How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Hi there,

we still have no r/w access to CVS, so I'm asking authoritative
developers to grab archive
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/tsearch-v2-stable.tar.gz
and submit it to CVS for 7.4 beta.

Please, completely remove old tsearch directory from contrib.
Regards,    Oleg

PS.

Marc, we hope to get an access to be able submit patches.

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> we still have no r/w access to CVS, so I'm asking authoritative
> developers to grab archive

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/tsearch-v2-stable.tar.gz
> and submit it to CVS for 7.4 beta.

Out of interest - is it completely backwards compatible?

Chris

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Marc, we hope to get an access to be able submit patches.

I sent back a note to Teodor earlier this evening letting him know that I
think I got the password issue fixed with CVS, but asked him to test and
get back to me ...

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > we still have no r/w access to CVS, so I'm asking authoritative
> > developers to grab archive
> >
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/tsearch-v2-stable.tar.gz
> > and submit it to CVS for 7.4 beta.
>
> Out of interest - is it completely backwards compatible?

unfortunately, no

> Chris

Regards,    Oleg

Date:
> > > we still have no r/w access to CVS, so I'm asking authoritative
> > > developers to grab archive

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/tsearch-v2-stable.tar.gz
> > > and submit it to CVS for 7.4 beta.
> >
> > Out of interest - is it completely backwards compatible?
>
> unfortunately, no

Then surely fully replacing tsearch will cause badness?

Chris

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:

> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/tsearch-v2-stable.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Out of interest - is it completely backwards compatible?
> >
> > unfortunately, no
>
> Then surely fully replacing tsearch will cause badness?

I see, so are you suggesting separate dir for tsearch v2 ?

> Chris

Regards,    Oleg

Date:

> > > unfortunately, no
> >
> > Then surely fully replacing tsearch will cause badness?
>
> I see, so are you suggesting separate dir for tsearch v2 ?

Well, we use tserach 1 extensively.  I want to be able to upgrade to 7.4 and
have nothing break!

If things will break, then you need to have a tsearch2 dir instead.

Chris

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Teodor Sigaev
Date:
I think with upgrade X.Y to X.Y+1 version of pgsql you need dump/restore all
databases, isn't it?

So, for upgrading tsearch to V2 you need to do following:
1 rename columns or typecast for type txtidx to tsvector,  query_txt to tsquery
2 rename function txt2txtidx to to_tsvector, ( may be to strip(to_tsvector()),  now tsvector has information for
ranking), trigger 'tsearch' isn't changed

3 operator class (in create index command) gist_txtidx_ops to gist_tsvector_ops
4 In queries: operator ## to @@ to_tsquery() and remove mquery_txt typecast
5 If your locale of pgsql differ from 'C', execute before first query  select set_curcfg('default');

That's all. So upgrade from v1 to v2 isn't difficult.

>>>Then surely fully replacing tsearch will cause badness?
>>
>>I see, so are you suggesting separate dir for tsearch v2 ?
>

> Well, we use tserach 1 extensively.  I want to be able to upgrade to 7.4 and
> have nothing break!
>
> If things will break, then you need to have a tsearch2 dir instead.
>
> Chris

Teodor Sigaev                                  E-mail: teodor@sigaev.ru

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Chris,

what if we write, that old tsearch (v1) is deprecated in 7.4 and will be
obsoleted in 7.5 and put tsearch-v1.tar.gz on our site.
Oleg

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Teodor Sigaev wrote:

> I think with upgrade X.Y to X.Y+1 version of pgsql you need dump/restore all
> databases, isn't it?
>
> So, for upgrading tsearch to V2 you need to do following:
> 1 rename columns or typecast for type txtidx to tsvector,  query_txt to tsquery
> 2 rename function txt2txtidx to to_tsvector, ( may be to strip(to_tsvector()),
>    now tsvector has information for ranking ), trigger 'tsearch' isn't changed
> 3 operator class (in create index command) gist_txtidx_ops to gist_tsvector_ops
> 4 In queries: operator ## to @@ to_tsquery() and remove mquery_txt typecast
> 5 If your locale of pgsql differ from 'C', execute before first query
>    select set_curcfg('default');
>
> That's all. So upgrade from v1 to v2 isn't difficult.

> >>I see, so are you suggesting separate dir for tsearch v2 ?
> >

> > Well, we use tserach 1 extensively.  I want to be able to upgrade to 7.4 and
> > have nothing break!
> >
> > If things will break, then you need to have a tsearch2 dir instead.
> >
> > Chris

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Regards,    Oleg

Date:
> So, for upgrading tsearch to V2 you need to do following:
> 1 rename columns or typecast for type txtidx to tsvector,  query_txt to tsquery
> 2 rename function txt2txtidx to to_tsvector, ( may be to strip(to_tsvector()),
>    now tsvector has information for ranking ), trigger 'tsearch' isn't changed
> 3 operator class (in create index command) gist_txtidx_ops to gist_tsvector_ops
> 4 In queries: operator ## to @@ to_tsquery() and remove mquery_txt typecast
> 5 If your locale of pgsql differ from 'C', execute before first query
>    select set_curcfg('default');
>
> That's all. So upgrade from v1 to v2 isn't difficult.

And you expect thousands of users to do this?  I don't know about that...

I can barely handle it myself, and I was looking forward to a Postgres
upgrade for a change where I didn't have to edit the dump :(

Chris

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Teodor Sigaev
Date:
Well, I doubt what is right way.

tsearch V2 use new names, new function new feature and hasn't compatibility with
old one.

1 tsearch2 and tsearch directory in contrib. tsearch marked as deprecated and
will be removed for 7.5
2 V2 places in contrib as tsearch, old tsearch will be at our site.

It seems to me that second way is correcter way. Two version of tsearch is
surplus...

What do people think about it?

--
Teodor Sigaev                                  E-mail: teodor@sigaev.ru

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Chris,

would be the right solution to make tsearch V2 to be fully incompatible
with old tsearch (so both version could live in one database) and
release tsearch v2 in separate directory. This way require some additional
work but would not confuse people. As a bonus, people could start playing
with new tsearch V2 very easy.

We need "the right wordings" in README.tsearch of old tsearch to
warn people that old tsearch is deprecated and will be obsoleted in the next
release of PostgreSQL.

Teodor, how it'd be difficult ?
Oleg

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Teodor Sigaev wrote:

> Well, I doubt what is right way.
>
> tsearch V2 use new names, new function new feature and hasn't compatibility with
> old one.
>
> 1 tsearch2 and tsearch directory in contrib. tsearch marked as deprecated and
> will be removed for 7.5
> 2 V2 places in contrib as tsearch, old tsearch will be at our site.
>

> It seems to me that second way is correcter way. Two version of tsearch is
> surplus...
>
> What do people think about it?
>

> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >>So, for upgrading tsearch to V2 you need to do following:
> >>1 rename columns or typecast for type txtidx to tsvector,  query_txt to tsquery
> >>2 rename function txt2txtidx to to_tsvector, ( may be to strip(to_tsvector()),
> >>   now tsvector has information for ranking ), trigger 'tsearch' isn't changed
> >>3 operator class (in create index command) gist_txtidx_ops to gist_tsvector_ops
> >>4 In queries: operator ## to @@ to_tsquery() and remove mquery_txt typecast
> >>5 If your locale of pgsql differ from 'C', execute before first query
> >>   select set_curcfg('default');
> >>
> >>That's all. So upgrade from v1 to v2 isn't difficult.
> >

> > And you expect thousands of users to do this?  I don't know about that...
> >
> > I can barely handle it myself, and I was looking forward to a Postgres
> > upgrade for a change where I didn't have to edit the dump :(
> >
> > Chris

Regards,    Oleg

Date:
> would be the right solution to make tsearch V2 to be fully incompatible
> with old tsearch (so both version could live in one database) and
> release tsearch v2 in separate directory. This way require some additional
> work but would not confuse people. As a bonus, people could start playing
> with new tsearch V2 very easy.

That seems like the best way.

I guess what we need to do is build it in to Postgres at some point, so
people won't have these problems...

Chris

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > would be the right solution to make tsearch V2 to be fully incompatible
> > with old tsearch (so both version could live in one database) and
> > release tsearch v2 in separate directory. This way require some additional
> > work but would not confuse people. As a bonus, people could start playing
> > with new tsearch V2 very easy.
>
> That seems like the best way.

Chris,

please download and test new version of tsearch2 module (note, '2' )
from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/
It should be now fully incompatible with old tsearch module.
I've checked only functionality, because I have no old tsearch installation.
So, please,  check if the new version will not clashes with old tsearch.

> I guess what we need to do is build it in to Postgres at some point, so
> people won't have these problems...

Oh, yes. But we have to find out how to write more flexible parser which
should be locale aware and have unicode support. Also, we need more
flexible parser<->dictionary interaction. A lot of things to think :)

> Chris

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

Date:
I am inclinded to replace /contrib/tsearch with the new version, V2, and
tell people who want to keep the old version to just use the 7.3.X
sources in 7.4.

If we ship both versions in 7.4, we then have to rename tsearch2 to
tsearch in 7.5, and that is pretty confusing.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > > would be the right solution to make tsearch V2 to be fully incompatible
> > > with old tsearch (so both version could live in one database) and
> > > release tsearch v2 in separate directory. This way require some additional
> > > work but would not confuse people. As a bonus, people could start playing
> > > with new tsearch V2 very easy.
> >
> > That seems like the best way.
> >

> Chris,
>
> please download and test new version of tsearch2 module (note, '2' )
> from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/
> It should be now fully incompatible with old tsearch module.
> I've checked only functionality, because I have no old tsearch installation.
> So, please,  check if the new version will not clashes with old tsearch.
>
> > I guess what we need to do is build it in to Postgres at some point, so
> > people won't have these problems...
>
> Oh, yes. But we have to find out how to write more flexible parser which
> should be locale aware and have unicode support. Also, we need more
> flexible parser<->dictionary interaction. A lot of things to think :)
>

> > Chris
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Pennsylvania19073

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

Date:

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > > would be the right solution to make tsearch V2 to be fully incompatible
> > > with old tsearch (so both version could live in one database) and
> > > release tsearch v2 in separate directory. This way require some additional
> > > work but would not confuse people. As a bonus, people could start playing
> > > with new tsearch V2 very easy.
> >
> > That seems like the best way.
> >

> Chris,
>
> please download and test new version of tsearch2 module (note, '2' )
> from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/
> It should be now fully incompatible with old tsearch module.
> I've checked only functionality, because I have no old tsearch installation.
> So, please,  check if the new version will not clashes with old tsearch.
>
> > I guess what we need to do is build it in to Postgres at some point, so
> > people won't have these problems...
>
> Oh, yes. But we have to find out how to write more flexible parser which
> should be locale aware and have unicode support. Also, we need more
> flexible parser<->dictionary interaction. A lot of things to think :)
>

> > Chris
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Pennsylvania19073

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Larry Rosenman

--On Sunday, July 20, 2003 14:18:05 -0400 Bruce Momjian
<pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> I am inclinded to replace /contrib/tsearch with the new version, V2, and
> tell people who want to keep the old version to just use the 7.3.X
> sources in 7.4.
I disagree here.  There is a MIGRATION necessary, and people using
packaging systems
like FreeBSD Ports may not have the ability to use the 7.3.x tarball to get
it right.

> If we ship both versions in 7.4, we then have to rename tsearch2 to
> tsearch in 7.5, and that is pretty confusing.
No, you keep it named tsearch2 forever, and drop tsearch at some future
time.

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Bruce,

we've already found a solution - the same as Larry wrote.
tsearch v1 is deprecated in 7.4 and obsoleted in 7.5
(I think this should be written in Changes or History).
Anyway, I hope we'll integrate tsearch2 into core and
tsearch2 will dissapeared :)

btw, we've got CVS access, so we'll submit tsearch2.
Oleg
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> --On Sunday, July 20, 2003 14:18:05 -0400 Bruce Momjian
> <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>

> > I am inclinded to replace /contrib/tsearch with the new version, V2, and
> > tell people who want to keep the old version to just use the 7.3.X
> > sources in 7.4.
> I disagree here.  There is a MIGRATION necessary, and people using
> packaging systems
> like FreeBSD Ports may not have the ability to use the 7.3.x tarball to get
> it right.
>

> > If we ship both versions in 7.4, we then have to rename tsearch2 to
> > tsearch in 7.5, and that is pretty confusing.
> No, you keep it named tsearch2 forever, and drop tsearch at some future
> time.

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

Date:
Oh, OK, great.  You should probably move tsearch/ to tsearch1/.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> we've already found a solution - the same as Larry wrote.
> tsearch v1 is deprecated in 7.4 and obsoleted in 7.5
> (I think this should be written in Changes or History).
> Anyway, I hope we'll integrate tsearch2 into core and
> tsearch2 will dissapeared :)
>
> btw, we've got CVS access, so we'll submit tsearch2.
>
>     Oleg
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>

> > --On Sunday, July 20, 2003 14:18:05 -0400 Bruce Momjian
> > <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> >

> > > I am inclinded to replace /contrib/tsearch with the new version, V2, and
> > > tell people who want to keep the old version to just use the 7.3.X
> > > sources in 7.4.
> > I disagree here.  There is a MIGRATION necessary, and people using
> > packaging systems
> > like FreeBSD Ports may not have the ability to use the 7.3.x tarball to get
> > it right.
> >

> > > If we ship both versions in 7.4, we then have to rename tsearch2 to
> > > tsearch in 7.5, and that is pretty confusing.
> > No, you keep it named tsearch2 forever, and drop tsearch at some future
> > time.
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Pennsylvania19073

Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?

Date:
Patch removed from queue --- Oleg will apply.