Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nikhil Sontakke
Subject Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> postgres=# CREATE TABLE test (a float check (a > 10.2));
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# CREATE TABLE test_child() INHERITS(test);
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a SET DATA TYPE numeric;
> ERROR:  constraint must be added to child tables too

Interestingly, this works in 8.3 and earlier ... but it fails as
described in all later versions.  So we broke it quite some time back.
It would be good to identify exactly what change broke it.

Hmm.. I haven't yet tested on other branches. But I'm surprised that you find it broken on so much old branches. "git annotate" suggests that the offending error message was added by commit 09ff76fcdb275769ac4d1a45a67416735613d04b and that commit is dated Apr 20, 2012

Mea Culpa. I did indeed add that error message. But it's strange when Tom says that this is broken since 8.3!

Regards,
Nikhils
--
StormDB - http://www.stormdb.com