patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

From
"Robert B. Easter"
Date:
This was a trivial thing to implement in the parser (unless I overlooked
something!).  Please review it and let me know if I missed something.  This
adds SQL-1999 BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC] language.  Hopefully it's not
considered just SQL bloat. ;)

--
-------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
-- CompTechNews Message Board http://www.comptechnews.com/ --

Attachment

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
"Robert B. Easter" <reaster@comptechnews.com> writes:
> This was a trivial thing to implement in the parser (unless I overlooked
> something!).  Please review it and let me know if I missed something.

ColId (or at least ColLabel) entries for the added keywords.

This doesn't strike me as a particularly efficient implementation,
but until there's a groundswell of actual use, maybe we don't care...

            regards, tom lane

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> This was a trivial thing to implement in the parser (unless I overlooked
> something!).  Please review it and let me know if I missed something.  This
> adds SQL-1999 BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC] language.  Hopefully it's not
> considered just SQL bloat. ;)

No more bloat than in the rest of the language ;)

I *assume* that this will have trouble making it in to 7.1, and since
keywords are likely added this may have trouble with 7.1.x (not sure
about that; perhaps the lex-generated token values never make it into
the database tables, but they *do* propagate into structures used deeper
in the backend).

                    - Thomas

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
> I *assume* that this will have trouble making it in to 7.1, and since
> keywords are likely added this may have trouble with 7.1.x (not sure
> about that; perhaps the lex-generated token values never make it into
> the database tables, but they *do* propagate into structures used deeper
> in the backend).

Since he didn't add a new parsetree node type, there wouldn't be any
database compatibility issue AFAIK.  I'm pretty certain that keyword
token values never get into stored rules.

However, there is our self-imposed "no new features during beta" rule.
This looks like a relatively harmless patch, but do we want to break
that rule for something that people are not beating down our doors for?

I'd vote for holding it for 7.2, I think.

            regards, tom lane

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
I concur. about holding for 7.2.  Though this is of limited danger, it
is not something that is really in hight demand.

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> > I *assume* that this will have trouble making it in to 7.1, and since
> > keywords are likely added this may have trouble with 7.1.x (not sure
> > about that; perhaps the lex-generated token values never make it into
> > the database tables, but they *do* propagate into structures used deeper
> > in the backend).
>
> Since he didn't add a new parsetree node type, there wouldn't be any
> database compatibility issue AFAIK.  I'm pretty certain that keyword
> token values never get into stored rules.
>
> However, there is our self-imposed "no new features during beta" rule.
> This looks like a relatively harmless patch, but do we want to break
> that rule for something that people are not beating down our doors for?
>
> I'd vote for holding it for 7.2, I think.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
Can someone comment on this?

> This was a trivial thing to implement in the parser (unless I overlooked
> something!).  Please review it and let me know if I missed something.  This
> adds SQL-1999 BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC] language.  Hopefully it's not
> considered just SQL bloat. ;)
>
> --
> -------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
> -- CompTechNews Message Board http://www.comptechnews.com/ --
> -- CompTechServ Tech Services http://www.comptechserv.com/ --
> ---------- http://www.comptechnews.com/~reaster/ ------------

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
> Can someone comment on this?

It's a new feature, so it should wait for 7.2 ...

In any case, there are further considerations here, like getting
ruleutils.c to reverse-list the construct correctly.  When we
redesign querytree structures, reconstructability needs to be one
of the considerations.

            regards, tom lane

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
Robert, did we ever resolve if this is a valuable patch?

> This was a trivial thing to implement in the parser (unless I overlooked
> something!).  Please review it and let me know if I missed something.  This
> adds SQL-1999 BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC] language.  Hopefully it's not
> considered just SQL bloat. ;)
>
> --
> -------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
> -- CompTechNews Message Board http://www.comptechnews.com/ --
> -- CompTechServ Tech Services http://www.comptechserv.com/ --
> ---------- http://www.comptechnews.com/~reaster/ ------------

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
Can someone comment on where we left this?

> This was a trivial thing to implement in the parser (unless I overlooked
> something!).  Please review it and let me know if I missed something.  This
> adds SQL-1999 BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC] language.  Hopefully it's not
> considered just SQL bloat. ;)

*** gram.y    Wed Jan 10 20:45:40 2001
--- gram.y.modi    Wed Jan 10 20:44:38 2001
***************
*** 321,332 ****
          WHEN, WHERE, WITH, WORK, YEAR_P, ZONE

  /* Keywords (in SQL3 reserved words) */
! %token    CHAIN, CHARACTERISTICS,
          DEFERRABLE, DEFERRED,
          IMMEDIATE, INITIALLY, INOUT,
          OFF, OUT,
          PATH_P, PENDANT,
          RESTRICT,
          TRIGGER,
          WITHOUT

--- 321,334 ----
          WHEN, WHERE, WITH, WORK, YEAR_P, ZONE

  /* Keywords (in SQL3 reserved words) */
! %token    ASYMMETRIC,
!         CHAIN, CHARACTERISTICS,
          DEFERRABLE, DEFERRED,
          IMMEDIATE, INITIALLY, INOUT,
          OFF, OUT,
          PATH_P, PENDANT,
          RESTRICT,
+         SYMMETRIC,
          TRIGGER,
          WITHOUT

***************
*** 4452,4462 ****
--- 4454,4496 ----
                          makeA_Expr(OP, ">=", $1, $3),
                          makeA_Expr(OP, "<=", $1, $5));
                  }
+         | a_expr BETWEEN ASYMMETRIC b_expr AND b_expr
+                 {
+                     $$ = makeA_Expr(AND, NULL,
+                         makeA_Expr(OP, ">=", $1, $4),
+                         makeA_Expr(OP, "<=", $1, $6));
+                 }
+         | a_expr BETWEEN SYMMETRIC b_expr AND b_expr
+                 {
+                     $$ = makeA_Expr(OR, NULL,
+                             makeA_Expr(AND, NULL,
+                                 makeA_Expr(OP, ">=", $1, $4),
+                                 makeA_Expr(OP, "<=", $1, $6)),
+                             makeA_Expr(AND, NULL,
+                                 makeA_Expr(OP, ">=", $1, $6),
+                                 makeA_Expr(OP, "<=", $1, $4)) );
+                 }
          | a_expr NOT BETWEEN b_expr AND b_expr
                  {
                      $$ = makeA_Expr(OR, NULL,
                          makeA_Expr(OP, "<", $1, $4),
                          makeA_Expr(OP, ">", $1, $6));
+                 }
+         | a_expr NOT BETWEEN ASYMMETRIC b_expr AND b_expr
+                 {
+                     $$ = makeA_Expr(OR, NULL,
+                         makeA_Expr(OP, "<", $1, $5),
+                         makeA_Expr(OP, ">", $1, $7));
+                 }
+         | a_expr NOT BETWEEN SYMMETRIC b_expr AND b_expr
+                 {
+                     $$ = makeA_Expr(AND, NULL,
+                             makeA_Expr(OR, NULL,
+                                 makeA_Expr(OP, "<", $1, $5),
+                                 makeA_Expr(OP, ">", $1, $7)),
+                             makeA_Expr(OR, NULL,
+                                 makeA_Expr(OP, "<", $1, $7),
+                                 makeA_Expr(OP, ">", $1, $5)) );
                  }
          | a_expr IN '(' in_expr ')'
                  {

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
> Can someone comment on where we left this?

The grammar patch is incorrect/incomplete as given (no keywords.c
entries, no additions to the TokenId list), unless you quoted only
part of it.

More generally, I hate to see us yet again doing a quick shortcut that
loses information.  BETWEEN really ought to be a 3-operand function or
special expression node type, so that it (a) can be reverse-listed
sensibly, and (b) doesn't result in multiple evaluations of its inputs.

            regards, tom lane

Re: patch for BETWEEN [ASYMMETRIC|SYMMETRIC]

Date:
OK, patch rejected.