Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

In addition to the machine Gavin Roy is loaning, I'm putting together an
online performance test lab for the commmunity using donated equipment.
Fairly soon, however, I have to decide where it will be hosted.  Since the
plurality of the equipment is coming from California, I'd prefer something on
the West Coast, but the critical issue is somewhere where we have ready
access to sysadmin help to connect things, replace drives etc.

I was thinking of OSL in Corvalis Oregon, for a few reasons:
-- Easy shipping
-- Full-time sysadmin staff
-- One machine is already there
-- Close to Mark Wong
-- Well-known for OSS hosting
However, OSL has the drawback that we would need to raise money to cover power
costs for the new machines, probably a couple $thousand.

Other locations which we have here in the US include:
-- ArcServe in San Jose (Sean Chittenden)
-- EHPG in Fremont (Gavin Roy)
-- Someone in Seattle?

Note that I'm talking about between 1/2 and a full rack of equipment here ...
not just a couple servers.  I'd prefer not to have the servers scattered
hither and yon, either, if I can avoid it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 18:19 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> In addition to the machine Gavin Roy is loaning, I'm putting together an
> online performance test lab for the commmunity using donated equipment.
> Fairly soon, however, I have to decide where it will be hosted.

Why is it important that all the machines be hosted at one site?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> > In addition to the machine Gavin Roy is loaning, I'm putting together an
> > online performance test lab for the commmunity using donated equipment.
> > Fairly soon, however, I have to decide where it will be hosted.
>
> Why is it important that all the machines be hosted at one site?

Administration and the ability to to do multi-machine configurations.  Also
the ability to swap storage to newer machines.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In addition to the machine Gavin Roy is loaning, I'm putting together an
> online performance test lab for the commmunity using donated equipment.
> Fairly soon, however, I have to decide where it will be hosted.  Since the
> plurality of the equipment is coming from California, I'd prefer something on
> the West Coast, but the critical issue is somewhere where we have ready
> access to sysadmin help to connect things, replace drives etc.
>
> I was thinking of OSL in Corvalis Oregon, for a few reasons:
> -- Easy shipping
> -- Full-time sysadmin staff
> -- One machine is already there
> -- Close to Mark Wong
> -- Well-known for OSS hosting
> However, OSL has the drawback that we would need to raise money to cover power
> costs for the new machines, probably a couple $thousand.

per year I assume ?

Stefan

Date:
Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 18:43 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> Peter,
>
> > > In addition to the machine Gavin Roy is loaning, I'm putting together
> > > an online performance test lab for the commmunity using donated
> > > equipment. Fairly soon, however, I have to decide where it will be
> > > hosted.
> >
> > Why is it important that all the machines be hosted at one site?
>
> Administration

Why does administration require that all the machines be hosted at one site?
Most administration is by remote login, and for the physical maintenance you
could have someone on site do it.

> and the ability to to do multi-machine configurations.

Well, that is interesting, but not a requirement.  If the machines are not at
the same site, just don't use them for multi-machine configurations; just
pick different ones.  (Hey, maybe someone wants to test WAN configurations.)

> Also the ability to swap storage to newer machines.

I don't know what you mean by this.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> Why does administration require that all the machines be hosted at one
> site? Most administration is by remote login, and for the physical
> maintenance you could have someone on site do it.

Right, and that's made more complex if the main users aren't clear on where
the machine is.

> > and the ability to to do multi-machine configurations.
>
> Well, that is interesting, but not a requirement.  If the machines are not
> at the same site, just don't use them for multi-machine configurations;
> just pick different ones.  (Hey, maybe someone wants to test WAN
> configurations.)

Actually, it *is* a requirement.  Doing a real DBT5 or EAStress test run
requires at least 2 machines, plus storage, and 3-4 machines is more
interesting.  Having the machines scattered hither and yon will both
complicate the maintenance of the test lab and limit its usefulness.

I also think you're arguing for the sake of arguing; you don't do performance
testing and AFAIK are not planning to host any of the machines.  So why are
you picking nits?

--

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Right, and that's made more complex if the main users aren't clear on
> where the machine is.

You have certainly heard of the world wide web, where you can easily
publish fabulous lists of information in easily accessible form.

> Actually, it *is* a requirement.  Doing a real DBT5 or EAStress test
> run requires at least 2 machines, plus storage, and 3-4 machines is
> more interesting.  Having the machines scattered hither and yon will
> both complicate the maintenance of the test lab and limit its
> usefulness.

A requirement to have 4 machines at one site to perform a particular
test is not a logical reason to reject the possibility of having, say,
20 machines at 5 sites to perform all kinds of tests, when the
alternative is to have no machines at no sites.

If you can find someone to host everything, great, but you have in fact
already rejected two machines because they are not at the right
location, when I can see great use for those machines no matter where
they are.

> I also think you're arguing for the sake of arguing; you don't do
> performance testing and AFAIK are not planning to host any of the
> machines.

I think you are wrong.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> A requirement to have 4 machines at one site to perform a particular
> test is not a logical reason to reject the possibility of having, say,
> 20 machines at 5 sites to perform all kinds of tests, when the
> alternative is to have no machines at no sites.

Ah, I see the misunderstanding.  Would that we were talking about 20
machines.  Right now I'm twisting arms to get 5 servers and 4 JBODs, which
we need in the same location to make use of them.  So we need these
initial machines in one place, as much as possible, to make use of them.

> If you can find someone to host everything, great, but you have in fact
> already rejected two machines because they are not at the right
> location, when I can see great use for those machines no matter where
> they are.

The peformance testing we can do without storage (drives) is very limited.
Currently, the only storage I have is located in the US.  In my
experience, storage is the hardest thing to get donated so I don't really
expect to find some in Europe soon.

Gavin's machine is the exception becuase it comes with a 28-disk array.
Still, we could do even more with it if we had another machine or two in
that location.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
That could possibly be arranged, let me make some calls... 1/2 cab?

On 7/31/07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> > A requirement to have 4 machines at one site to perform a particular
> > test is not a logical reason to reject the possibility of having, say,
> > 20 machines at 5 sites to perform all kinds of tests, when the
> > alternative is to have no machines at no sites.
>
> Ah, I see the misunderstanding.  Would that we were talking about 20
> machines.  Right now I'm twisting arms to get 5 servers and 4 JBODs, which
> we need in the same location to make use of them.  So we need these
> initial machines in one place, as much as possible, to make use of them.
>
> > If you can find someone to host everything, great, but you have in fact
> > already rejected two machines because they are not at the right
> > location, when I can see great use for those machines no matter where
> > they are.
>
> The peformance testing we can do without storage (drives) is very limited.
> Currently, the only storage I have is located in the US.  In my
> experience, storage is the hardest thing to get donated so I don't really
> expect to find some in Europe soon.
>
> Gavin's machine is the exception becuase it comes with a 28-disk array.
> Still, we could do even more with it if we had another machine or two in
> that location.
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab

From
"Marc G. Fournier"