosio
Date:
IMHO if this comes from *PUG, then that *PUG should take the call and
sort this out with their resources.

After that, a ping to -advocacy and maybe -www in order to let the
community know that things are in place.

/* capacity planning */
Otherwise:
- we are facing a big amount of media heading *.postgresql.org sooner or later.
- postgresql.org resources will be assigned to keep this.  /*
sysadmins running against nagios complaining about space, for instance
*/

I do support and appreciate Josh's work, in fact the idea and effort
rock. But I am a bit concerned on how to handle future situations. If
this grows we are gonna face a big problem. One single meeting created
100mb. How many meetings / events / talks are we planning to store? I
do have the BsAs December talks still in HD, ~ 1gb of media.

Another point of view could be the fact that "spreading the bytes"
helps the project advocacy because of the single fact that more sites
contain postgresql content.

2 cents and nothing more than that, please feel free to tag this as a
stupid mail.

gb.-

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Gavin M. Roy <gmr@ehpg.net> wrote:
> I'd agree that this probably doesn't belong in the Wiki or the main www
> tree.  Perhaps a simple host: media.postgresql.org would suffice, with a
> plain html index template that Josh can edit as he adds items and the
> ability to serve the content.
> If setting up a jail and such for this is a pain right now, I could setup a
> vhost on my shared hosting box for the time being and setup a generic
> template for you to edit, Josh.
> Gavin
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>> > we have more than enough resources to host stuff like this - the wiki
>> > allows uploads of content of up to 100MB per object (it used to display
>> > a warning for stuff that was larger than 150kb but I just disabled
>> > that).
>>
>> I think the Wiki is not a good place for storing such things.  It barely
>> knows that binary files are "images"
>>
>> --

Re: Audio & Video?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>>
>>> What makes you say that?
>>
>> If they're that large, what makes you think anyone will want to download
>> them?
>
> Podcasts are a whole *industry* now.  If you hadn't noticed.

Has anyone talked to Youtube about this?  They now have a BSD channel for
podcasts, maybe they would be willing to setup a PostgreSQL channel?

----

Re: Audio & Video?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Well, for the immediate term just someplace I can upload large
>> audio/video files where users can download them.  For example, for the
>> SFPUG talk I just uploaded to the wiki, I have about 100MB of audio.
>
> We chew 100MB+ on the ftp server (multiplied by some large number of
> mirrors) every time we make a new set of source releases; not to mention
> the binaries that soon follow.  100MB isn't "large" by current
> standards.
>
> It's probably fair to discuss what is a reasonable space budget for
> audio/video stuff, and maybe to try to prevent it from being mirrored
> if the sysadmins think that would be a good idea.  But this doesn't
> strike me as being too large for the servers we've got.

could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no one
site would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...

----

Re: Audio & Video?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 21:40 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> >> If they're that large, what makes you think anyone will want to download
> >> them?
> >
> > Podcasts are a whole *industry* now.  If you hadn't noticed.
>
> Has anyone talked to Youtube about this?  They now have a BSD channel for
> podcasts, maybe they would be willing to setup a PostgreSQL channel?

Timelimits are the problem. That is why I suggested Vimeo.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no one site
> would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...

What worries me about that is when files start to get much bigger than
100MB, or a bunch are added at once (think 2 day conference with a
dozen or more hour long talks), when they get uploaded to the ftp
site, within a 24 hour window we'll get around 100 mirrors all trying
to rsync them at once - probably far more bandwidth than people
actually viewing the stuff!

We have plenty of spare hardware atm (we have 4 new boxes coming
online at the moment with very good connectivity) - we can easily
setup a dedicated server for this, or I kinda like Marc's YouTube
idea.

--
Dave Page

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:24:47AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
>
> > could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no one site
> > would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...
>
> What worries me about that is when files start to get much bigger than
> 100MB, or a bunch are added at once (think 2 day conference with a
> dozen or more hour long talks), when they get uploaded to the ftp
> site, within a 24 hour window we'll get around 100 mirrors all trying
> to rsync them at once - probably far more bandwidth than people
> actually viewing the stuff!
>
> We have plenty of spare hardware atm (we have 4 new boxes coming
> online at the moment with very good connectivity) - we can easily
> setup a dedicated server for this, or I kinda like Marc's YouTube
> idea.

We have an offer from RackSpace for some cloud storage. Initially that was
for internal access only, but we could always talk to them and see if they
can provide it with external access as well.

//Magnus

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:24:47AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
>>
>> > could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no one site
>> > would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...
>>
>> What worries me about that is when files start to get much bigger than
>> 100MB, or a bunch are added at once (think 2 day conference with a
>> dozen or more hour long talks), when they get uploaded to the ftp
>> site, within a 24 hour window we'll get around 100 mirrors all trying
>> to rsync them at once - probably far more bandwidth than people
>> actually viewing the stuff!
>>
>> We have plenty of spare hardware atm (we have 4 new boxes coming
>> online at the moment with very good connectivity) - we can easily
>> setup a dedicated server for this, or I kinda like Marc's YouTube
>> idea.
>
> We have an offer from RackSpace for some cloud storage. Initially that was
> for internal access only, but we could always talk to them and see if they
> can provide it with external access as well.

We can keep that for the backups. We've got plenty of real hardware we
can use for podcasts if need be.

--
Dave Page

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Feb 12, 2009, at 1:24 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org>
> wrote:
>
>> could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no
>> one site
>> would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...
>
> What worries me about that is when files start to get much bigger than
> 100MB, or a bunch are added at once (think 2 day conference with a
> dozen or more hour long talks), when they get uploaded to the ftp
> site, within a 24 hour window we'll get around 100 mirrors all trying
> to rsync them at once - probably far more bandwidth than people
> actually viewing the stuff!
>
> We have plenty of spare hardware atm (we have 4 new boxes coming
> online at the moment with very good connectivity) - we can easily
> setup a dedicated server for this, or I kinda like Marc's YouTube
> idea.

+1 for YouTube and other social networking services. There is also a
postgres-backed company that has hosted high quality video for us in
the past. I'll dig up that contact if what you want is long term
storage only.

But if the point is marketing and reaching out beyond out normal
borders, YouTube, flickr, and other socially-oriented services are
going to be the most effective.

-Selena

Re: Audio & Video?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 09:24 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
>
> > could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no one site
> > would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...
>
> What worries me about that is when files start to get much bigger than
> 100MB,

Consider if I started uploading postgresql conference videos.

This really needs to be using an actual service like Vimeo or something.

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 09:24 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
> >
> > > could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no one site
> > > would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...
> >
> > What worries me about that is when files start to get much bigger than
> > 100MB,
>
> Consider if I started uploading postgresql conference videos.
>
> This really needs to be using an actual service like Vimeo or something.

Agreed.  This is more than just file storage --- think player streaming,
converting to a common video format, etc.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 09:24 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
>>
>>> could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no one site
>>> would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...
>> What worries me about that is when files start to get much bigger than
>> 100MB,
>
> Consider if I started uploading postgresql conference videos.
>
> This really needs to be using an actual service like Vimeo or something.

OK, that makes sense.  Is there a similar service for audio-only
podcasts, though?

Also, I think what we need is somewhere on the website where we *index*
all of this stuff.  In fact ... if we just had a way to post audio
files, and re-distribute RSS for video to planet.postgresql.org, that
would be very helpful.

Same thing with slides, actually.

--Josh

Re: Audio & Video?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 13:32 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > This really needs to be using an actual service like Vimeo or something.
>
> OK, that makes sense.  Is there a similar service for audio-only
> podcasts, though?

A quick google gives me:

http://switchpod.com/
http://www.podbean.com/
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/08/how-to-choose-podcast-host-compare.html

> Also, I think what we need is somewhere on the website where we *index*
> all of this stuff.  In fact ... if we just had a way to post audio
> files, and re-distribute RSS for video to planet.postgresql.org, that
> would be very helpful.

Yes that would be cool.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> +1 for YouTube and other social networking services. There is also a
> postgres-backed company that has hosted high quality video for us in the
> past. I'll dig up that contact if what you want is long term storage only.

YouTube or similar is nice because it creates exposure.  But I'd also
like to see a system that gives me access to the plan files for
downloading or playing in my own playing system.  As an example:
http://ftp.ccc.de/congress/25c3/ -- plain and simple.

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>>
>> +1 for YouTube and other social networking services. There is also a
>>  postgres-backed company that has hosted high quality video for us in the
>> past. I'll dig up that contact if what you want is long term storage only.
>
> YouTube or similar is nice because it creates exposure.

Agreed.

> But I'd also like
> to see a system that gives me access to the plan files for downloading or
> playing in my own playing system.  As an example:
> http://ftp.ccc.de/congress/25c3/ -- plain and simple.

We can do that as well, and have it integrate nicely into the website
- just not replicate it onto the mirrors network.

--
Dave Page

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW team,

So, we have our first video, as threatened.  YouTube and Vimeo won't
take it, it's too long.  So where do we put it?

--Josh

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> So, we have our first video, as threatened.  YouTube and Vimeo won't take
> it, it's too long.  So where do we put it?

How big is it?

--
Dave Page

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Josh Berkus
Dave Page wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> WWW team,
>>
>> So, we have our first video, as threatened.  YouTube and Vimeo won't take
>> it, it's too long.  So where do we put it?
>
> How big is it?

400MB.  It's about an hour.

--Josh

Re: Audio & Video?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> WWW team,
>>>
>>> So, we have our first video, as threatened.  YouTube and Vimeo won't take
>>> it, it's too long.  So where do we put it?
>>
>> How big is it?
>
> 400MB.  It's about an hour.

OK. I can setup a media.postgresql.org server with an apache server
giving access to the raw files - will that do for now? We can think
about a fancy web interface later, and just link to the files from
elsewhere for now (I have a few from PG UK as well).

--
Dave Page

Re: Audio & Video?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 11:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> So, we have our first video, as threatened.  YouTube and Vimeo won't
> take it, it's too long.  So where do we put it?

Vimeo will take it if you have a pro account, which I do. I will upload
it there if you like.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--