Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab
Date
Re: Location of PostgreSQL Performance Test Lab  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-www
Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 18:43 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> Peter,
>
> > > In addition to the machine Gavin Roy is loaning, I'm putting together
> > > an online performance test lab for the commmunity using donated
> > > equipment. Fairly soon, however, I have to decide where it will be
> > > hosted.
> >
> > Why is it important that all the machines be hosted at one site?
>
> Administration

Why does administration require that all the machines be hosted at one site?
Most administration is by remote login, and for the physical maintenance you
could have someone on site do it.

> and the ability to to do multi-machine configurations.

Well, that is interesting, but not a requirement.  If the machines are not at
the same site, just don't use them for multi-machine configurations; just
pick different ones.  (Hey, maybe someone wants to test WAN configurations.)

> Also the ability to swap storage to newer machines.

I don't know what you mean by this.

--
Peter Eisentraut