Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert E. Bruccoleri
Subject Re: Fw: Fw: bad performance on irix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Igor,

> I am confused to hell. I always thought MIPS does NOT have TAS
> instruction ;)

On the SGI platform, there are very high speed implementations of test
and set which allow large number of processes to safely and quickly
access shared memory. SGI has a hardware team that specifies MIPS
processor variants that are used in their servers so the machines can
scale.

I've tried to get SGI interested in putting some internal engineering
effort to improve PostgreSQL performance on operations which could
benefit from its shared memory parallel architecture (like index
creation and sorting), but without success.

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc@acm.org                |
| P.O. Box 314                | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534        |                                    |