Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
"Robert E. Bruccoleri"
Date:
Dear Tom,
The evidence is from the Process Activity Recorder, an Irix utility
similar to strace the reports syscall usage. A number of semop's are performed
in the operation of backend. Luis can send you specifics. --Bob

Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro writes:

> [...]

+-----------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc@acm.org                |
| P.O. Box 314                | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534        |                                    |
+-----------------------------+------------------------------------+

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
"Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro"
Date:
Hi all
There is no doubt, in fact it uses test_and _set, but it is still doing a
lot of semops, I send u and extract from another execution, it is 6 streams
of read-only queries+a stream of inserts and deletes(with 5 sec between each
stream)+a stream of vacuum on modified tables each 10 secs.
Thanks and regards

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
"Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro"
Hi all:
again on performance, here is an extract from an 8 read-only queries, notice
that total time is 179s and it is expending about 80secs only in semaphores
Isn't there any other way to improve ipc-locks?
thanks and regards.

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
Igor Kovalenko
Date:
Makes me wonder... perhaps now someone will be convinced to take a look
at the POSIX IPC patch. On some platforms (not on Linux I am afraid)
POSIX mutexes might be quite a bit faster than SYSV semaphores.

Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro wrote:

> Hi all:
> again on performance, here is an extract from an 8 read-only queries, notice
> that total time is 179s and it is expending about 80secs only in semaphores
> Isn't there any other way to improve ipc-locks?
> thanks and regards.

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
"Robert E. Bruccoleri"
Date:
Dear Igor,

Igor Kovalenko writes:

> Makes me wonder... perhaps now someone will be convinced to take a look
> at the POSIX IPC patch. On some platforms (not on Linux I am afraid)
> POSIX mutexes might be quite a bit faster than SYSV semaphores.

Yes, but on the SGI platform, the MIPS test_and_set instructions are
really fast and should be used.

+-----------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc@acm.org                |
| P.O. Box 314                | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534        |                                    |
+-----------------------------+------------------------------------+

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
Igor Kovalenko
Date:
I am confused to hell. I always thought MIPS does NOT have TAS
instruction ;)

"Robert E. Bruccoleri" wrote:

> Dear Igor,
>
> Igor Kovalenko writes:
>
> > Makes me wonder... perhaps now someone will be convinced to take a look
> > at the POSIX IPC patch. On some platforms (not on Linux I am afraid)
> > POSIX mutexes might be quite a bit faster than SYSV semaphores.
>
> Yes, but on the SGI platform, the MIPS test_and_set instructions are
> really fast and should be used.
>
> +-----------------------------+------------------------------------+
> | Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc@acm.org                |
> | P.O. Box 314                | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
> | Pennington, NJ 08534        |                                    |
> +-----------------------------+------------------------------------+

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
"Robert E. Bruccoleri"
Date:
Dear Igor,

> I am confused to hell. I always thought MIPS does NOT have TAS
> instruction ;)

On the SGI platform, there are very high speed implementations of test
and set which allow large number of processes to safely and quickly
access shared memory. SGI has a hardware team that specifies MIPS
processor variants that are used in their servers so the machines can
scale.

I've tried to get SGI interested in putting some internal engineering
effort to improve PostgreSQL performance on operations which could
benefit from its shared memory parallel architecture (like index
creation and sorting), but without success.

+-----------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc@acm.org                |
| P.O. Box 314                | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534        |                                    |
+-----------------------------+------------------------------------+

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
Igor Kovalenko
Date:
Okay. Anyway, the semaphores are apparently used for purposes other than
TAS. That can be made faster too, on platforms which support POSIX
mutexes (shared between processes).

"Robert E. Bruccoleri" wrote:

> Dear Igor,
>
> > I am confused to hell. I always thought MIPS does NOT have TAS
> > instruction ;)
>
> On the SGI platform, there are very high speed implementations of test
> and set which allow large number of processes to safely and quickly
> access shared memory. SGI has a hardware team that specifies MIPS
> processor variants that are used in their servers so the machines can
> scale.
>
> I've tried to get SGI interested in putting some internal engineering
> effort to improve PostgreSQL performance on operations which could
> benefit from its shared memory parallel architecture (like index
> creation and sorting), but without success.
>
> +-----------------------------+------------------------------------+
> | Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc@acm.org                |
> | P.O. Box 314                | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
> | Pennington, NJ 08534        |                                    |
> +-----------------------------+------------------------------------+

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
"Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro"

> Makes me wonder... perhaps now someone will be convinced to take a look
> at the POSIX IPC patch. On some platforms (not on Linux I am afraid)
> POSIX mutexes might be quite a bit faster than SYSV semaphores.

Is there any current patch?
Regards

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
"Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro"
Date:
I've done some meditions with timex, it uses sar(System activity register)
to take workloads, it's not very relliable, but it allow us to see how it is
been doing,  it has been taken during an execution of a like tpc-h
benchmark, it performs inserts, deletes(about 5% of the time of the
execution) and a set of 8 continous streams of 22 read only queries, notice
that it only gives idle time (not the cause of idle), notice semafores/sec
is up to 2700!!!!!!!
Regards
12:27:08  %usr  %sys %intr  %wio %idle %sbrk  %wfs %wswp %wphy %wgsw %wfif
12:55:39    32     3         0         9    56         0       100     0
0     0     0                                    9% waiting for I/O which is
100% file system

12:27:08     device %busy  avque  r+w/s  blks/s    w/s wblks/s  avwait
avserv
12:55:39     dks0d5     0    0.0    0.0       0    0.0       0     0.0
0.0                dks1d1     1    3.1    0.7      19    0.7      16    27.8
15.0                dks1d2     0    1.0    0.0       0    0.0       0     0.0
13.3                dks1d3     0    0.0    0.0       0    0.0       0     0.0
0.0                dks1d4    23   15.3    9.1    1705    7.8    1553   519.7
24.8

12:27:08 bread/s lread/s %rcach bwrit/s lwrit/s wcncl/s %wcach pread/s
pwrit/s
12:55:39     158    2372     93    1549    9072       1     83       0
0                    93% of read cache hits and 83% of write chache hits

12:27:08     scall/s sread/s swrit/s  fork/s  exec/s rchar/s wchar/s
12:55:39    4618     181     126    0.18    0.06  648854  580354
syscalls averages

12:27:08   msg/s  sema/s
12:55:39    0.00 2704.28

12:27:08  vflt/s         dfill/s cache/s pgswp/s pgfil/s  pflt/s  cpyw/s
steal/s rclm/s        notice that there aren't page swaps, so idle is not
waiting for paging
12:55:39  862.58   58.31  804.24    0.00    0.04    5.70    3.11   60.90
0.00

12:27:08    CPU  %usr  %sys %intr %wio %idle %sbrk  %wfs %wswp %wphy %wgsw
%wfif
12:55:39     0        25     3     0     8    63     0   100     0     0
0     0                                                  per  CPU usage                 1        25     3     0     9
62     0   100     0

0     0     0                2        24     3     0     9    64     0   100     0     0
0     0                3        30     3     0     8    59     0   100     0     0
0     0                4        30     3     0     8    59     0   100     0     0
0     0                5        39     3     0     8    50     0   100     0     0
0     0                6        54     3     0     8    34     0   100     0     0
0     0                7        33     3     0     8    55     0   100     0     0
0     0

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
Igor Kovalenko
Date:
No, I've been told it is not gonna be considered for 7.2x and I shall
wait till 7.3.

Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro wrote:

> > Makes me wonder... perhaps now someone will be convinced to take a look
> > at the POSIX IPC patch. On some platforms (not on Linux I am afraid)
> > POSIX mutexes might be quite a bit faster than SYSV semaphores.
> >
> Is there any current patch?
> Regards

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
Luis Amigo
Date:
Igor Kovalenko wrote:

> No, I've been told it is not gonna be considered for 7.2x and I shall
> wait till 7.3.
>
> Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro wrote:
> >
> > > Makes me wonder... perhaps now someone will be convinced to take a look
> > > at the POSIX IPC patch. On some platforms (not on Linux I am afraid)
> > > POSIX mutexes might be quite a bit faster than SYSV semaphores.
> > >
> > Is there any current patch?
> > Regards

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

I've been thinking, and I think it maybe possible that tuning kernel
parameters could help, I'll keep you informed
Thanks and regards

Attachment

Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
Just remember that patches for 7.3 are being accepted at this very moment...

Chris

Greg Copeland
Date:
On a side note, I thought I would mention that the Next Generation POSIX
Threading (NGPT) Project (IBM --
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/pthreads) patches have
just been accepted to the 2.5.x Linux kernel.  A 2.4.x patch is also
available.  So, it may be possible that POSIX mutexes may be a
performance reality for Linux sometime in the near future...

Greg

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 19:59, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Just remember that patches for 7.3 are being accepted at this very moment...
>
> Chris

Date:
Does that mean I should redo patch for 7.3 as is, or you guys want it to
go farther this time? The last version had compromises intended to make
changes minimal...

Also, does anyone from Darwin or BeOS camp care? You guys should not be
working through emulation of SysV ugliness. If someone is listening, we
could come up with a version suitable for you too...

-- igor

Date:
Igor Kovalenko wrote:
> Does that mean I should redo patch for 7.3 as is, or you guys want it to
> go farther this time? The last version had compromises intended to make
> changes minimal...
>
> Also, does anyone from Darwin or BeOS camp care? You guys should not be
> working through emulation of SysV ugliness. If someone is listening, we
> could come up with a version suitable for you too...

Yes, we should get started.  I think the idea is to have two patches,
one for QNX6 and another to support Posix capabilities.  The changes
don't have to be minimal anymore.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026