Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
Date:
Hello, this is my first message to this list, so sorry if this is not the right place to discuss this or if some data is missing from this message.

I'll gladly send any data you request that would help us to understand this issue. I don't believe I'm allowed to share the actual database dump, but other than that I can provide much more details you might ask for.

I can't understand why PG 9.2 performs so differently from PG 9.1.

I tested these queries in my Debian unstable amd64 box after restoring the same database dump this morning in both PG 9.1 (Debian unstable repository) and PG9.2 (Debian experimental repository) with same settings:

https://gist.github.com/3f1f3aad3847155e1e35

Ignore all lines like the line below because it doesn't make any difference on my tests if I just remove them or any other column from the SELECT clause:

"  exists(select id from condition_document_excerpt where condition_id=c1686.id) as v1686_has_reference,"

The results below are pretty much the same if you assume "SELECT 1 FROM ...".

I have proper indices created for all tables and the query  is fast in both PG versions when I don't use many conditions in the WHERE clause.

fast.sql returns the same data as slow.sql but it returns much faster in my tests with PG 9.1.

So here are the completion times for each query on each PG version:

Query   | PG 9.1         | PG 9.2 |
-----------------------------------
fast.sql| 650 ms (0.65s) | 690s   |
slow.sql| 419s           | 111s   |

For the curious, the results would be very similar to slow.sql if I use inner joins with the conditions inside the WHERE moved to the "ON" clause of the inner join instead of the left outer join + global WHERE approach. But I don't have this option anyway because this query is generated dynamically and not all my queries are "ALL"-like queries.

Here are the relevant indices (id is SERIAL primary key in all tables):

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX transaction_condition_transaction_id_type_id_idx
  ON transaction_condition
  USING btree
  (transaction_id, type_id);
CREATE INDEX index_transaction_condition_on_transaction_id
  ON transaction_condition
  USING btree
  (transaction_id);
CREATE INDEX index_transaction_condition_on_type_id
  ON transaction_condition
  USING btree
  (type_id);

CREATE INDEX acquirer_target_names
  ON company_transaction
  USING btree
  (acquiror_company_name COLLATE pg_catalog."default", target_company_name COLLATE pg_catalog."default");
CREATE INDEX index_company_transaction_on_target_company_name
  ON company_transaction
  USING btree
  (target_company_name COLLATE pg_catalog."default");
CREATE INDEX index_company_transaction_on_date
  ON company_transaction
  USING btree
  (date);
CREATE INDEX index_company_transaction_on_edit_status
  ON company_transaction
  USING btree
  (edit_status COLLATE pg_catalog."default");

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX index_condition_boolean_value_on_condition_id
  ON condition_boolean_value
  USING btree
  (condition_id);
CREATE INDEX index_condition_boolean_value_on_value_and_condition_id
  ON condition_boolean_value
  USING btree
  (value COLLATE pg_catalog."default", condition_id);

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX index_condition_option_value_on_condition_id
  ON condition_option_value
  USING btree
  (condition_id);
CREATE INDEX index_condition_option_value_on_value_id_and_condition_id
  ON condition_option_value
  USING btree
  (value_id, condition_id);

CREATE INDEX index_condition_option_label_on_type_id_and_position
  ON condition_option_label
  USING btree
  (type_id, "position");
CREATE INDEX index_condition_option_label_on_type_id_and_value
  ON condition_option_label
  USING btree
  (type_id, value COLLATE pg_catalog."default");

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX index_condition_string_value_on_condition_id
  ON condition_string_value
  USING btree
  (condition_id);
CREATE INDEX index_condition_string_value_on_value_and_condition_id
  ON condition_string_value
  USING btree
  (value COLLATE pg_catalog."default", condition_id);

Please let me know of any suggestions on how to try to get similar results in PG 9.2 as well as to understand why fast.sql performs so much better than slow.sql on PG 9.1.

Best,
Rodrigo.

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
<rr.rosas@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>   ON condition_option_label
>   USING btree
>   (type_id, "position");
> CREATE INDEX index_condition_option_label_on_type_id_and_value
>   ON condition_option_label
>   USING btree
>   (type_id, value COLLATE pg_catalog."default");
>

> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX index_condition_string_value_on_condition_id
>   ON condition_string_value
>   USING btree
>   (condition_id);
> CREATE INDEX index_condition_string_value_on_value_and_condition_id
>   ON condition_string_value
>   USING btree
>   (value COLLATE pg_catalog."default", condition_id);
>

> Please let me know of any suggestions on how to try to get similar results
> in PG 9.2 as well as to understand why fast.sql performs so much better than

need explain analyze for 9.1 vs 9.2.  use this site:
http://explain.depesz.com/ to post info.

looking at your query -- it's a fair possibility that the root cause
of your issue is your database schema and organization.  It's hard to
tell for sure, but it looks like you might have dived head first into
the EAV anti-pattern -- deconstructing your data to such a degree that
accurate statistics and query plans are difficult or impossible.  I
mean this in the most constructive way possible naturally.  If that is
indeed the case a good plan is going to be sheer luck as the database
is essentially guessing.

Problem could also be no statistics (run ANALYZE to test) or some
other configuration problem (like index locale), or a bona fide
regression.

merlin

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

Date:
> Problem could also be no statistics (run ANALYZE to test) or some
> other configuration problem (like index locale), or a bona fide
> regression.

I'm wondering about join_collapse_limit in particular --- if that wasn't
cranked up in the 9.1 installation, it would be pure luck if you got a
good query plan for an example like this.  Maybe that and/or other
parameter settings didn't get transposed to the 9.2 installation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
"ktm@rice.edu"
Date:
Hi Rodrigo,

It looks like a lot of joins and 9.2 does some optimizations that
internally add additional joins. Did you try raising the
join_collapse_limit and maybe the from_collapse_limit from the
default values of 8?

Regards,
Ken

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 03:11:58PM -0200, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas wrote:
> [...]
> CREATE INDEX index_condition_option_label_on_type_id_and_value
>   ON condition_option_label
>   USING btree
>   (type_id, value COLLATE pg_catalog."default");
>

> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX index_condition_string_value_on_condition_id
>   ON condition_string_value
>   USING btree
>   (condition_id);
> CREATE INDEX index_condition_string_value_on_value_and_condition_id
>   ON condition_string_value
>   USING btree
>   (value COLLATE pg_catalog."default", condition_id);
>

> Please let me know of any suggestions on how to try to get similar
> results in PG 9.2 as well as to understand why fast.sql performs so
> much better than slow.sql on PG 9.1.
>
> Best,
> Rodrigo.

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

Date:
Hi Merlin,

[...]

CREATE INDEX index_company_transaction_on_target_company_name ON company_transaction USING btree (target_company_name COLLATE pg_catalog."default");
[...]

CREATE INDEX index_condition_string_value_on_value_and_condition_id ON condition_string_value USING btree (value COLLATE pg_catalog."default", condition_id);

http://explain.depesz.com/s/ToX (fast on 9.1)
http://explain.depesz.com/s/65t (fast on 9.2)
http://explain.depesz.com/s/gZm (slow on 9.1)
http://explain.depesz.com/s/END (slow on 9.2 - funny that the generated URL was END while this was my last explain :D )

looking at your query -- it's a fair possibility that the root cause
of your issue is your database schema and organization.  It's hard to
tell for sure, but it looks like you might have dived head first into
the EAV anti-pattern -- deconstructing your data to such a degree that
accurate statistics and query plans are difficult or impossible.  I
mean this in the most constructive way possible naturally.  If that is
indeed the case a good plan is going to be sheer luck as the database
is essentially guessing.

Let me explain how the application works, how the database was designed and hopefully you'll be able to guide me in the correct way to design the database for this use case.

Our application will present a big contract to some attorneys. There is currently a dynamic template with around 800 fields to be extracted from each contract in our system. These fields can be of different types (boolean, string, number, currency, percents, fixed options, dates, time-spans and so on). There is a fields tree that is maintained by the application editors. The application will allow the attorneys to read the contracts and highlight parts of the contract where they extracted each field from and associate each field with its value interpreted by the attorney and store the reference to what paragraphs in the contract demonstrate where the value came from.

Then there is an interface that will allow clients to search for transactions based on its associated contracts and those ~800 fields. For the particular query above, 14 of the 800 fields have been searched by this particular user (most of them were boolean ones plus a few options and a string field). Usually the queries perform much better when less than 10 fields are used in the criteria. But our client wants us to handle up to 20 fields in a single query or they won't close the deal and this is a really important client to us.

So, for the time being my only plan is to rollback to PG 9.1 and replace my query builder that currently generate queries like slow.sql and change it to generate the queries like fast.sql but I'm pretty sure this approach should be avoided. I just don't know any other alternative for the time being.

What database design would you recommend me for this use case?

Or, how would you recommend me to perform the queries? Keep in mind that a user could create a filter like "(f10.value = 'N' OR f11.value = 'N') AND f13.value=50".

Problem could also be no statistics (run ANALYZE to test) or some
other configuration problem (like index locale), or a bona fide
regression.

I know barely anything about performance tuning in PostgreSQL (I tried many tutorials but I have a hard time trying to understand EXPLAIN queries for queries like above). Would you mind in explaining me how to improve statistics or what is this index locale thing you talked about? Also, I have never heard about bona fide regression before. I'm looking for it on Google right now.

Thank you very much for your response!

Cheers,
Rodrigo.

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
Date:
I've raised both to 25 in PG 9.2 and reloaded the server. Didn't make
any difference. :(

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Cheers,
Rodrigo.

Date:
Em 06-11-2012 15:36, Tom Lane escreveu:
> Merlin Moncure<mmoncure@gmail.com>  writes:
>> Problem could also be no statistics (run ANALYZE to test) or some
>> other configuration problem (like index locale), or a bona fide
>> regression.
> I'm wondering about join_collapse_limit in particular --- if that wasn't
> cranked up in the 9.1 installation, it would be pure luck if you got a
> good query plan for an example like this.

I tried increasing it from 8 to 25 and it didn't make any difference.
>    Maybe that and/or other
> parameter settings didn't get transposed to the 9.2 installation.

diff /etc/postgresql/9.[12]/main/postgresql.conf

41c41
< data_directory = '/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main'               # use
data in another directory
---
 > data_directory = '/var/lib/postgresql/9.2/main'               # use
data in another directory
43c43
< hba_file = '/etc/postgresql/9.1/main/pg_hba.conf'     # host-based
authentication file
---
 > hba_file = '/etc/postgresql/9.2/main/pg_hba.conf'     # host-based
authentication file
45c45
< ident_file = '/etc/postgresql/9.1/main/pg_ident.conf' # ident
configuration file
---
 > ident_file = '/etc/postgresql/9.2/main/pg_ident.conf' # ident
configuration file
49c49
< external_pid_file = '/var/run/postgresql/9.1-main.pid'
# write an extra PID file
---
 > external_pid_file = '/var/run/postgresql/9.2-main.pid'
# write an extra PID file
63c63
< port = 5433                           # (change requires restart)
---
 > port = 5432                           # (change requires restart)
556a557,558
 > ssl_cert_file = '/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem'
 > ssl_key_file = '/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key'

Any other idea?

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
<rr.rosas@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://explain.depesz.com/s/ToX (fast on 9.1)
> http://explain.depesz.com/s/65t (fast on 9.2)
> http://explain.depesz.com/s/gZm (slow on 9.1)
> http://explain.depesz.com/s/END (slow on 9.2 - funny that the generated URL
> was END while this was my last explain :D )

Hm -- looking at your 'slow' 9.2 query, it is reporting that the query
took 3 seconds  (reported times are in milliseconds).  How are you
timing the data?  What happens when you run explain analyze
<your_query> from psql (as in, how long does it take)?

> Let me explain how the application works, how the database was designed and
> hopefully you'll be able to guide me in the correct way to design the
> database for this use case.
>
> Our application will present a big contract to some attorneys. There is
> currently a dynamic template with around 800 fields to be extracted from
> each contract in our system. These fields can be of different types
> (boolean, string, number, currency, percents, fixed options, dates,
> time-spans and so on). There is a fields tree that is maintained by the
> application editors. The application will allow the attorneys to read the
> contracts and highlight parts of the contract where they extracted each
> field from and associate each field with its value interpreted by the
> attorney and store the reference to what paragraphs in the contract
> demonstrate where the value came from.
>
> Then there is an interface that will allow clients to search for
> transactions based on its associated contracts and those ~800 fields. For
> the particular query above, 14 of the 800 fields have been searched by this
> particular user (most of them were boolean ones plus a few options and a
> string field). Usually the queries perform much better when less than 10
> fields are used in the criteria. But our client wants us to handle up to 20
> fields in a single query or they won't close the deal and this is a really
> important client to us.
>
> So, for the time being my only plan is to rollback to PG 9.1 and replace my
> query builder that currently generate queries like slow.sql and change it to
> generate the queries like fast.sql but I'm pretty sure this approach should
> be avoided. I just don't know any other alternative for the time being.
>
> What database design would you recommend me for this use case?

I would strongly consider investigation of hstore type along with
gist/gin index.
select * from company_transaction where contract_attributes @>
'State=>Delaware, Paid=Y';
etc

Barring that, I would then consider complete elimination of integer
proxies for your variables.  They make your query virtually impossible
to read/write, and they don't help.

merlin

Date:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
was END while this was my last explain :D )
Hm -- looking at your 'slow' 9.2 query, it is reporting that the query
took 3 seconds  (reported times are in milliseconds).  How are you
timing the data?  What happens when you run explain analyze
<your_query> from psql (as in, how long does it take)?

The time I reported in the tables of my first message were the time reported by pgAdmin3 (compiled from source).

But I get similar time when I run like this:

time psql -p 5432 -f slow.sql db_name > slow-9.2-again.explain

real    1m56.353s
user    0m0.068s
sys     0m0.020s

slow-9.2-again.explain: http://explain.depesz.com/s/zF1

[...]

I'm not very familiar with hstore yet but this was one of the reasons I wanted to migrate to PG 9.2 but I won't be able to migrate the application quickly to use hstore.

Also, I'm not sure if hstore allows us to be as flexible as we currently are (c1 and (c2 or c3 and not (c4 and c5))). c == condition

Barring that, I would then consider complete elimination of integer
proxies for your variables.  They make your query virtually impossible
to read/write, and they don't help.

I'm not sure if I understood what you're talking about. The template is dynamic and contains lots of information for each field, like type (number, percent, string, date, etc), parent_id (auto-referencing), aggregator_id (also auto-referencing) and several other columns. But the values associate the field id (type_id) and the transaction id in a unique way (see unique index in my first message of the thread). Then I need different tables to store the actual value because we're using SQL instead of MongoDB or something else. The table that stores the value depend on the field type.

Maybe it would help me to understand if you could provide some example for the design you're proposing.

Thank you very much,

Date:
Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr.rosas@gmail.com> writes:
> Em 06-11-2012 16:42, Merlin Moncure escreveu:
>> Hm -- looking at your 'slow' 9.2 query, it is reporting that the query
>> took 3 seconds  (reported times are in milliseconds).  How are you
>> timing the data?  What happens when you run explain analyze
>> <your_query>  from psql (as in, how long does it take)?

> The time I reported in the tables of my first message were the time
> reported by pgAdmin3 (compiled from source).

> But I get similar time when I run like this:

> time psql -p 5432 -f slow.sql db_name > slow-9.2-again.explain

> real    1m56.353s
> user    0m0.068s
> sys     0m0.020s

> slow-9.2-again.explain: http://explain.depesz.com/s/zF1

But that again shows only five seconds runtime.  If you repeat the query
several dozen times in a row, run the same way each time, do you get
consistent timings?

Can you put together a self-contained test case to duplicate these
results?  I'm prepared to believe there's some sort of planner
regression involved here, but we'll never find it without a test case.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
Em 06-11-2012 17:24, Tom Lane escreveu:
> Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas<rr.rosas@gmail.com>  writes:
>> Em 06-11-2012 16:42, Merlin Moncure escreveu:
>>> Hm -- looking at your 'slow' 9.2 query, it is reporting that the query
>>> took 3 seconds  (reported times are in milliseconds).  How are you
>>> timing the data?  What happens when you run explain analyze
>>> <your_query>   from psql (as in, how long does it take)?
>> The time I reported in the tables of my first message were the time
>> reported by pgAdmin3 (compiled from source).
>> But I get similar time when I run like this:
>> time psql -p 5432 -f slow.sql db_name>  slow-9.2-again.explain
>> real    1m56.353s
>> user    0m0.068s
>> sys     0m0.020s
>> slow-9.2-again.explain: http://explain.depesz.com/s/zF1
> But that again shows only five seconds runtime.  If you repeat the query
> several dozen times in a row, run the same way each time, do you get
> consistent timings?

Yes, the timings are consistent here.

> Can you put together a self-contained test case to duplicate these
> results?  I'm prepared to believe there's some sort of planner
> regression involved here, but we'll never find it without a test case.

I'd love to, but I'm afraid I won't have time to do this any time soon.
Maybe on Sunday. I'll see if I can get a script to generate the database
on Sunday and hope for it to replicate the issue.

Would you mind if I coded it using Ruby? (can you run Ruby code in your
computer?) I mean, for filling with some sample data.

Right now I need to concentrate on getting a working solution for 9.1
and downgrade the database and work in several other requested fixes.
That is why I'm out of time for writing this test case right now... I'll
try to find some time on Sunday and will post here if I can replicate.

Thank you so much!

Date:
Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr.rosas@gmail.com> writes:
> Em 06-11-2012 17:24, Tom Lane escreveu:
>> Can you put together a self-contained test case to duplicate these
>> results?  I'm prepared to believe there's some sort of planner
>> regression involved here, but we'll never find it without a test case.

> I'd love to, but I'm afraid I won't have time to do this any time soon.
> Maybe on Sunday. I'll see if I can get a script to generate the database
> on Sunday and hope for it to replicate the issue.

> Would you mind if I coded it using Ruby? (can you run Ruby code in your
> computer?) I mean, for filling with some sample data.

No objection.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr.rosas@gmail.com> writes:
>> Em 06-11-2012 17:24, Tom Lane escreveu:
>>> Can you put together a self-contained test case to duplicate these
>>> results?  I'm prepared to believe there's some sort of planner
>>> regression involved here, but we'll never find it without a test case.
>
>> I'd love to, but I'm afraid I won't have time to do this any time soon.
>> Maybe on Sunday. I'll see if I can get a script to generate the database
>> on Sunday and hope for it to replicate the issue.
>
>> Would you mind if I coded it using Ruby? (can you run Ruby code in your
>> computer?) I mean, for filling with some sample data.
>
> No objection.

hm, wouldn't timing the time to generate a raw EXPLAIN (that is,
without ANALYZE) give a rough estimate of planning time?   better to
rule it out before OP goes to the trouble...

merlin

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

Date:
> hm, wouldn't timing the time to generate a raw EXPLAIN (that is,
> without ANALYZE) give a rough estimate of planning time?   better to
> rule it out before OP goes to the trouble...

Well, we still wouldn't know *why* there was a problem ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
<rr.rosas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would strongly consider investigation of hstore type along with
> gist/gin index.
> select * from company_transaction where contract_attributes @>
> 'State=>Delaware, Paid=Y';
> etc
>

> I'm not very familiar with hstore yet but this was one of the reasons I
> wanted to migrate to PG 9.2 but I won't be able to migrate the application
> quickly to use hstore.

sure -- it's a major change.  note though that 9.1 hstore has
everything you need.

> Also, I'm not sure if hstore allows us to be as flexible as we currently are
> (c1 and (c2 or c3 and not (c4 and c5))). c == condition

your not gated from that functionality, although making complicated
expressions might require some thought and defeat some or all of GIST
optimization. that said, nothing is keeping you from doing:

where fields @> 'c1=>true, c2=>45' and not (fields @> 'c3=>false, c4=>xyz');

range searches would completely bypass GIST.  so that:
select * from foo where attributes -> 'somekey' between 'value1' and 'value2';

would work but would be brute force.  Still, with a little bit of
though, you should be able to optimize most common cases and when it
boils down to straight filter (a and b and c) you'll get an orders of
magnitude faster query.

>> Barring that, I would then consider complete elimination of integer
> proxies for your variables.  They make your query virtually impossible
> to read/write, and they don't help.
>
> I'm not sure if I understood what you're talking about. The template is
> dynamic and contains lots of information for each field, like type (number,
> percent, string, date, etc), parent_id (auto-referencing), aggregator_id
> (also auto-referencing) and several other columns. But the values associate
> the field id (type_id) and the transaction id in a unique way (see unique
> index in my first message of the thread). Then I need different tables to
> store the actual value because we're using SQL instead of MongoDB or
> something else. The table that stores the value depend on the field type.

Well, that's probably a mistake.  It's probably better to have a
single table with a text field (which is basically a variant) and a
'type' column storing the type of it if you need special handling down
the line.  One thing I'm sure of is that abstracting type behind
type_id is doing nothing but creating needless extra work.  You're
doing all kinds of acrobatics to fight the schema by hiding it under
various layers of abstraction.

merlin

Date:
Em 06-11-2012 19:11, Merlin Moncure escreveu:
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
>> Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas<rr.rosas@gmail.com>  writes:
>>> I'd love to, but I'm afraid I won't have time to do this any time soon.
>>> Maybe on Sunday. I'll see if I can get a script to generate the database
>>> on Sunday and hope for it to replicate the issue.
>>> Would you mind if I coded it using Ruby? (can you run Ruby code in your
>>> computer?) I mean, for filling with some sample data.
>> No objection.
> hm, wouldn't timing the time to generate a raw EXPLAIN (that is,
> without ANALYZE) give a rough estimate of planning time?   better to
> rule it out before OP goes to the trouble...

This was a great guess! Congrats, Merlin:

PG 9.1 (port 5433):

time psql -p 5433 -f slow-explain-only.sql db_name > /dev/null

real    0m0.284s
user    0m0.068s
sys     0m0.012s

time psql -p 5432 -f slow-explain-only.sql db_name > /dev/null

real    2m10.409s
user    0m0.056s
sys     0m0.016s

time psql -p 5433 -f fast-explain-only.sql db_name > /dev/null

real    0m0.264s
user    0m0.064s
sys     0m0.020s

time psql -p 5432 -f fast-explain-only.sql db_name > /dev/null

real    12m25.084s
user    0m0.052s
sys     0m0.020s

This is great news because it makes it easier for me to provide a
test-case since the results were the same in my test database (which is
mostly empty):

time psql -p 5432 -f fast-explain-only.sql db_test > /dev/null

real    6m0.414s
user    0m0.064s
sys     0m0.024s

I'm in Brazil which is 3 hours behind NY, where my client is. Later when
they start their journey I'll ask them if I can send our plain database
schema to make it even easier. Otherwise, if they prefer me to create
another database schema or to drop the unrelated tables first I'll do
that. Maybe they could be afraid of SQL injection attacks although I
believe we're currently free of errors of this nature in our applications.

Thank you so much for narrowing down the real problem with 9.2.

After this regression is fixed in 9.2 I'd like to know if it would be
possible to optimize the planner so that slow.sql could perform as well
as fast.sql. I believe the unique index on (transaction_id, type_id)
helps slow.sql to perform better but if the planner could be smart
enough to understand that slow.sql and fast.sql are equivalents I'd
prefer to use slow.sql instead of fast.sql as it reads better and it is
easier to maintain and write tests for and reduces our database log files.

Date:
Em 06-11-2012 19:48, Merlin Moncure escreveu:
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
> <rr.rosas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I would strongly consider investigation of hstore type along with
>> gist/gin index.
>> select * from company_transaction where contract_attributes @>
>> 'State=>Delaware, Paid=Y';
>> etc
>>

>> I'm not very familiar with hstore yet but this was one of the reasons I
>> wanted to migrate to PG 9.2 but I won't be able to migrate the application
>> quickly to use hstore.
> sure -- it's a major change.  note though that 9.1 hstore has
> everything you need.

Great to know.

>> Also, I'm not sure if hstore allows us to be as flexible as we currently are
>> (c1 and (c2 or c3 and not (c4 and c5))). c == condition
> your not gated from that functionality, although making complicated
> expressions might require some thought and defeat some or all of GIST
> optimization. that said, nothing is keeping you from doing:
>
> where fields @>  'c1=>true, c2=>45' and not (fields @>  'c3=>false, c4=>xyz');
>
> range searches would completely bypass GIST.  so that:
> select * from foo where attributes ->  'somekey' between 'value1' and 'value2';
>
> would work but would be brute force.  Still, with a little bit of
> though, you should be able to optimize most common cases and when it
> boils down to straight filter (a and b and c) you'll get an orders of
> magnitude faster query.

Then I'm not sure if hstore would speed up anything because except for
boolean fields most types won't use the equal (=) operator.

For instance, for numeric types (number, percent, currency) and dates it
is more usual to use something like (>), (<) or (between) than (=). For
strings we use ILIKE operator instead of (=).

>>> Barring that, I would then consider complete elimination of integer
>> proxies for your variables.  They make your query virtually impossible
>> to read/write, and they don't help.
>>
>> I'm not sure if I understood what you're talking about. The template is
>> dynamic and contains lots of information for each field, like type (number,
>> percent, string, date, etc), parent_id (auto-referencing), aggregator_id
>> (also auto-referencing) and several other columns. But the values associate
>> the field id (type_id) and the transaction id in a unique way (see unique
>> index in my first message of the thread). Then I need different tables to
>> store the actual value because we're using SQL instead of MongoDB or
>> something else. The table that stores the value depend on the field type.
> Well, that's probably a mistake.  It's probably better to have a
> single table with a text field (which is basically a variant) and a
> 'type' column storing the type of it if you need special handling down
> the line.

This would require tons of run-time conversions that would not be
indexable (dates, numbers, etc). I thought that approach would be much
slower. The user can also sort the results by any field and the sort
operation could also become too slow with all those run-time conversions
in place.

> One thing I'm sure of is that abstracting type behind
> type_id is doing nothing but creating needless extra work.

You said that in the other message and I asked for an example when I
told you why I need a separate table for storing all field data. I still
don't understand what you mean, that is why I asked for some example. I
guess the main problem here is terminology because when I joined this
project I had the same problems I think you're having to understand the
query.

Currently there is a "condition_type" table that actually should be
called "contract_fields" as it contains the possible fields to be
extracted from some contract using our clients' terminology. In this
table we find the label of the field, its actual data type (string,
currency, date, etc) among several other database fields.

So, "type_id" should actually be called "field_id" or
"contract_field_id". It doesn't hold only the data type.

Then we have a table called "transaction_condition" where I would call
it "field_value" or "transaction_field_value" (I simplified before since
a transaction can have multiple contracts but the field is actually part
of a transaction, not of some contract really - we have a references
table that will join the contract and position (paragraph,etc) in the
contract to the transaction).

So I can see two options here. We could either have a column of each
type in "transaction_condition" (or "field_value" as I would call it)
and create an index for each column, or we could have different tables
to store the values. It wasn't me who decided what approach to take some
years ago when this database was designed (I have not joined this
project by then). But I'm not sure either what approach I would have
taken. I would probably perform some benchmarks first before deciding
which one to choose.

But I guess you're seeing a third approach I'm unable to understand,
although I'd love to understand your proposal. Could you please provide
some example?

> You're doing all kinds of acrobatics to fight the schema by hiding it under
> various layers of abstraction.

We do that because we don't see another option. We'd love to know about
any suggestions to improve our design. We don't like to complicate
simple stuff ;)

Thanks in advance,
Rodrigo.

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
<rr.rosas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Em 06-11-2012 19:11, Merlin Moncure escreveu:

>>> No objection.
>>
>> hm, wouldn't timing the time to generate a raw EXPLAIN (that is,
>> without ANALYZE) give a rough estimate of planning time?   better to
>> rule it out before OP goes to the trouble...
>
> This was a great guess! Congrats, Merlin:

Heh -- that was tom's guess, not mine.  What this does is confirm the
planner regression and that elevates the importance of Tom's request
to get sample data so we (he) can fix it.

merlin

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

Date:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
> <rr.rosas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This was a great guess! Congrats, Merlin:

> Heh -- that was tom's guess, not mine.  What this does is confirm the
> planner regression and that elevates the importance of Tom's request
> to get sample data so we (he) can fix it.

Well, the fact that it's a planner runtime problem and not a
quality-of-plan problem is new information (I'd been assuming the
latter).  Given that, it's possible it's already fixed:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ca2d6a6cef5740b29406980eb8d21d44da32634b
but I'd still want to see a test case to be sure.  In any case,
it's not clear what's the critical difference between the "fast" and
"slow" versions of the query.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
Em 07-11-2012 14:34, Merlin Moncure escreveu:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
> <rr.rosas@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> hm, wouldn't timing the time to generate a raw EXPLAIN (that is,
>>> without ANALYZE) give a rough estimate of planning time?   better to
>>> rule it out before OP goes to the trouble...
>> This was a great guess! Congrats, Merlin:
> Heh -- that was tom's guess, not mine.  What this does is confirm the
> planner regression and that elevates the importance of Tom's request
> to get sample data so we (he) can fix it.

True, sorry :) So, thanks Tom! I have some good news. It seems I'll be
able to send the schema after just stripping a few parts of the schema
first.

Right now I have to leave but I think I'll have some time to do this
tomorrow, so I hope I can send you the test case tomorrow.

As a curious note I tried running a query with 11 fields (instead of 14
fields like in the example I gave you) and I didn't experience any
problems...

Thank you very much you both!

Date:
Em 07-11-2012 14:58, Tom Lane escreveu:
> Merlin Moncure<mmoncure@gmail.com>  writes:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
>> <rr.rosas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> This was a great guess! Congrats, Merlin:
>> Heh -- that was tom's guess, not mine.  What this does is confirm the
>> planner regression and that elevates the importance of Tom's request
>> to get sample data so we (he) can fix it.
> Well, the fact that it's a planner runtime problem and not a
> quality-of-plan problem is new information (I'd been assuming the
> latter).  Given that, it's possible it's already fixed:
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ca2d6a6cef5740b29406980eb8d21d44da32634b
> but I'd still want to see a test case to be sure.  In any case,
> it's not clear what's the critical difference between the "fast" and
> "slow" versions of the query.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Ok, I could finally strip part of my database schema that will allow you
to run the explain query and reproduce the issue.

There is a simple SQL dump in plain format that you can restore both on
9.1 and 9.2 and an example EXPLAIN query so that you can see the
difference between both versions.

Please keep me up to date with regards to any progress. Let me know if
the commit above fixed this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo.

Attachment

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

Date:
Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr.rosas@gmail.com> writes:
> Ok, I could finally strip part of my database schema that will allow you
> to run the explain query and reproduce the issue.

> There is a simple SQL dump in plain format that you can restore both on
> 9.1 and 9.2 and an example EXPLAIN query so that you can see the
> difference between both versions.

> Please keep me up to date with regards to any progress. Let me know if
> the commit above fixed this issue.

AFAICT, HEAD and 9.2 branch tip plan this query a bit faster than 9.1
does.  It does appear that the problem is the same one fixed in that
recent commit: the problem is you've got N join clauses all involving
t.id and so there are lots of redundant ways to use the index on t.id.

I've got to say though that this is one of the most bizarre database
schemas I've ever seen.  It seems to be sort of an unholy combination of
EAV and a star schema.  A star schema might not actually be a bad model
for what you're trying to do, but what you want for that is one big fact
table and a collection of *small* detail tables you join to it (small
meaning just one entry per possible value).  The way this is set up, you
need to join two or three tables before you can even join to the main
fact table - and those tables don't even have the virtue of being small.
That's never going to perform well.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
Ok, I could finally strip part of my database schema that will allow you
to run the explain query and reproduce the issue.
There is a simple SQL dump in plain format that you can restore both on
9.1 and 9.2 and an example EXPLAIN query so that you can see the
difference between both versions.
Please keep me up to date with regards to any progress. Let me know if
the commit above fixed this issue.
AFAICT, HEAD and 9.2 branch tip plan this query a bit faster than 9.1
does.

Great! What is the estimate for 9.2.2 release?

  It does appear that the problem is the same one fixed in that
recent commit: the problem is you've got N join clauses all involving
t.id and so there are lots of redundant ways to use the index on t.id.

And what is the reason why fast.sql performs much better than slow.sql? Is it possible to optimize the planner so that both fast.sql and slow.sql finish about the same time?

I've got to say though that this is one of the most bizarre database
schemas I've ever seen.

Merlin seems to share your opinion on that. I'd love to try a different database design when I have a chance.

What would you guys suggest me for handling my application requirements?

The only reason it is bizarre is because I have no idea on how to simplify much our database design using relational databases. And pstore also doesn't sound like a reasonable option either for our requirements.

The only other option I can think of is stop splitting transaction_condition in many tables (one for each data type). Then I'd need to include all possible columns in transaction_condition and I'm not sure if it would perform better and what would be the implications with regards to the database size since most columns will be null for each record. This also introduces another issue. I would need to create a trigger to detect if the record is valid upon insertion to avoid creating records with all columns set to NULL for instance. Currently each separate table that store the values have not-null constraints among others to prevent this kind of problem. Triggers are more complicated to maintain, specially because we're used to using an ORM (except for this particular case where I generate the SQL query manually instead of using an ORM for this).

Also, we migrate the database using standalone_migrations:

https://github.com/thuss/standalone-migrations

If we change a single line in the trigger code it won't be easy to see what line has changed in the commit that introduces the change because we would have to create a separate migration to alter the trigger with all code repeated.

  It seems to be sort of an unholy combination of
EAV and a star schema.  A star schema might not actually be a bad model
for what you're trying to do, but what you want for that is one big fact
table and a collection of *small* detail tables you join to it (small
meaning just one entry per possible value).  The way this is set up, you
need to join two or three tables before you can even join to the main
fact table - and those tables don't even have the virtue of being small.
That's never going to perform well.

If I understand correctly, you're suggesting that I dropped transaction_condition(id, transaction_id, type_id) and replaced condition_boolean_value(id, condition_id, value) with condition_boolean_value(id, transaction_id, type_id, value) and repeat the same idea for the other tables.

Is that right? Would that perform much better? If you think so, I could try this approach when I find some time. But I'd also need to denormalize other related tables I didn't send in the schema dump. For instance, the documents snippets have also a condition_id column. Each field value (transaction_condition) can have multiple contract snippets in a table called condition_document_excerpt(id, document_id, condition_id, "position"). I'd need to remove condition_id from it and append transaction_id and type_id just like the values tables. No big deal if this would speed up our queries.

Am I missing something?

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas escribió:
> Em 07-11-2012 22:58, Tom Lane escreveu:
> >Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas<rr.rosas@gmail.com>  writes:
> >>Ok, I could finally strip part of my database schema that will allow you
> >>to run the explain query and reproduce the issue.
> >>There is a simple SQL dump in plain format that you can restore both on
> >>9.1 and 9.2 and an example EXPLAIN query so that you can see the
> >>difference between both versions.
> >>Please keep me up to date with regards to any progress. Let me know if
> >>the commit above fixed this issue.
> >AFAICT, HEAD and 9.2 branch tip plan this query a bit faster than 9.1
> >does.
>
> Great! What is the estimate for 9.2.2 release?

Hasn't been announced, but you can grab a snapshot right now from
ftp.postgresql.org if you want.

Date:
Em 08-11-2012 13:38, Alvaro Herrera escreveu:
> Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas escribió:
>>> AFAICT, HEAD and 9.2 branch tip plan this query a bit faster than 9.1
>>> does.
>> Great! What is the estimate for 9.2.2 release?
> Hasn't been announced, but you can grab a snapshot right now from
> ftp.postgresql.org if you want.

Thank you, Álvaro, but I prefer to use official Debian packages instead
since they are easier to manage and more integrated to our OS.

For now I have rolled back to 9.1 this morning and it is working fine,
so I don't have any rush. I just want an estimate to know when I should
try upgrading 9.2 from experimental again after 9.2.2 is released.

Cheers,
Rodrigo.

Re: Query completed in < 1s in PG 9.1 and ~ 700s in PG 9.2

From
aasat
Date:
Please try LIMIT 1 in exists

 exists(select id from condition_document_excerpt where
condition_id=c1686.id LIMIT 1) as v1686_has_reference