Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I am inclinded to replace /contrib/tsearch with the new version, V2, and
tell people who want to keep the old version to just use the 7.3.X
sources in 7.4.

If we ship both versions in 7.4, we then have to rename tsearch2 to
tsearch in 7.5, and that is pretty confusing.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > > would be the right solution to make tsearch V2 to be fully incompatible
> > > with old tsearch (so both version could live in one database) and
> > > release tsearch v2 in separate directory. This way require some additional
> > > work but would not confuse people. As a bonus, people could start playing
> > > with new tsearch V2 very easy.
> >
> > That seems like the best way.
> >

> Chris,
>
> please download and test new version of tsearch2 module (note, '2' )
> from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/
> It should be now fully incompatible with old tsearch module.
> I've checked only functionality, because I have no old tsearch installation.
> So, please,  check if the new version will not clashes with old tsearch.
>
> > I guess what we need to do is build it in to Postgres at some point, so
> > people won't have these problems...
>
> Oh, yes. But we have to find out how to write more flexible parser which
> should be locale aware and have unicode support. Also, we need more
> flexible parser<->dictionary interaction. A lot of things to think :)
>

> > Chris
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Pennsylvania19073