Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: How to submit Tsearch V2 ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chris,

would be the right solution to make tsearch V2 to be fully incompatible
with old tsearch (so both version could live in one database) and
release tsearch v2 in separate directory. This way require some additional
work but would not confuse people. As a bonus, people could start playing
with new tsearch V2 very easy.

We need "the right wordings" in README.tsearch of old tsearch to
warn people that old tsearch is deprecated and will be obsoleted in the next
release of PostgreSQL.

Teodor, how it'd be difficult ?
Oleg

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Teodor Sigaev wrote:

> Well, I doubt what is right way.
>
> tsearch V2 use new names, new function new feature and hasn't compatibility with
> old one.
>
> 1 tsearch2 and tsearch directory in contrib. tsearch marked as deprecated and
> will be removed for 7.5
> 2 V2 places in contrib as tsearch, old tsearch will be at our site.
>

> It seems to me that second way is correcter way. Two version of tsearch is
> surplus...
>
> What do people think about it?
>

> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >>So, for upgrading tsearch to V2 you need to do following:
> >>1 rename columns or typecast for type txtidx to tsvector,  query_txt to tsquery
> >>2 rename function txt2txtidx to to_tsvector, ( may be to strip(to_tsvector()),
> >>   now tsvector has information for ranking ), trigger 'tsearch' isn't changed
> >>3 operator class (in create index command) gist_txtidx_ops to gist_tsvector_ops
> >>4 In queries: operator ## to @@ to_tsquery() and remove mquery_txt typecast
> >>5 If your locale of pgsql differ from 'C', execute before first query
> >>   select set_curcfg('default');
> >>
> >>That's all. So upgrade from v1 to v2 isn't difficult.
> >

> > And you expect thousands of users to do this?  I don't know about that...
> >
> > I can barely handle it myself, and I was looking forward to a Postgres
> > upgrade for a change where I didn't have to edit the dump :(
> >
> > Chris

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83