contrib/earthdistance missing regression test files

From
Joe Conway
Date:
The Makefile for contrib/earthdistance indicates that there should be a
regression test, but the files seem to be missing from CVS. The change to the
Makefile was made here:

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/contrib/earthdistance/Makefile.diff?r1=1.11&r2=1.12

Was the Makefile change a mistake, or are there files missing?

Joe

Re: contrib/earthdistance missing regression test files

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 10:43:51 -0700, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
> The Makefile for contrib/earthdistance indicates that there should be a
> regression test, but the files seem to be missing from CVS. The change to
> the
> Makefile was made here:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/contrib/earthdistance/Makefile.diff?r1=1.11&r2=1.12
>
> Was the Makefile change a mistake, or are there files missing?

There is supposed to be a regression test. I may have forgotten to use
-N or -r on the diff. If it is confirmed that the files needed for the
regression test didn't make it into the submitted diff file, I can send
in a diff versus current cvs.

Date:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 15:02:20 -0500, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> There is supposed to be a regression test. I may have forgotten to use
> -N or -r on the diff. If it is confirmed that the files needed for the
> regression test didn't make it into the submitted diff file, I can send
> in a diff versus current cvs.

I still have a copy of the diff file (at least I think it is the one I
sent in) and it has the regression sql and output files defined.

Re: contrib/earthdistance missing regression test files

Date:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 15:02:20 -0500,
>   Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> >
> > There is supposed to be a regression test. I may have forgotten to use
> > -N or -r on the diff. If it is confirmed that the files needed for the
> > regression test didn't make it into the submitted diff file, I can send
> > in a diff versus current cvs.
>
> I still have a copy of the diff file (at least I think it is the one I
> sent in) and it has the regression sql and output files defined.

Yep, I missed adding earthdistance.out.  Is that the only file.

I usually do a 'gmake distclean' and 'cvs update' after a batch of
patches to see that there aren't any new files in my CVS tree.  I missed
it this time.

Does that fix the problem?

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 16:10:19 -0400, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 15:02:20 -0500,
> >   Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> > >
> > > There is supposed to be a regression test. I may have forgotten to use
> > > -N or -r on the diff. If it is confirmed that the files needed for the
> > > regression test didn't make it into the submitted diff file, I can send
> > > in a diff versus current cvs.
> >
> > I still have a copy of the diff file (at least I think it is the one I
> > sent in) and it has the regression sql and output files defined.
>
> Yep, I missed adding earthdistance.out.  Is that the only file.

No. The new files are:
expected/earthdistance.out (which you metion above)
sql/earthdistance.sql

Re: contrib/earthdistance missing regression test files

Date:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 16:10:19 -0400,
>   Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > > I still have a copy of the diff file (at least I think it is the one I
> > > sent in) and it has the regression sql and output files defined.
> >
> > Yep, I missed adding earthdistance.out.  Is that the only file.
>
> No. The new files are:
> expected/earthdistance.out (which you metion above)
> sql/earthdistance.sql

OK, here's what I see now in CVS:
#$ pwd/pgtop/contrib/earthdistance#$ lfCVS/                    README.earthdistance    earthdistance.outMakefile
       earthdistance.c         earthdistance.sql.in

What should be changed?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: contrib/earthdistance missing regression test files

Date:
>> No. The new files are:
>> expected/earthdistance.out (which you metion above)
>> sql/earthdistance.sql

> OK, here's what I see now in CVS:

>     #$ pwd
>     /pgtop/contrib/earthdistance
>     #$ lf
>     CVS/                    README.earthdistance    earthdistance.out
>     Makefile                earthdistance.c         earthdistance.sql.in

> What should be changed?

The earthdistance.out file should be in an expected/ subdirectory, not
directly in the contrib/earthdistance directory.  Also, there is a
missing regression input script file earthdistance.sql (this is not
related to earthdistance.sql.in), which should be in a sql/
subdirectory.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> No. The new files are:
> >> expected/earthdistance.out (which you metion above)
> >> sql/earthdistance.sql
>
> > OK, here's what I see now in CVS:
>
> >     #$ pwd
> >     /pgtop/contrib/earthdistance
> >     #$ lf
> >     CVS/                    README.earthdistance    earthdistance.out
> >     Makefile                earthdistance.c         earthdistance.sql.in
>
> > What should be changed?
>
> The earthdistance.out file should be in an expected/ subdirectory, not
> directly in the contrib/earthdistance directory.  Also, there is a
> missing regression input script file earthdistance.sql (this is not
> related to earthdistance.sql.in), which should be in a sql/
> subdirectory.

OK, done.  I thought the earthdistance.sql file was derived from
earthdistance.sql.in, and I thought the out was just a test file.  I got
them fixed now, in their proper directory.  How do I run the regression
tests for /contrib stuff?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: contrib/earthdistance missing regression test files

Date:
> How do I run the regression tests for /contrib stuff?

make
make install
make installcheck

AFAICT, earthdistance is nowhere near passing yet :-(.  It looks to
me like the regression test is depending on the cube-based features
that we decided to hold off for 7.4.  Bruno, is that right?
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 23:57:29 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > How do I run the regression tests for /contrib stuff?
>
> make
> make install
> make installcheck
>
> AFAICT, earthdistance is nowhere near passing yet :-(.  It looks to
> me like the regression test is depending on the cube-based features
> that we decided to hold off for 7.4.  Bruno, is that right?

It shouldn't be. When I resubmitted the patch I intended to take out
all of the cube related tests. If there is a reference to cube in there
it is by mistake.

Date:
> > AFAICT, earthdistance is nowhere near passing yet :-(.  It looks to
> > me like the regression test is depending on the cube-based features
> > that we decided to hold off for 7.4.  Bruno, is that right?
>
> It shouldn't be. When I resubmitted the patch I intended to take out
> all of the cube related tests. If there is a reference to cube in there
> it is by mistake.

I took a look at the diff file I submitted and the only reference to
cube in the regression test was in a comment I didn't change after
removing the tests for the cube based distance stuff.

Re: contrib/earthdistance missing regression test files

Date:
OK, I reinstalled the proper earthdistance.out/sql files and it passes
regession now.  Sorry for the mistake.

Date:
> OK, I reinstalled the proper earthdistance.out/sql files and it passes
> regession now.  Sorry for the mistake.

Looks good here too.  Thanks.
        regards, tom lane