Memory taken by FSM_relations

From
Josh Berkus
Folks:

I'm not clear on where the memory needed by max_fsm_pages comes from.   Is it
taken out of the shared_buffers, or in addition to them?

Further, Joe Conway gave me a guesstimate of 6k per max_fsm_pages which seems
rather high ... in fact, the default settings for this value (10000) would
swamp the memory used by the rest of Postgres.  Does anyone have a good
measurment of the memory load imposed by higher FSM settings?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Memory taken by FSM_relations

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Further, Joe Conway gave me a guesstimate of 6k per max_fsm_pages which seems
> rather high ... in fact, the default settings for this value (10000) would
> swamp the memory used by the rest of Postgres.

I don't recall (and cannot find in my sent mail) ever making that
guesstimate. Can you provide some context?

Joe

Re: Memory taken by FSM_relations

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Joe,

> I don't recall (and cannot find in my sent mail) ever making that
> guesstimate. Can you provide some context?

Yeah, hold on ... hmmm ... no, your e-mail did not provide a figure. Sorry!

Maybe I got it from Neil?

In any case, it can't be the right figure ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Memory taken by FSM_relations

From
Larry Rosenman

--On Monday, February 24, 2003 11:11:34 -0800 Joe Conway
<mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Further, Joe Conway gave me a guesstimate of 6k per max_fsm_pages which
>> seems  rather high ... in fact, the default settings for this value
>> (10000) would  swamp the memory used by the rest of Postgres.
>
> I don't recall (and cannot find in my sent mail) ever making that
> guesstimate. Can you provide some context?
It may be 6 **BYTES** per max_fsm_pages.

> Joe

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Memory taken by FSM_relations

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Joe Conway wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Further, Joe Conway gave me a guesstimate of 6k per max_fsm_pages which seems
> > rather high ... in fact, the default settings for this value (10000) would
> > swamp the memory used by the rest of Postgres.
>
> I don't recall (and cannot find in my sent mail) ever making that
> guesstimate. Can you provide some context?

If I remember right, it was 6 BYTES per max fsm pages...  not kbytes.
That sounds about right anyway.

Re: Memory taken by FSM_relations

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Scott,

> If I remember right, it was 6 BYTES per max fsm pages...  not kbytes.
> That sounds about right anyway.

So, does it come out of Shared_buffers or add to it?

--

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I'm not clear on where the memory needed by max_fsm_pages comes from.
> Is it taken out of the shared_buffers, or in addition to them?

In addition to.  Basically max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relations are used
to ratchet up the postmaster's initial shared memory request to the kernel.

> Further, Joe Conway gave me a guesstimate of 6k per max_fsm_pages
> which seems rather high ...

Quite ;-).  The correct figure is six bytes per fsm_page slot, and
I think about forty bytes per fsm_relation slot (recent versions of
postgresql.conf mention the multipliers, although for some reason
the Admin Guide does not).

            regards, tom lane