Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I noticed this behavior on master and it seems like a bug to me:

postgres=# CREATE TABLE test (a float check (a > 10.2));
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# CREATE TABLE test_child() INHERITS(test);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a SET DATA TYPE numeric;                                                                                                                    ERROR:  constraint must be added to child tables too

The error message seems unintended. Sure, we are changing the data type of a column which has a constraint on it. The ALTER TABLE mechanism would drop and recreate that constraint after changing the data type of the column.

The ATAddCheckConstraint() function checks if the "recurse" flag is passed (basically check against ONLY clause). If the flag is not passed and the table has children, it raises the above mentioned exception. This is right for a normal ADD CONSTRAINT operation because we don't want to allow constraint addition ONLY on the parent table unless there are no child tables currently on the parent. But when constraint is being re-added as a side-effect of another ALTER TABLE command, we shouldn't really be raising an exception because ATPrepCmd() would have expanded to child tables and there would appropriate commands in the work queue to recreate constraints on all the child tables as well.

So I think we need to teach ATAddCheckConstraint() to not do this check if its being called from AT_PASS_OLD_INDEX of ALTER TABLE.

I can work up a patch if we are in agreement that this indeed is a bug and the approach that I mentioned for fixing this is also right. Comments ?

Thanks,
Pavan