UTF8 or Unicode

Date:
Should our multi-byte encoding be referred to as UTF8 or Unicode?
I know UTF8 is a type of unicode but do we need to rename anything from
Unicode to UTF8?

Someone asked me via private email.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Abhijit Menon-Sen
Date:
At 2005-02-14 21:14:54 -0500, pgman@candle.pha.pa.us wrote:

> Should our multi-byte encoding be referred to as UTF8 or Unicode?

The *encoding* should certainly be referred to as UTF-8. Unicode is a
character set, not an encoding; Unicode characters may be encoded with
UTF-8, among other things.

(One might think of a charset as being a set of integers representing
characters, and an encoding as specifying how those integers may be
converted to bytes.)

> I know UTF8 is a type of unicode but do we need to rename anything
> from Unicode to UTF8?

I don't know. I'll go through the documentation to see if I can find
anything that needs changing.

-- ams

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

Date:
Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> At 2005-02-14 21:14:54 -0500, pgman@candle.pha.pa.us wrote:
> >
> > Should our multi-byte encoding be referred to as UTF8 or Unicode?
>
> The *encoding* should certainly be referred to as UTF-8. Unicode is a
> character set, not an encoding; Unicode characters may be encoded with
> UTF-8, among other things.
>
> (One might think of a charset as being a set of integers representing
> characters, and an encoding as specifying how those integers may be
> converted to bytes.)
>
> > I know UTF8 is a type of unicode but do we need to rename anything
> > from Unicode to UTF8?
>
> I don't know. I'll go through the documentation to see if I can find
> anything that needs changing.

I looked at encoding.sgml and that mentions Unicode, and then UTF8 as an
acronym. I am wondering if we need to make UTF8 first and Unicode
second.  Does initdb accept UTF8 as an encoding?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Karel Zak
Date:
On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 22:05 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> > At 2005-02-14 21:14:54 -0500, pgman@candle.pha.pa.us wrote:
> > >
> > > Should our multi-byte encoding be referred to as UTF8 or Unicode?
> >
> > The *encoding* should certainly be referred to as UTF-8. Unicode is a
> > character set, not an encoding; Unicode characters may be encoded with
> > UTF-8, among other things.
> >
> > (One might think of a charset as being a set of integers representing
> > characters, and an encoding as specifying how those integers may be
> > converted to bytes.)
> >
> > > I know UTF8 is a type of unicode but do we need to rename anything
> > > from Unicode to UTF8?
> >
> > I don't know. I'll go through the documentation to see if I can find
> > anything that needs changing.
>
> I looked at encoding.sgml and that mentions Unicode, and then UTF8 as an
> acronym. I am wondering if we need to make UTF8 first and Unicode
> second.  Does initdb accept UTF8 as an encoding?

in PG: unicode = utf8 = utf-8

Our internal routines in src/backend/utils/mb/encnames.c accept all
synonyms. The "official" internal PG name for UTF-8 is "UNICODE" :-(

It's historical reason that UTF8 = UNICODE, because there was "UNICODE"
first. It's same like "WIN" for WIN1251 (in sources it's marked as
"_dirty_ alias")...

I think initdb uses pg_char_to_encoding() from
src/backend/utils/mb/encnames.c and it should be accept all aliases.
Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Dienstag, 15. Februar 2005 10:22 schrieb Karel Zak:
> in PG: unicode = utf8 = utf-8
>
> Our internal routines in src/backend/utils/mb/encnames.c accept all
> synonyms. The "official" internal PG name for UTF-8 is "UNICODE" :-(

I think in the SQL standard the official name is UTF8.  If someone wants to
verify that this is the case and is exactly the encoding we offer (perhaps
modulo the 0x10000 issue), then it might make sense to change the canonical
form to UTF8.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Agent M
Date:
On Feb 14, 2005, at 9:27 PM, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:

>> I know UTF8 is a type of unicode but do we need to rename anything
>> from Unicode to UTF8?
>
> I don't know. I'll go through the documentation to see if I can find
> anything that needs changing.

It's not the documentation that is wrong. Specifying the database
"encoding" as "Unicode" is simply a bug (see initdb). What if
postgresql supports UTF-16 in the future? What would you call it?

Also, the backend protocol also uses "UNICODE" when specifying the
encoding. All the other encoding names are specified correctly AFAICS.

I brought this up before:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-10/msg00811.php

We could make UTF8 the canonical form in the aliasing mechanism, but
beta 4 is a bit late to come up with this kind of idea.
--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Karel Zak
Date:
On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:33 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 15. Februar 2005 10:22 schrieb Karel Zak:
> > in PG: unicode = utf8 = utf-8
> >
> > Our internal routines in src/backend/utils/mb/encnames.c accept all
> > synonyms. The "official" internal PG name for UTF-8 is "UNICODE" :-(
>
> I think in the SQL standard the official name is UTF8.  If someone wants to
> verify that this is the case and is exactly the encoding we offer (perhaps
> modulo the 0x10000 issue), then it might make sense to change the canonical
> form to UTF8.

Yes, I think we should fix it and remove UNICODE and WIN encoding names
from PG code.
Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Oliver Jowett
Karel Zak wrote:

> Yes, I think we should fix it and remove UNICODE and WIN encoding names
> from PG code.

The JDBC driver asks for a UNICODE client encoding before it knows the
server version it is talking to. How do you avoid breaking this?

-O

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Karel Zak
Date:
On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 00:27 +1300, Oliver Jowett wrote:
> Karel Zak wrote:
>
> > Yes, I think we should fix it and remove UNICODE and WIN encoding names
> > from PG code.
>
> The JDBC driver asks for a UNICODE client encoding before it knows the
> server version it is talking to. How do you avoid breaking this?

Fix JDBC driver as soon as possible.

Add to 8.1 release notes: encoding names 'UNICODE' and 'WIN' are
deprecated and it will removed in next release. Please, use correct
names "UTF-8" and "WIN1215".

8.2: remove it.

OK?
Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Add to 8.1 release notes: encoding names 'UNICODE' and 'WIN' are
> deprecated and it will removed in next release. Please, use correct
> names "UTF-8" and "WIN1215".
>
> 8.2: remove it.
>
> OK?

Why on earth remove it?  Just leave it in as an alias to UTF8

Chris

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Oliver Jowett
Karel Zak wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 00:27 +1300, Oliver Jowett wrote:
>
>>Karel Zak wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, I think we should fix it and remove UNICODE and WIN encoding names
>>>from PG code.
>>
>>The JDBC driver asks for a UNICODE client encoding before it knows the
>>server version it is talking to. How do you avoid breaking this?
>
> Fix JDBC driver as soon as possible.

How, exactly? Ask for a 'utf8' client encoding instead of 'UNICODE'?
Will this work if the driver is connecting to an older server?

> Add to 8.1 release notes: encoding names 'UNICODE' and 'WIN' are
> deprecated and it will removed in next release. Please, use correct
> names "UTF-8" and "WIN1215".

8.0 appears to spell it 'utf8'.

Removing the existing aliases seems like a fairly gratuitous
incompatibility to introduce to me.

-O

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
"Dave Page"

>> Yes, I think we should fix it and remove UNICODE and WIN encoding names
>> from PG code.
>
> The JDBC driver asks for a UNICODE client encoding before it knows the
> server version it is talking to. How do you avoid breaking this?

So does pgAdmin.

Regards, Dave

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

Dave Page wrote:
> Karel Zak wrote:
>
> >> Yes, I think we should fix it and remove UNICODE and WIN encoding names
> >> from PG code.
> >
> > The JDBC driver asks for a UNICODE client encoding before it knows the
> > server version it is talking to. How do you avoid breaking this?
>
> So does pgAdmin.

I think we just need to _favor_ UTF8.  The question is where are we
favoring Unicode rather than UTF8?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

Date:
> I think we just need to _favor_ UTF8.

I agree.

> The question is where are we
> favoring Unicode rather than UTF8?

It's the canonical name of the encoding, both in the code and the docs.

regression=# create database e encoding 'utf-8';
CREATE DATABASE
regression=# \l        List of databases   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
------------+----------+-----------e          | postgres | UNICODEregression | postgres | SQL_ASCIItemplate0  |
postgres| SQL_ASCIItemplate1  | postgres | SQL_ASCII

(5 rows)

As soon as we decide whether the canonical name is "UTF8" or "UTF-8"
;-) we can fix it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think we just need to _favor_ UTF8.
>
> I agree.
>
> > The question is where are we
> > favoring Unicode rather than UTF8?
>
> It's the canonical name of the encoding, both in the code and the docs.
>
> regression=# create database e encoding 'utf-8';
> CREATE DATABASE
> regression=# \l
>          List of databases
>     Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
> ------------+----------+-----------
>  e          | postgres | UNICODE
>  regression | postgres | SQL_ASCII
>  template0  | postgres | SQL_ASCII
>  template1  | postgres | SQL_ASCII
> (5 rows)
>
> As soon as we decide whether the canonical name is "UTF8" or "UTF-8"
> ;-) we can fix it.

I checked and it looks like "UTF-8" is the correct usage:
http://www.unicode.org/glossary/

Pennsylvania19073

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
I do not object the changing UNICODE->UTF-8, but all these discussions
sound a little bit funny to me.

If you want to blame UNICODE, you should blame LATIN1 etc. as
well. LATIN1(ISO-8859-1) is actually a character set name, not an
encoding name. ISO-8859-1 can be encoded in 8-bit single byte
stream. But it can be encoded in 7-bit too. So when we refer to
LATIN1(ISO-8859-1), it's not clear if it's encoded in 7/8-bit.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:08:25 -0500 (EST)

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> I do not object the changing UNICODE->UTF-8, but all these discussions
> sound a little bit funny to me.
>
> If you want to blame UNICODE, you should blame LATIN1 etc. as
> well. LATIN1(ISO-8859-1) is actually a character set name, not an
> encoding name. ISO-8859-1 can be encoded in 8-bit single byte
> stream. But it can be encoded in 7-bit too. So when we refer to
> LATIN1(ISO-8859-1), it's not clear if it's encoded in 7/8-bit.

Wow, Tatsuo has a point here.  Looking at encnames.c, I see:
       "UNICODE", PG_UTF8

but also:
       "WIN", PG_WIN1251       "LATIN1", PG_LATIN1

and I see conversions for those:
       "iso88591", PG_LATIN1       "win", PG_WIN1251

so I see what he is saying.  We are not consistent in favoring the
official names vs. the common names.

I will work on a patch that people can review and test.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We are not consistent in favoring the
> official names vs. the common names.

The problem is rather that there are too many standards and conventions
to choose from.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Karel Zak
Date:
On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 23:51 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > I do not object the changing UNICODE->UTF-8, but all these discussions
> > sound a little bit funny to me.
> >
> > If you want to blame UNICODE, you should blame LATIN1 etc. as
> > well. LATIN1(ISO-8859-1) is actually a character set name, not an
> > encoding name. ISO-8859-1 can be encoded in 8-bit single byte
> > stream. But it can be encoded in 7-bit too. So when we refer to
> > LATIN1(ISO-8859-1), it's not clear if it's encoded in 7/8-bit.
>
> Wow, Tatsuo has a point here.  Looking at encnames.c, I see:
>
>         "UNICODE", PG_UTF8
>
> but also:
>
>         "WIN", PG_WIN1251
>         "LATIN1", PG_LATIN1

> so I see what he is saying.  We are not consistent in favoring the
> official names vs. the common names.

Yes. I said already. For example "WIN" is extremely bad alias. It all is
heritage from old versions.

> I will work on a patch that people can review and test.

Thanks.
Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Freitag, 25. Februar 2005 05:51 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> so I see what he is saying.  We are not consistent in favoring the
> official names vs. the common names.
>
> I will work on a patch that people can review and test.

I think this is what we should do:

UNICODE => UTF8
ALT => WIN866
WIN => WIN1251
TCVN => WIN1258

That should clear it up.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 25. Februar 2005 05:51 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > so I see what he is saying.  We are not consistent in favoring the
> > official names vs. the common names.
> >
> > I will work on a patch that people can review and test.
>
> I think this is what we should do:
>
> UNICODE => UTF8
> ALT => WIN866
> WIN => WIN1251
> TCVN => WIN1258

OK, but what about latin1?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

Date:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I think this is what we should do:
>>
>> UNICODE => UTF8
>> ALT => WIN866
>> WIN => WIN1251
>> TCVN => WIN1258

> OK, but what about latin1?

I think LATIN1 is fine as-is.  It's a reasonably popular name for the
character set, and despite Tatsuo's complaint, it's not going to confuse
anyone in practice --- the 7-bit version of that standard has no traction.
The reason UNICODE is a bad name for UTF8 is exactly that there are
multiple physical encodings of Unicode that are in common use.
        regards, tom lane

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Freitag, 25. Februar 2005 16:26 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> OK, but what about latin1?

The following character set names are specified in the SQL standard and
therefore somewhat non-negotiable:

SQL_CHARACTER
GRAPHIC_IRV
LATIN1
ISO8BIT
UTF16
UTF8
UCS2
SQL_TEXT
SQL_IDENTIFIER

So we have to use LATIN1, even though it creates an inconsistency.  We
discussed this a while ago during the last great renaming, I think.

Btw., I think ISO8BIT is the correct name for what we call SQL_ASCII, but I
haven't analyzed that in detail, yet.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: UTF8 or Unicode

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 25. Februar 2005 16:26 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > OK, but what about latin1?
>
> The following character set names are specified in the SQL standard and
> therefore somewhat non-negotiable:
>
> SQL_CHARACTER
> GRAPHIC_IRV
> LATIN1
> ISO8BIT
> UTF16
> UTF8
> UCS2
> SQL_TEXT
> SQL_IDENTIFIER
>
> So we have to use LATIN1, even though it creates an inconsistency.  We
> discussed this a while ago during the last great renaming, I think.

Oh, UTF8 and not UTF-8?  I thought UTF-8 was the standard name, but if
ANSI uses UTF8 we will have to use that.

> Btw., I think ISO8BIT is the correct name for what we call SQL_ASCII, but I
> haven't analyzed that in detail, yet.

OK, please let us know.

Pennsylvania19073