Re: 7.1.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.1.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Denis Perchine <dyp@perchine.com> writes:
> This is nice. But I hope that you are agree that it is not a good idea
> to switch production system to RC1 version.

*Somebody* has got to make that leap of faith, you know.  Do you think
it magically gets more reliable when we slap a different label on it?
The way it gets more reliable is that people use it.

> A bug I mentioned is a real
> problem. Is it possible that it will be addressed? I could do this myself,
> but as far as I remember the fix was done by you, and was quite large.

If it was a large fix then I'd be unlikely to regard it as safe to
back-patch into 7.1.* anyway.  Why do you think that 7.1.3 + a whole
bunch of poorly-tested bugfixes would be safer to put into production
than RC1?  RC1 has at least seen a fair amount of usage as an integrated
whole.  A 7.1.4 with any but the most simple, obviously correct fixes
would not be more trustworthy in my eyes --- at least not till after it
had seen field testing.  So people who think as you suggest wouldn't
update anyway.

If you are running into a 7.1 bug that is fixed in 7.2, then I would say
that for your purposes 7.2 is already more stable than 7.1.  You should
be planning to update ASAP, not asking the developers to expend large
amounts of not-very-productive work so that you can avoid updating.