7.1.4

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi guys,

Sorry to say this, but I'm feeling we're getting near to needing a
7.1.4.

A lot of places won't upgrade to 7.2 final until a few bug-fix point
releases are out the door anyway, and we all know that 7.1.3 is pretty
good.

Do the Hackers think we've got time to generate a further bugfix release
of 7.1.x, as it will still probably be in real-world production use for
quite some time?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [GENERAL] Problem with btree index on 7.1.3
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:14:11 +0600
From: Denis Perchine <dyp@perchine.com>
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

Hello,

on 7.1.3 I get:
ERROR:  btree: index item size 3028 exceeds maximum 2713

it seems like known problem, and I have a feeling that it is fixed in
7.2 RC1,
but does anywhere a patch available for 7.1.3?

--
Denis

Re: 7.1.4

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Is there anything in the v7.1.x BRANCH that warrants a v7.1.4 release?

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Sorry to say this, but I'm feeling we're getting near to needing a
> 7.1.4.
>
> A lot of places won't upgrade to 7.2 final until a few bug-fix point
> releases are out the door anyway, and we all know that 7.1.3 is pretty
> good.
>
> Do the Hackers think we've got time to generate a further bugfix release
> of 7.1.x, as it will still probably be in real-world production use for
> quite some time?
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Re: 7.1.4

From
Justin Clift
Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> Is there anything in the v7.1.x BRANCH that warrants a v7.1.4 release?

Hi Marc,

I'm not sure, I'm just thinking about the few bugs which have trickled
through about 7.1.3, and Tom's email a while ago saying that heaps of
the bugs which had been fixed were 7.1.3 ones.

It's a feeling, not an educated "taken a close look at it" thing.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Sorry to say this, but I'm feeling we're getting near to needing a
> > 7.1.4.
> >
> > A lot of places won't upgrade to 7.2 final until a few bug-fix point
> > releases are out the door anyway, and we all know that 7.1.3 is pretty
> > good.
> >
> > Do the Hackers think we've got time to generate a further bugfix release
> > of 7.1.x, as it will still probably be in real-world production use for
> > quite some time?
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Regards and best wishes,
> >
> > Justin Clift

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: 7.1.4

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Is there anything in the v7.1.x BRANCH that warrants a v7.1.4 release?

According to CVS, the *only* stuff in the 7.1 branch since 7.1.3 is

* src/: backend/executor/nodeTidscan.c, include/nodes/execnodes.h(REL7_1_STABLE): Keep the contents of TIDs not the
pointers. Tidscan has been broken for 7.1.

* src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c (REL7_1_STABLE): Back-patchdeadlock recovery fix into 7.1 tree, in case someone needs
it.

The deadlock-recovery fix is somewhat interesting, but I hardly think it
warrants a 7.1.4.

There are other fixes in current sources that perhaps could be
back-patched if we wanted to expend the time to do it.  I don't...
        regards, tom lane

Re: 7.1.4

From
Justin Clift
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > Is there anything in the v7.1.x BRANCH that warrants a v7.1.4 release?

<snip
> The deadlock-recovery fix is somewhat interesting, but I hardly think it
> warrants a 7.1.4.
>
> There are other fixes in current sources that perhaps could be
> back-patched if we wanted to expend the time to do it.  I don't...

Was a thought.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Date:
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> I'm not sure, I'm just thinking about the few bugs which have trickled
> through about 7.1.3, and Tom's email a while ago saying that heaps of
> the bugs which had been fixed were 7.1.3 ones.

Trouble is, we mostly haven't bothered to back-patch the fixes.  Putting
out a 7.1.4 would involve going through the CVS logs, figuring out which
entries represented fixes for old bugs that deserve back-patching, and
then applying the patch (possibly after changes to get it to apply
against the older code).  This'd be a huge amount of work --- cvs2cl
reports more than a thousand separate commits since last September, so
even trolling the log would be a significant effort.  Testing the end
result would be a problem too...
        regards, tom lane

Re: 7.1.4

From
Denis Perchine
Date:
Tom,

> > I'm not sure, I'm just thinking about the few bugs which have trickled
> > through about 7.1.3, and Tom's email a while ago saying that heaps of
> > the bugs which had been fixed were 7.1.3 ones.
>
> Trouble is, we mostly haven't bothered to back-patch the fixes.  Putting
> out a 7.1.4 would involve going through the CVS logs, figuring out which
> entries represented fixes for old bugs that deserve back-patching, and
> then applying the patch (possibly after changes to get it to apply
> against the older code).  This'd be a huge amount of work --- cvs2cl
> reports more than a thousand separate commits since last September, so
> even trolling the log would be a significant effort.  Testing the end
> result would be a problem too...

This is nice. But I hope that you are agree that it is not a good idea
to switch production system to RC1 version. A bug I mentioned is a real
problem. Is it possible that it will be addressed? I could do this myself,
but as far as I remember the fix was done by you, and was quite large.

--
Denis

Re: 7.1.4

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Denis Perchine wrote:

> This is nice. But I hope that you are agree that it is not a good idea
> to switch production system to RC1 version. A bug I mentioned is a real
> problem. Is it possible that it will be addressed? I could do this
> myself, but as far as I remember the fix was done by you, and was quite
> large.

Actually, I'm running a couple of production databases on a v7.2beta ...
one of them is quite heavily pounded to, as its used for logging and stats
for a FreeBSD Firewall bridging between the Internet and a B-Class network
...  hasn't failed me yet, and its been in production since before Xmas
due to the "VACUUM doesn't lock tables" addition ...

Re: 7.1.4

Date:
Denis Perchine <dyp@perchine.com> writes:
> This is nice. But I hope that you are agree that it is not a good idea
> to switch production system to RC1 version.

*Somebody* has got to make that leap of faith, you know.  Do you think
it magically gets more reliable when we slap a different label on it?
The way it gets more reliable is that people use it.

> A bug I mentioned is a real
> problem. Is it possible that it will be addressed? I could do this myself,
> but as far as I remember the fix was done by you, and was quite large.

If it was a large fix then I'd be unlikely to regard it as safe to
back-patch into 7.1.* anyway.  Why do you think that 7.1.3 + a whole
bunch of poorly-tested bugfixes would be safer to put into production
than RC1?  RC1 has at least seen a fair amount of usage as an integrated
whole.  A 7.1.4 with any but the most simple, obviously correct fixes
would not be more trustworthy in my eyes --- at least not till after it
had seen field testing.  So people who think as you suggest wouldn't
update anyway.

If you are running into a 7.1 bug that is fixed in 7.2, then I would say
that for your purposes 7.2 is already more stable than 7.1.  You should
be planning to update ASAP, not asking the developers to expend large
amounts of not-very-productive work so that you can avoid updating.
        regards, tom lane