font size

From
David Fetter
Date:
Folks,

The web site looks fantastic, but I can't read anything that's on it,
as the font size appears to be ~4point.  I'm using Firefox (Linux &
OSX) if that matters.  Help!

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: font size

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Jan 12, 2005, at 17:39, David Fetter wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 05:36:16PM +0900, Michael Glaesmann wrote:
>> Heya David,
>>
>> On Jan 12, 2005, at 14:23, David Fetter wrote:
>>
>>> The web site looks fantastic, but I can't read anything that's on it,
>>> as the font size appears to be ~4point.  I'm using Firefox (Linux &
>>> OSX) if that matters.  Help!
>>
>> Have you tried clicking Text Size: Large on the main page? (It's up on
>> the top to the far left of the Search field).
>
> That's nice.  Can it be made the default? :)

There *are* people who like the smaller size :) Once it's clicked, it
stays.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: font size

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Jan 12, 2005, at 17:45, David Fetter wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 05:41:37PM +0900, Michael Glaesmann wrote:
>>
>> There *are* people who like the smaller size :) Once it's clicked,
>> it stays.
>
> Hrm.  I don't suppose it would help me to mention the ADA, given that
> this is an international web site.

The American Disabilities Act (and similar legislation), afaik (and I
won't claim to be an expert) is satisfied (in part) if the site is
capable of being viewed at other point sizes. Nothing prevents browser
resizing, and having a size option is a bonus. I think it boils down to
individual  preference.

If you're refering to the American Dental Association, I'm not quite
sure what that has to do with it. :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: font size

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Jan 12, 2005, at 18:04, David Fetter wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 05:59:44PM +0900, Michael Glaesmann wrote:

>>> Hrm.  I don't suppose it would help me to mention the ADA, given
>>> that this is an international web site.
>>
>> The American Disabilities Act (and similar legislation), afaik (and
>> I won't claim to be an expert) is satisfied (in part) if the site is
>> capable of being viewed at other point sizes. Nothing prevents
>> browser resizing, and having a size option is a bonus. I think it
>> boils down to individual  preference.
>
> Oh, well. some of us old fogies can't even read "Larger" button when
> it's small.

That's a good point. Larger should be Larger, eh? I've also thought the
text at the top is quite light in color. (The gray overall could be a
little darker. There are quite a few shades of gray between the current
hue and black.)

It might not be a bad idea to have a couple more stylesheet options.
(I'm assuming the current smaller/larger text size is managed via a
stylesheet switcher.) Joshua Drake just posted an alternative style
sheet for the docs.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: font size

From
"Dave Page"

Well the best guide is probably: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/

I haven't double checked it, but I don't think the font size is actually
an issue anyway, as long as the user is not prevented from altering the
size using the options on their browser. From recollection, there's
probably not much (if anything) on the new site that would prevent it
getting at least an A rating (the minimum expected in Rightpondia),
particularly as I saw Omar added alt tags for all the layout related
graphics the other day.

/D

Re: font size

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> There *are* people who like the smaller size :) Once it's clicked, it
> stays.

Time for a survey on the front page:

I would like the text on this web site to be

( ) smaller
( ) the same
( ) larger

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: font size

From
"Dave Page"

Err, surveys? We don't get those any more except hidden away in the
community area. I got out-voted on that one iirc.

/D

Re: font size

From
"Dave Page"