PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
I was thinking and it seems that by the next release of Postgres we might
have:

* Schemas
* Domains
* Maybe a new on-the-wire protocol
* ...and maybe prepared statement support to go along with??

Doesn't this seem like postgresql 8.0, rather than 7.3?

Chris

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

Date:
> Doesn't this seem like postgresql 8.0, rather than 7.3?

It took us five years to go from 6.0 to 7.0 ... I don't think we
need talk about 8.0 for awhile yet.

I'm not in favor of arbitrary "release number inflation".  A release
is a release, whatever you call it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Colin Faber
Date:
Personally, I have to agree with Tom,

Silly versioning like that is for marketing teams and microsoft ;-)

<sarcasm>How about the next version be released as PostgreSQL
XP</sarcasm>

Tom Lane wrote:

> "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > Doesn't this seem like postgresql 8.0, rather than 7.3?
>
> It took us five years to go from 6.0 to 7.0 ... I don't think we
> need talk about 8.0 for awhile yet.
>
> I'm not in favor of arbitrary "release number inflation".  A release
> is a release, whatever you call it.

Colin Faber
(303) 859-1491
fpsn.net, Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Heh Heh Heh

Well, if we can get a *really good operating version of PostgreSQL in
Cygwin* happening on XP, why not?

;-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Colin Faber wrote:

> Personally, I have to agree with Tom,
>
> Silly versioning like that is for marketing teams and microsoft ;-)
>
> <sarcasm>How about the next version be released as PostgreSQL
> XP</sarcasm>
>
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > > Doesn't this seem like postgresql 8.0, rather than 7.3?
> >
> > It took us five years to go from 6.0 to 7.0 ... I don't think we
> > need talk about 8.0 for awhile yet.
> >
> > I'm not in favor of arbitrary "release number inflation".  A release
> > is a release, whatever you call it.
> >
> >                         regards, tom lane

> Colin Faber
> (303) 859-1491
> fpsn.net, Inc.

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
On a slightly related note, and just as whimsical nature...

I've often wondered now many people actual say the name 'PostgreSQL',
I mean it flows off the tongue so easily! Whereas 'Postgres' is 100
times simpler...

Lee.

Colin Faber writes:> Personally, I have to agree with Tom,> > Silly versioning like that is for marketing teams and
microsoft;-)> > <sarcasm>How about the next version be released as PostgreSQL> XP</sarcasm>> > Tom Lane wrote:> > > >
"ChristopherKings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:> > > Doesn't this seem like postgresql 8.0, rather than
7.3?>> > > It took us five years to go from 6.0 to 7.0 ... I don't think we> > need talk about 8.0 for awhile yet.> > >
>I'm not in favor of arbitrary "release number inflation".  A release> > is a release, whatever you call it.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
"Dominic J. Eidson"
Date:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Lee Kindness wrote:

> On a slightly related note, and just as whimsical nature...
>
> I've often wondered now many people actual say the name 'PostgreSQL',
> I mean it flows off the tongue so easily! Whereas 'Postgres' is 100
> times simpler...

As much as I get really bored when this comes up time after time..

"post-gre-sql"

(And no, SQL's not pronounced sequel)

--
Dominic J. Eidson                                       "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Dominic J. Eidson wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Lee Kindness wrote:
>
> > On a slightly related note, and just as whimsical nature...
> >
> > I've often wondered now many people actual say the name 'PostgreSQL',
> > I mean it flows off the tongue so easily! Whereas 'Postgres' is 100
> > times simpler...
>
> As much as I get really bored when this comes up time after time..
>
> "post-gre-sql"
>
> (And no, SQL's not pronounced sequel)

The proper pronunciation is on the PostgreSQL home page in mp3 and
wav formats.  The above implies that the second sylable is pronounced
with a long e which is incorrect.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
"Dominic J. Eidson"
Date:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Dominic J. Eidson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Lee Kindness wrote:
> >
> > > On a slightly related note, and just as whimsical nature...
> > >
> > > I've often wondered now many people actual say the name 'PostgreSQL',
> > > I mean it flows off the tongue so easily! Whereas 'Postgres' is 100
> > > times simpler...
> >
> > As much as I get really bored when this comes up time after time..
> >
> > "post-gre-sql"
> >
> > (And no, SQL's not pronounced sequel)
>
> The proper pronunciation is on the PostgreSQL home page in mp3 and
> wav formats.  The above implies that the second sylable is pronounced
> with a long e which is incorrect.

Sorry, that should've been "post-gres-ql", same as the mp3.

--
Dominic J. Eidson                                       "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
Guys,

Ona slightly related note, and just as whimsical nature...> > > I've often wondered now many people actual say the name
'PostgreSQL',>> > I mean it flows off the tongue so easily! Whereas 'Postgres' is 100> > > times simpler...> > As much
asI get really bored when this comes up time after time..> > "post-gre-sql" (And no, SQL's not pronounced sequel)> The
properpronunciation is on the PostgreSQL home page in mp3 and> wav formats.  The above implies that the second sylable
ispronounced> with a long e which is incorrect.

I know how it's pronounced, I never said anything to the contrary! The
actual fact that there is a need for the pronunciation on the webpage
hints at my point - it's a real mouthful!

And as I said this was a 'whimsical' post - I don't really care either
way what the name is... But i'm sure most people shorten it to
Postgres.

Lee.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Lee Kindness wrote:

> On a slightly related note, and just as whimsical nature...
>
> I've often wondered now many people actual say the name 'PostgreSQL',
> I mean it flows off the tongue so easily! Whereas 'Postgres' is 100
> times simpler...

What is so hard about: Post-GreS-Q-L?  I've yet to have a problem with it
rolling off the tongue ...

Now, of course, if you want Postgres, we can always rip out the SQL,
revert back to PostQuel for the Query language ... but I suspect you might
be one of the few that wants that, no? :)  That woudl kinda set us back ~6
years and put the project back into UofC@B, no?

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Justin Clift wrote:
> Heh Heh Heh
>
> Well, if we can get a *really good operating version of PostgreSQL in
> Cygwin* happening on XP, why not?
   Postgrillenium? XPg? PostgreSQL for Workgroups!

> ;-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Jan

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Lee Kindness wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Vince Vielhaber writes:
>  > On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Dominic J. Eidson wrote:
>  > > On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Lee Kindness wrote:
>  > > > On a slightly related note, and just as whimsical nature...
>  > > > I've often wondered now many people actual say the name 'PostgreSQL',
>  > > > I mean it flows off the tongue so easily! Whereas 'Postgres' is 100
>  > > > times simpler...
>  > > As much as I get really bored when this comes up time after time..
>  > > "post-gre-sql" (And no, SQL's not pronounced sequel)
>  > The proper pronunciation is on the PostgreSQL home page in mp3 and
>  > wav formats.  The above implies that the second sylable is pronounced
>  > with a long e which is incorrect.
>
> I know how it's pronounced, I never said anything to the contrary! The
> actual fact that there is a need for the pronunciation on the webpage
> hints at my point - it's a real mouthful!
>
> And as I said this was a 'whimsical' post - I don't really care either
> way what the name is... But i'm sure most people shorten it to
> Postgres.

I shorten it to PgSQL, and just 'pronounce' the letters *shrug*

Postgres is a different project, with a different Query langauge ...

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 01:11, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I know how it's pronounced, I never said anything to the contrary! The
> > actual fact that there is a need for the pronunciation on the webpage
> > hints at my point - it's a real mouthful!
> >
> > And as I said this was a 'whimsical' post - I don't really care either
> > way what the name is... But i'm sure most people shorten it to
> > Postgres.
>
> I shorten it to PgSQL, and just 'pronounce' the letters *shrug*

I often omit the the -gre- part so it comes out as PostSQL - most people
never notice..

> Postgres is a different project, with a different Query langauge ...

Postgres 95 is what - a different project with the same query language,
or the same project with a different name?

Of course we should have gone the industry standard way - first to
Postgres 98, then 5.0/2000 and then XP :)

Btw there are rumours that the next version of Windows will be based on
relational data storage thus they too will reach WindowSQL soon. Hah!

-------------
Hannu

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
mlw
Date:
Colin Faber wrote:

> Personally, I have to agree with Tom,
>
> Silly versioning like that is for marketing teams and microsoft ;-)
>
> <sarcasm>How about the next version be released as PostgreSQL
> XP</sarcasm>

Let us not all think we are "too good" not to market our work.

I have been involved with too many projects that were technically better, but
managed and marketed poorly, thus failed.

PostgreSQL could use a bit of marketing here and there. The version number
thing? I don't know, but a bit of competitive window dressing would help a
great deal.

I don't know about you guys, but I would LOVE PostgreSQL to be the dominant SQL
engine on small to medium deployments. Not only is it capable of doing so, it
is better than almost all the technologies in that space.

For PostgreSQL to achieve its real potential, the game must be played.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:

Agreed.

> For PostgreSQL to achieve its real potential, the game must be played.

Hmm. Would "PostgreSQL version (Oracle + 1)i" be too transparent? ;)
                 - Thomas

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Heh Heh Heh

How about PostgreSQL Server 11.0 Enterprise Edition?

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Agreed.
>
> > For PostgreSQL to achieve its real potential, the game must be played.
>
> Hmm. Would "PostgreSQL version (Oracle + 1)i" be too transparent? ;)
>
>                   - Thomas

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
"Art Nicewick"
Date:
Pee - Gee - Sequel

pgSQL

Is much easier to say...

Arthur Nicewick
American Management Systems
Corporate Technology Group
art_nicewick@ams.com
(703) 267-8569

Quote of the week:
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the
parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you
can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not
use a hammer.
--IBM maintenance manual, 1925

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Jason Earl
Date:
Thomas Lockhart <thomas@fourpalms.org> writes:

> Agreed.
>
> > For PostgreSQL to achieve its real potential, the game must be played.
>
> Hmm. Would "PostgreSQL version (Oracle + 1)i" be too transparent? ;)
>
>                   - Thomas

I think that it makes better sense than PostgreSQL XP.  Whatever
"marketing" you guys plan to do make sure you mix in a vowel or two.

Personally I would promote the idea of going "all out" and naming the
new version of PostgreSQL something like:

PostgreSQL 2002i XP Anywhere eDatabase-O-Matic.NET

This might require a change in the MP3 pronunciation file, and you
probably wouldn't want to make the name change official until you
bumped up the maximum column length.

Jason

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Michael Larocque
Date:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Heh Heh Heh
>
> How about PostgreSQL Server 11.0 Enterprise Edition?
>
> :)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Hmm,
 What about Redhat Database.
 Oops, that's been done already.
 :)

Carpe viam,
Mike

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Colin Faber
Date:
haha.

I love it jason,

"PostgreSQL 2002i XP Anywhere eDatabase-O-Matic.NET"

"For those of you that need to harness distributed interfaces, engineer
world-class architectures and synthesize cross-media experiences for the
expedition of your integrated communities"

--
Colin Faber
(303) 859-1491

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mardi 26 Février 2002 19:09, Justin Clift a écrit :
> How about PostgreSQL Server 11.0 Enterprise Edition?

Let me show you how to free the world from marketing numberings:
Oracle 8, Oracle 9, Oracle 10, Oracle 11, Oracle 12, Oracle 13, ..., Oracle
is dead. No more Oracle. Free, at last ...

/JMP

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
> What do you mean?
Oracle 8.0 will die. So why stick to its versions?