PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Morning all ...
So far as we can tell, we're *finally* ready for release ... Tom
made a few benign commits since rc2 that he feels doesn't warrant an rc3,
so we are planning on doing the final release on Monday ...
Does *anyone* have any outstanding bugs that they would like to
report *before* the final release?  Anything that should hold up the
release even if for a couple of days?
If so, please speak up now or forever hold your peace ...
If not, I'm going to roll up the final release on Sunday night,
and do a full announce on Monday afternoon ...
Its been a *long* release cycle this time through, but nobody can
accuse us of not being thorough in our testing :)
Great work, and heart-felt thanks to everyone for the work that
went into this release ... should prove another one to serve us well and
make us proud :)

Re: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
>     So far as we can tell, we're *finally* ready for release ... Tom
> made a few benign commits since rc2 that he feels doesn't warrant an rc3,
> so we are planning on doing the final release on Monday ...
>
>     Does *anyone* have any outstanding bugs that they would like to
> report *before* the final release?  Anything that should hold up the
> release even if for a couple of days?
>
>     If so, please speak up now or forever hold your peace ...

How are we set for docs?  I don't recall Thomas calling for a freeze.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Date:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Actually, talked to him about it, and he says that since we aren't doing
> the hardcopy in the distribution anymore, we're fine for that too ...

Perfect!

Date:
Actually, talked to him about it, and he says that since we aren't doing
the hardcopy in the distribution anymore, we're fine for that too ...

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

> > Morning all ...
> >
> >     So far as we can tell, we're *finally* ready for release ... Tom
> > made a few benign commits since rc2 that he feels doesn't warrant an rc3,
> > so we are planning on doing the final release on Monday ...
> >
> >     Does *anyone* have any outstanding bugs that they would like to
> > report *before* the final release?  Anything that should hold up the
> > release even if for a couple of days?
> >
> >     If so, please speak up now or forever hold your peace ...
>
> How are we set for docs?  I don't recall Thomas calling for a freeze.
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

From
mlw
Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
>         So far as we can tell, we're *finally* ready for release ... Tom
> made a few benign commits since rc2 that he feels doesn't warrant an rc3,
> so we are planning on doing the final release on Monday ...
>
>         Does *anyone* have any outstanding bugs that they would like to
> report *before* the final release?  Anything that should hold up the
> release even if for a couple of days?
>
>         If so, please speak up now or forever hold your peace ...
>
>         If not, I'm going to roll up the final release on Sunday night,
> and do a full announce on Monday afternoon ...
>
>         Its been a *long* release cycle this time through, but nobody can
> accuse us of not being thorough in our testing :)
>
>         Great work, and heart-felt thanks to everyone for the work that
> went into this release ... should prove another one to serve us well and
> make us proud :)

I submitted a "contrib" project for integer array
aggregation/enumeration. I didn't see it in rc2.

Re: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

Date:
> > went into this release ... should prove another one to serve us well and
> > make us proud :)
>
> I submitted a "contrib" project for integer array
> aggregation/enumeration. I didn't see it in rc2.

That is being held for 7.3:

http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches2

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Array aggregation. Was: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

From
mlw
Date:
It is used as an aggregation function. It only works on integers, and assumes
sizeof(int) == sizeof(void *)

There are two functions:

int_array_aggregate(int4)
and
int_array_enum(int4[])

One creates an integer array as:

create table tst as select some_field, int_array_aggregate(int_field) as field
from table group by some_field;

This will poduce one row for all the unique "some_fields" with an array of all
"int_field" associated.

To extract this, you use int_array_enum(int_array); whic returns multiple
results.

Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 02:36, mlw wrote:
> >
> > I submitted a "contrib" project for integer array
> > aggregation/enumeration. I didn't see it in rc2.
> >

> Some general questions about arrays  -
>
> 1. Could this aggregation/enumeration be done in a generic way, so
>    that you could aggregate over any array ?
>
>    The only generic function I currently know of is count(), but it
>    is generic only on argument side, i.e count(any) returns always
>    integer.
>
> 2. Is there a way to define a function such that
>
>   declare make_array(any) returns any[] ?
>
> 3. Also, can I prescribe order of aggregation (aggregation applied
>    _after_ ORDER BY) that would act in a way similar to HAVING .
>
> 4. what arguments must I give to array_in so that it produces an
>    array of specific kind ? I tried some more obvious things and
>    really got nowhere.
>
> --------------
> Hannu
>
> PS. I attach an alpha-contrib ofPL/PgSQL code to compare intarrays.
> I have not had time to tie these ops to indexes
>
> --------------
> Hannu
>
>   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                      Name: ARRAY_COMP.SQL
>    ARRAY_COMP.SQL    Type: text/x-sql
>                  Encoding: quoted-printable

Re: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

>     So far as we can tell, we're *finally* ready for release ... Tom
> made a few benign commits since rc2 that he feels doesn't warrant an rc3,
> so we are planning on doing the final release on Monday ...

Good.  I've just gone through checking that all the files that need manual
updates have received them, and I've built and uploaded new man pages.

The only thing that still needs to be done is setting the date top the
register.txt file.  Don't forget that when you're ready.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Array aggregation. Was: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 02:36, mlw wrote:

> I submitted a "contrib" project for integer array
> aggregation/enumeration. I didn't see it in rc2.

Some general questions about arrays  -

1. Could this aggregation/enumeration be done in a generic way, so
   that you could aggregate over any array ?

   The only generic function I currently know of is count(), but it
   is generic only on argument side, i.e count(any) returns always
   integer.

2. Is there a way to define a function such that

  declare make_array(any) returns any[] ?

3. Also, can I prescribe order of aggregation (aggregation applied
   _after_ ORDER BY) that would act in a way similar to HAVING .

4. what arguments must I give to array_in so that it produces an
   array of specific kind ? I tried some more obvious things and
   really got nowhere.

--------------
Hannu

PS. I attach an alpha-contrib ofPL/PgSQL code to compare intarrays.
I have not had time to tie these ops to indexes

--------------
Hannu

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

From
Karl DeBisschop
Date:
On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 14:29, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
>     So far as we can tell, we're *finally* ready for release ... Tom
> made a few benign commits since rc2 that he feels doesn't warrant an rc3,
> so we are planning on doing the final release on Monday ...
>
>     Does *anyone* have any outstanding bugs that they would like to
> report *before* the final release?  Anything that should hold up the
> release even if for a couple of days?

Typo in docs, I think.

user guide 4.7 should be "Date Type Formatting Functions" instead of
"Data", ISTM

--
Karl DeBisschop
Director, Software Engineering & Development

Re: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

Date:
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@range.infoplease.com> writes:
> Typo in docs, I think.

> user guide 4.7 should be "Date Type Formatting Functions" instead of
> "Data", ISTM

No, because to_number and the numeric variants of to_char are in there
too.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Array aggregation. Was: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

Date:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@krosing.net> writes:
> 2. Is there a way to define a function such that

>   declare make_array(any) returns any[] ?

No.  We do need a way to construct an array as an expression result,
but I think it will have to be a special syntactic case, not an ordinary
function.  Maybe something roughly like a CAST construct,ARRAY(expr,expr,expr,... OF type-name)

The function definition language isn't nearly powerful enough to deal
with this --- heck, we don't even support a variable number of
arguments.  If it were, it'd probably break the whole ambiguous-
function-call resolution mechanism --- what type do you assign to the
output if you're not entirely sure how the inputs are to be interpreted?

> 3. Also, can I prescribe order of aggregation (aggregation applied
>    _after_ ORDER BY) that would act in a way similar to HAVING .

Sub-select in FROM might help here.

> 4. what arguments must I give to array_in so that it produces an
>    array of specific kind ?

You don't.  array_in is meant to be used as the declared typinput
routine for an array type; that linkage is what causes the system
to know what the output array type is.  array_in by itself can't
cause the system to assign a correct type to its result.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Final Release ... Monday?

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> >     Does *anyone* have any outstanding bugs that they would like to
> > report *before* the final release?  Anything that should hold up the
> > release even if for a couple of days?
>
> Typo in docs, I think.
>
> user guide 4.7 should be "Date Type Formatting Functions" instead of
> "Data", ISTM

And unless you've fixed it already - the FAQ still refers to 7.1.3.  Just
to a grep of the source for '7.1.3' maybe.

Chris