Re: UTF8 or Unicode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: UTF8 or Unicode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Karel Zak wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 00:27 +1300, Oliver Jowett wrote:
>
>>Karel Zak wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, I think we should fix it and remove UNICODE and WIN encoding names
>>>from PG code.
>>
>>The JDBC driver asks for a UNICODE client encoding before it knows the
>>server version it is talking to. How do you avoid breaking this?
>
> Fix JDBC driver as soon as possible.

How, exactly? Ask for a 'utf8' client encoding instead of 'UNICODE'?
Will this work if the driver is connecting to an older server?

> Add to 8.1 release notes: encoding names 'UNICODE' and 'WIN' are
> deprecated and it will removed in next release. Please, use correct
> names "UTF-8" and "WIN1215".

8.0 appears to spell it 'utf8'.

Removing the existing aliases seems like a fairly gratuitous
incompatibility to introduce to me.

-O