Re: UTF8 or Unicode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Abhijit Menon-Sen
Subject Re: UTF8 or Unicode
Date
Re: UTF8 or Unicode  (Agent M <agentm@themactionfaction.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
At 2005-02-14 21:14:54 -0500, pgman@candle.pha.pa.us wrote:

> Should our multi-byte encoding be referred to as UTF8 or Unicode?

The *encoding* should certainly be referred to as UTF-8. Unicode is a
character set, not an encoding; Unicode characters may be encoded with
UTF-8, among other things.

(One might think of a charset as being a set of integers representing
characters, and an encoding as specifying how those integers may be
converted to bytes.)

> I know UTF8 is a type of unicode but do we need to rename anything
> from Unicode to UTF8?

I don't know. I'll go through the documentation to see if I can find
anything that needs changing.

-- ams