Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

Date:
Can someone comment on this?  I can't decide.

Andreas Scherbaum wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have written a module for logging changes on a table (without knowing
> the exact column names).
> Dont know where to put it, but its ready for use in the contrib directory.
>
> Its available at: http://ads.ufp.de/projects/Pg/table_log.tar.gz (3k)
>
> Would be nice, if this can be added.
>

> Best regards
>
> --
>                 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.
>  (Ferenc Mantfeld)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Bruce,

Haven't looked at the code, but there's no license with it.

Andreas, are you cool with having the same License as PostgreSQL for it
(BSD license)?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Can someone comment on this?  I can't decide.

> Andreas Scherbaum wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > i have written a module for logging changes on a table (without knowing
> > the exact column names).
> > Dont know where to put it, but its ready for use in the contrib directory.
> >
> > Its available at: http://ads.ufp.de/projects/Pg/table_log.tar.gz (3k)
> >
> > Would be nice, if this can be added.
> >

> > Best regards
> >
> > --
> >                               Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> > Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.
> >  (Ferenc Mantfeld)

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

From
Andreas Scherbaum
Date:
Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> Haven't looked at the code, but there's no license with it.
>
> Andreas, are you cool with having the same License as PostgreSQL for it
> (BSD license)?
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Can someone comment on this?  I can't decide.

> > Andreas Scherbaum wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > i have written a module for logging changes on a table (without knowing
> > > the exact column names).
> > > Dont know where to put it, but its ready for use in the contrib directory.
> > >
> > > Its available at: http://ads.ufp.de/projects/Pg/table_log.tar.gz (3k)
> > >
> > > Would be nice, if this can be added.
> > >

> > > Best regards

Hello,

uhm, good point. I thought i missed something ;-)

This software is distributed under the GNU General Public License
either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.

I have updated the readme and replaced the archive with a new version.

Thanks and best regards

--                                  Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Bruce,

Did we reach an opinion as to whether we'll include GPL'd code?

My vote is to not include this code, as it just muddies the water with
PostgreSQL being BSD based.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Date:
Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> Did we reach an opinion as to whether we'll include GPL'd code?
>
> My vote is to not include this code, as it just muddies the water with
> PostgreSQL being BSD based.
>
> :-)

Hmm, there's enough GPL'ed stuff in contrib/ ;-)

--                                  Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

Date:
Andreas Scherbaum <adsmail@htl.de> writes:
> Justin Clift wrote:
>> Did we reach an opinion as to whether we'll include GPL'd code?
>>
>> My vote is to not include this code, as it just muddies the water with
>> PostgreSQL being BSD based.

> Hmm, there's enough GPL'ed stuff in contrib/ ;-)

Indeed, the core committee recently agreed that we should try to ensure
that the whole distribution is under the same BSD license.  I have a
TODO item to contact the authors of the existing GPL'd contrib modules,
and if possible get them to agree to relicense.  If not, those modules
will be removed from contrib.

There are other possible homes for contrib modules whose authors
strongly prefer GPL.  For example, Red Hat's add-ons for Postgres will
be GPL (per corporate policy), and I expect that they'd be willing to
host contrib modules.  But the core distribution will be straight BSD
to avoid license confusion.
        regards, tom lane

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

Date:
Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Did we reach an opinion as to whether we'll include GPL'd code?
>
> My vote is to not include this code, as it just muddies the water with
> PostgreSQL being BSD based.

Yes, our current policy is to add GPL to /contrib only when we have
little choice and the module is important.  I am not sure if the module
is even appropriate for /contrib.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

From
Alexandre Dulaunoy
first comment :

* a special directory with ./contrib/gpl ?

second comment :

* I don't really understand your position regarding the GNU General Public  License. The GPL is offering multiple
advantagesfor a big project and  software like PostgreSQL. For example :

* Contribution back to the main tree more easy if redistribution.          (like HP and Samba team are doing, copyright
holderremains samba team)

* More easy to get a RF (Royalty Free) license from a patent          owner. (this is guarantee for him that it will
notgo back to           proprietary software where it's not a RF license) (like the          UB-Trees)

* A possible bigger audience.

Dual licensing is also an alternative but could be a real mess.

It's just idea.

alx

Alexandre Dulaunoy            adulau@conostix.com                http://www.conostix.com/

Tom Lane wrote:

> Andreas Scherbaum <adsmail@htl.de> writes:
> > Justin Clift wrote:
> >> Did we reach an opinion as to whether we'll include GPL'd code?
> >>
> >> My vote is to not include this code, as it just muddies the water with
> >> PostgreSQL being BSD based.
>
> > Hmm, there's enough GPL'ed stuff in contrib/ ;-)
>
> Indeed, the core committee recently agreed that we should try to ensure
> that the whole distribution is under the same BSD license.  I have a
> TODO item to contact the authors of the existing GPL'd contrib modules,
> and if possible get them to agree to relicense.  If not, those modules
> will be removed from contrib.
>
> There are other possible homes for contrib modules whose authors
> strongly prefer GPL.  For example, Red Hat's add-ons for Postgres will
> be GPL (per corporate policy), and I expect that they'd be willing to
> host contrib modules.  But the core distribution will be straight BSD
> to avoid license confusion.

I have to excuse myself, because i think, i did a mistake.
Yes, my first intention was to make it GPL, but i do not stick to it.

On the other hand, i copied some parts from contrib/noupdate (there'e no
licence in the readme) and now i think, this is contributed under BSD
licence.
I'm sure or i'm wrong? I think, i have to change the licence.
Who is the author of the noupdate module and can anybody tell me,
whats in this case the right (or left) license?

Best regards

--                                  Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

Date:
Andreas Scherbaum <adsmail@htl.de> writes:
> On the other hand, i copied some parts from contrib/noupdate (there'e no
> licence in the readme) and now i think, this is contributed under BSD
> licence.
> I'm sure or i'm wrong? I think, i have to change the licence.
> Who is the author of the noupdate module and can anybody tell me,
> whats in this case the right (or left) license?

Since it was contributed to become part of the Postgres distribution,
we assume the author's intent was to license it under the Postgres
distribution license --- ie, BSD.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

> Andreas Scherbaum <adsmail@htl.de> writes:
> > On the other hand, i copied some parts from contrib/noupdate (there'e no
> > licence in the readme) and now i think, this is contributed under BSD
> > licence.
> > I'm sure or i'm wrong? I think, i have to change the licence.
> > Who is the author of the noupdate module and can anybody tell me,
> > whats in this case the right (or left) license?
>
> Since it was contributed to become part of the Postgres distribution,
> we assume the author's intent was to license it under the Postgres
> distribution license --- ie, BSD.

Ok, i have changed the license part in the readme to PostgreSQL (BSD)
license
and published a new archive.

http://ads.ufp.de/projects/Pg/table_log.tar.gz

Hope, this cleans some open questions.

Best regards

--                                  Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

Date:
Andreas Scherbaum wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Andreas Scherbaum <adsmail@htl.de> writes:
> > > On the other hand, i copied some parts from contrib/noupdate (there'e no
> > > licence in the readme) and now i think, this is contributed under BSD
> > > licence.
> > > I'm sure or i'm wrong? I think, i have to change the licence.
> > > Who is the author of the noupdate module and can anybody tell me,
> > > whats in this case the right (or left) license?
> >
> > Since it was contributed to become part of the Postgres distribution,
> > we assume the author's intent was to license it under the Postgres
> > distribution license --- ie, BSD.
>
> Ok, i have changed the license part in the readme to PostgreSQL (BSD)
> license
> and published a new archive.
>
> http://ads.ufp.de/projects/Pg/table_log.tar.gz

OK, now that the license issue is cleared up, I need someone to
comment on its appropriateness for /contrib.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

From
Andreas Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

there's a new archive available with a bugfix for handling null values.
Thanks to Steve Head for reporting this.

http://ads.ufp.de/projects/Pg/

Regards

--                                  Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum