Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

For the code sprint, I'm starting off by removing the projects from
contrib which need to be removed by still have some usefulness.  I'm not
exactly sure what to do with adddepends, though.   It seems unlike to
lead an independant existance on pgFoundry; I'm inclined to just nuke it.

For those of you who don't want to hunt through the archives, the
reasons we're removing adddepends are:

1) Rod Taylor is not interested in maintaining it anymore;
2) It currently throws errors on 8.2 (and probably earlier);
3) With KL's improvements to pg_dump for 8.0, about half of its
functionality is no longer necessary.

So, speak up if someone thinks there's some reason to save adddepends
anywhere other than the CVS and FTP archives.

--Josh Berkus

Re: Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For the code sprint, I'm starting off by removing the projects from
> contrib which need to be removed by still have some usefulness.  I'm not
> exactly sure what to do with adddepends, though.   It seems unlike to
> lead an independent existence on pgFoundry; I'm inclined to just nuke it.

I vote for the nuclear option.  ;-)

Re: Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > For the code sprint, I'm starting off by removing the projects from
> > contrib which need to be removed by still have some usefulness.  I'm not
> > exactly sure what to do with adddepends, though.   It seems unlike to
> > lead an independent existence on pgFoundry; I'm inclined to just nuke it.
>
> I vote for the nuclear option.  ;-)

There are still 7.2 systems out there which need it. The problem is,
adddepend is broken when run against 8.1. It breaks on serial, I think.

Gavin

Re: Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Monday 10 July 2006 11:43, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > For the code sprint, I'm starting off by removing the projects from
> > > contrib which need to be removed by still have some usefulness.  I'm
> > > not exactly sure what to do with adddepends, though.   It seems unlike
> > > to lead an independent existence on pgFoundry; I'm inclined to just
> > > nuke it.
> >
> > I vote for the nuclear option.  ;-)
>
> There are still 7.2 systems out there which need it.

My understanding is that 7.2 is EOL... if people have 7.2 and need it they can
pull the sources from anythin <= 8.2 yes?

So I vote nuke!

Joshua D. Drake

> The problem is,
> adddepend is broken when run against 8.1. It breaks on serial, I think.
>
> Gavin

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--   === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240  Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > For the code sprint, I'm starting off by removing the projects from
> > > contrib which need to be removed by still have some usefulness.  I'm not
> > > exactly sure what to do with adddepends, though.   It seems unlike to
> > > lead an independent existence on pgFoundry; I'm inclined to just nuke it.
> >
> > I vote for the nuclear option.  ;-)
>
> There are still 7.2 systems out there which need it. The problem is,
> adddepend is broken when run against 8.1. It breaks on serial, I think.

Which is not really a problem, because it seems actually kinda absurd to
be running adddepend against an 8.1 server.  I mean, if you spent all
that time running with broken FKs and stuff from 7.2 to 8.1, why are you
going to care now?

I don't think it would be very difficult to solve the problem with
serial anyway.

Re: Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gavin,

>>There are still 7.2 systems out there which need it. The problem is,
>>adddepend is broken when run against 8.1. It breaks on serial, I think.

And on some other stuff, too.  I didn't document all the failures, I
just tested and killed it.

Think is, 8.1 does a much better job of upgrading 7.2 datatabases than
7.3 or 7.4 did anyway.  I just tested using a database created in 7.1
and upgraded to 7.2 which has a baroque and unnecessarily complex schema
(legacy production applicaiton) which breaks on 7.4 without adddepends.  I was able to upgrade it to 8.2(today) and it
workedwithout adddepends.

I'm testing dump, load, dump, load now to see if it still works OK.

--Josh

Re: Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> For the code sprint, I'm starting off by removing the projects from
>> contrib which need to be removed by still have some usefulness.  I'm not
>> exactly sure what to do with adddepends, though.   It seems unlike to
>> lead an independent existence on pgFoundry; I'm inclined to just nuke it.
>
> I vote for the nuclear option.  ;-)

as I said when this first came up - we still get a sizable number of
support requests from people trying to import dumps(!) of very old
postgresql versions on IRC.
adddepends is often of some value for those people and I would rather
like to see it fixed for 8.1 and maybe even 8.2 ...

Stefan

Re: Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 11:22:49AM -0400, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For the code sprint, I'm starting off by removing the projects from
> contrib which need to be removed by still have some usefulness.  I'm
> not exactly sure what to do with adddepends, though.   It seems
> unlike to lead an independant existance on pgFoundry; I'm inclined
> to just nuke it.
>
> For those of you who don't want to hunt through the archives, the
> reasons we're removing adddepends are:
>
> 1) Rod Taylor is not interested in maintaining it anymore;
> 2) It currently throws errors on 8.2 (and probably earlier);
> 3) With KL's improvements to pg_dump for 8.0, about half of its
> functionality is no longer necessary.
>
> So, speak up if someone thinks there's some reason to save
> adddepends anywhere other than the CVS and FTP archives.

As Ripley famously said:
   I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the   only way to be sure.

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Removing AddDepends; should I bother with a project?

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> 1) Rod Taylor is not interested in maintaining it anymore;
> 2) It currently throws errors on 8.2 (and probably earlier);
> 3) With KL's improvements to pg_dump for 8.0, about half of its
> functionality is no longer necessary.
>
> So, speak up if someone thinks there's some reason to save adddepends
> anywhere other than the CVS and FTP archives.

I think it absolutely should be kept on pgFoundry no?  I don't see how
my improvements to pg_dump help anyone upgrading from 7.2 to later versions?

Date:
> Think is, 8.1 does a much better job of upgrading 7.2 datatabases than
> 7.3 or 7.4 did anyway.  I just tested using a database created in 7.1
> and upgraded to 7.2 which has a baroque and unnecessarily complex schema
> (legacy production applicaiton) which breaks on 7.4 without adddepends.
>  I was able to upgrade it to 8.2(today) and it worked without adddepends.
>
> I'm testing dump, load, dump, load now to see if it still works OK.

That's irrelevant - does it actually have FK's is the question.  I bet
you'll instead have a bunch of CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER statements...