Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?

From
Pavan Deolasee
Date:
Hi,

I noticed this behavior on master and it seems like a bug to me:

postgres=# CREATE TABLE test (a float check (a > 10.2));
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# CREATE TABLE test_child() INHERITS(test);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a SET DATA TYPE numeric;                                                                                                                    ERROR:  constraint must be added to child tables too

The error message seems unintended. Sure, we are changing the data type of a column which has a constraint on it. The ALTER TABLE mechanism would drop and recreate that constraint after changing the data type of the column.

The ATAddCheckConstraint() function checks if the "recurse" flag is passed (basically check against ONLY clause). If the flag is not passed and the table has children, it raises the above mentioned exception. This is right for a normal ADD CONSTRAINT operation because we don't want to allow constraint addition ONLY on the parent table unless there are no child tables currently on the parent. But when constraint is being re-added as a side-effect of another ALTER TABLE command, we shouldn't really be raising an exception because ATPrepCmd() would have expanded to child tables and there would appropriate commands in the work queue to recreate constraints on all the child tables as well.

So I think we need to teach ATAddCheckConstraint() to not do this check if its being called from AT_PASS_OLD_INDEX of ALTER TABLE.

I can work up a patch if we are in agreement that this indeed is a bug and the approach that I mentioned for fixing this is also right. Comments ?

Thanks,
Pavan

Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?

Date:
Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> writes:
> I noticed this behavior on master and it seems like a bug to me:

> postgres=# CREATE TABLE test (a float check (a > 10.2));
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# CREATE TABLE test_child() INHERITS(test);
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a SET DATA TYPE numeric;
> ERROR:  constraint must be added to child tables too

Interestingly, this works in 8.3 and earlier ... but it fails as
described in all later versions.  So we broke it quite some time back.
It would be good to identify exactly what change broke it.
        regards, tom lane

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> writes:
> I noticed this behavior on master and it seems like a bug to me:

> postgres=# CREATE TABLE test (a float check (a > 10.2));
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# CREATE TABLE test_child() INHERITS(test);
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a SET DATA TYPE numeric;
> ERROR:  constraint must be added to child tables too

Interestingly, this works in 8.3 and earlier ... but it fails as
described in all later versions.  So we broke it quite some time back.
It would be good to identify exactly what change broke it.

Hmm.. I haven't yet tested on other branches. But I'm surprised that you find it broken on so much old branches. "git annotate" suggests that the offending error message was added by commit 09ff76fcdb275769ac4d1a45a67416735613d04b and that commit is dated Apr 20, 2012

Thanks,
Pavan

Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?

From
Nikhil Sontakke

> postgres=# CREATE TABLE test (a float check (a > 10.2));
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# CREATE TABLE test_child() INHERITS(test);
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a SET DATA TYPE numeric;
> ERROR:  constraint must be added to child tables too

Interestingly, this works in 8.3 and earlier ... but it fails as
described in all later versions.  So we broke it quite some time back.
It would be good to identify exactly what change broke it.

Hmm.. I haven't yet tested on other branches. But I'm surprised that you find it broken on so much old branches. "git annotate" suggests that the offending error message was added by commit 09ff76fcdb275769ac4d1a45a67416735613d04b and that commit is dated Apr 20, 2012

Mea Culpa. I did indeed add that error message. But it's strange when Tom says that this is broken since 8.3!

Regards,
Nikhils
--
StormDB - http://www.stormdb.com
The Database Cloud

Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?

Date:
Nikhil Sontakke <nikkhils@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hmm.. I haven't yet tested on other branches. But I'm surprised that you
>> find it broken on so much old branches. "git annotate" suggests that the
>> offending error message was added by commit
>> 09ff76fcdb275769ac4d1a45a67416735613d04b and that commit is dated Apr 20,
>> 2012

> Mea Culpa. I did indeed add that error message. But it's strange when Tom
> says that this is broken since 8.3!

In the 8.4 branch, the error is coming from here:

regression=# \set VERBOSITY verbose
regression=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a  TYPE numeric;
ERROR:  42P16: constraint must be added to child tables too
LOCATION:  ATAddCheckConstraint, tablecmds.c:4467

which appears to have been added in commit cd902b331.  I think the
commit Pavan is looking at just moved the logic around.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?

From
Pavan Deolasee

In the 8.4 branch, the error is coming from here:

regression=# \set VERBOSITY verbose
regression=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a  TYPE numeric;
ERROR:  42P16: constraint must be added to child tables too
LOCATION:  ATAddCheckConstraint, tablecmds.c:4467

which appears to have been added in commit cd902b331.  I think the
commit Pavan is looking at just moved the logic around.

I also though that for a moment, but the commit that I mentioned did not move that error message from somewhere else. I also tested by resetting to commit 1f0363001166ef6a43619846e44cfb9dbe7335ed (previous to the offending commit) and don't see any error.

But since you're seeing it, may it was taken out by some other older commit and then added back again. Will look more into it

Thanks,
Pavan

Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?

From
Pavan Deolasee

I also though that for a moment, but the commit that I mentioned did not move that error message from somewhere else. I also tested by resetting to commit 1f0363001166ef6a43619846e44cfb9dbe7335ed (previous to the offending commit) and don't see any error.

But since you're seeing it, may it was taken out by some other older commit and then added back again. Will look more into it

Here is more trace:

The error message was first added by:
commit cd902b331dc4b0c170e800441a98f9213d98b46b