Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
WWW,

I've added 3 new PUGs, but they don't appear on pugs.postgresql.org landing
page, possibly because the WWW user doesn't have permissions on
pugs.postgresql.org/index.html.

Can someone either fix the permissions, or add NYPUG, LAPUG and SEAPUG?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On Thursday 17 January 2008 10:14, Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW,
>
> I've added 3 new PUGs, but they don't appear on pugs.postgresql.org
> landing page, possibly because the WWW user doesn't have permissions on
> pugs.postgresql.org/index.html.
>
> Can someone either fix the permissions, or add NYPUG, LAPUG and SEAPUG?

Actually, it's worse than I thought.  I can't even add new PUG pages:

Writing to '/usr/local/www/pugs.postgresql.org/www/index.html.new' failed:
Opening local file '/usr/local/www/pugs.postgresql.org/www/index.html.new'
failed: Permission denied
--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Jan 17, 2008 11:28 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> How about I just set up a new system for this? We have the resources
> and we need to install different software anyway. I could have it done
> by Monday.

That's fine with me. I'm sorry I didn't get it done earlier.

The most important thing is getting the data migrated over.

Drupal, right?

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
JD,

> How about I just set up a new system for this? We have the resources
> and we need to install different software anyway. I could have it done
> by Monday.

What did you have in mind?  Selena favors Drupal.

--

Date:

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
User Scrappy

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008 11:28 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> How about I just set up a new system for this? We have the resources
>> and we need to install different software anyway. I could have it done
>> by Monday.
>
> That's fine with me. I'm sorry I didn't get it done earlier.
>
> The most important thing is getting the data migrated over.
>
> Drupal, right?

Drupal was already setup on taht VPS, per your request ... is there a
reason why we need to setup / move it?

Date:
On Jan 17, 2008 11:37 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:30:43 -0800
> "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 17, 2008 11:28 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > How about I just set up a new system for this? We have the resources
> > > and we need to install different software anyway. I could have it
> > > done by Monday.
> >
> > That's fine with me. I'm sorry I didn't get it done earlier.
> >
> > The most important thing is getting the data migrated over.
>
> Right.
>

> > Drupal, right?
>
> Actually I was thinking about the brand new truly open source moveable
> type (but I am not tied to any of them).

Sure, I don't really care :)

Plus you're doing the work. Thank you!

--

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:

> JD,
>
>> How about I just set up a new system for this? We have the resources
>> and we need to install different software anyway. I could have it done
>> by Monday.
>
> What did you have in mind?  Selena favors Drupal.

Drupal was installed several months back for Selena on pugs.postgresql.org
... is there a reason why its not being used?

Date:
On Jan 17, 2008 11:49 AM, User Scrappy <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> Drupal was already setup on taht VPS, per your request ... is there a
> reason why we need to setup / move it?

Oh? I missed that.  Sorry --- if its just the data that needs to be
moved over and CSS, then we should just use what is there.

I've got a presentation to finish this afternoon, but I'll take a look
this evening and get back to Josh with whatever help I need.

I'll give a status update in the morning.

-selena
--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group
http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
JD, Selena,

> > The most important thing is getting the data migrated over.

Well, it's actually not that critical for SFPUG, if we can stick the old
site somewhere to mine for content.

> Actually I was thinking about the brand new truly open source moveable
> type (but I am not tied to any of them).

A blog isn't actually the best format for UG pages.  We used MT 2.6 because
there weren't a lot of choices back then.

We really need something with more of a "calendar" format, and maybe a
wiki.

--

Date:

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Date:

Date:

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
*If* it needs moving, let's bung it on one of the new boxes in France,
not pile more on Tribble.

/D

Sent from my mobile device

Date:

Date:

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> *If* it needs moving, let's bung it on one of the new boxes in France,
> >> not pile more on Tribble.
> >
> > Sure I was just pointing out that I wasn't pushing for CMD to host it.
> > What I do want though... is for the sysadmins team to have access to
> > it. We need to be able to assist Selena.
>
> Sysadmin team has (or should have) full root access to that VPS ... if they
> don't, I don't konw *why* they don't ...

What the sysadmin team needs is documentation of what's on it, where it is, and how it's supposed to work.

/Magnus

Date:
On 18/01/2008, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> > Sysadmin team has (or should have) full root access to that VPS ... if they
> > don't, I don't konw *why* they don't ...
> >

> What the sysadmin team needs is documentation of what's on it, where it is, and how it's supposed to work.

There's no backups of pugs in the auto-backup systems, and no
documentation of it on PMT at all. One could argue that it therefore
doesn't exist :-p

/D

PMT && Documentation (Was: Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken)

From
User Scrappy
Date:
Will work on this this weekend ... I'm terrible at the 'how its supposed
to work' part, but will stuff in whatever I can think of, and will answer
any questions anyone has to 'fill in the blanks' ... that applies to those
other hosts that may be missing information ...

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Sure I was just pointing out that I wasn't pushing for CMD to host it.
>>> What I do want though... is for the sysadmins team to have access to
>>> it. We need to be able to assist Selena.
>>
>> Sysadmin team has (or should have) full root access to that VPS ... if they
>> don't, I don't konw *why* they don't ...
>>

> What the sysadmin team needs is documentation of what's on it, where it is, and how it's supposed to work.
>
> /Magnus

Re: PMT && Documentation (Was: Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken)

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On 18/01/2008, User Scrappy <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> Will work on this this weekend ... I'm terrible at the 'how its supposed
> to work' part, but will stuff in whatever I can think of, and will answer
> any questions anyone has to 'fill in the blanks' ... that applies to those
> other hosts that may be missing information ...

Cool, thanks.

/D

Date:
On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:22:42AM -0400, User Scrappy wrote:

> Will work on this this weekend ... I'm terrible at the 'how its supposed
> to work' part, but will stuff in whatever I can think of, and will answer
> any questions anyone has to 'fill in the blanks' ... that applies to those
> other hosts that may be missing information ...

Great. Just ping me on IM of you need any info from me on the other hosts
(no point in doing it for pugs, 'cuz I have no clue)

//Magnus

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:20:13 +0000
"Dave Page" <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:

> *If* it needs moving, let's bung it on one of the new boxes in France,
> not pile more on Tribble.
>
> /D

I think a move to the new boxes in France is a good idea. Dave can you
help facilitate this?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:

Re: Pugs.postgresql.org homepage broken

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:29:50 -0400
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> pugs.postgresql.org will *not* be moving to another box, it will be
> staying exactly where it is ... if you have problems with working on
> the existing VPS, that is no problem, I will do so as I've said
> before ...

*sigh* Marc. Every time this comes up, I point out that it is not your
decision, it is the communities/sysadmin teams decision. Every time you
ignore it. If the team decides that it should stay with you, I will of
course respect that. Because it is the teams decision.

The rest I will leave to private discussion unless you would like me
to make it public.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On 20/01/2008, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:20:13 +0000
> "Dave Page" <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> > *If* it needs moving, let's bung it on one of the new boxes in France,
> > not pile more on Tribble.
> >
> > /D
> >

> I think a move to the new boxes in France is a good idea. Dave can you
> help facilitate this?

*if* it were decided that we needed to do that, then Stefan or Marc
are the people to help. My FreeBSD-Jail-fu is still *waaaaay* behind
my Linux-vserver-fu.

/D