pgaccess 0.98

Date:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Do we want to copy the entire pgaccess  tree to the pgsql install
> > directory?
>
> Why not? Of course, on UNIX systems without DLL's

OK, I have installed it in the current tree and stable tree.  I will
keep pgaccess up-to-date in both trees in the future.

The tricky part is that pgaccess must know the 'wish' path that is
determined by configure, and the POSTGRESDIR path which comes from
Makefile.global, so I had to create a Makefile.in, and a pgaccess.sh.
Makefile.in is set a configure time, and pgaccess.sh is set at compile
time.  The final script pgaccess has hardcoded in it the path to wish,
and the pgaccess directory inside the install directory.

The only problem I see is that wish is determined by a crude directory
search, while our tcl/tk stuff has the ability to target certain
versions of tcl/tk. Any idea how to do that cleanly?  On my machine, I
get wish 7.6 because it see it in /usr/contrib/bin first, while for
tcl/tk I tell configure to look in /usr/local/lib first, so I get tck/tk
8.0.

I don't see a 'wish' path defined in any of the tck/tk config files.

I copied the entire pgaccess/lib and pgaccess/images trees into the
install directory.  The other stuff seemed like it should stay just in
the source tree.

Would someone please test this?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Would someone please test this?

If I can figure out how (or if someone will tell me how) to check out the
6.5.3-candidate tree, I'll be glad to.  After all, I've got to get a jump on
the RPM's for 6.5.3.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

Date:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Would someone please test this?
>
> If I can figure out how (or if someone will tell me how) to check out the
> 6.5.3-candidate tree, I'll be glad to.  After all, I've got to get a jump on
> the RPM's for 6.5.3.

The developement tree has the same treatment, though I would like to
have the stable tree checked too.

I seem to mess this area up often.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Would someone please test this?
> >
> > If I can figure out how (or if someone will tell me how) to check out the
> > 6.5.3-candidate tree, I'll be glad to.  After all, I've got to get a jump on
> > the RPM's for 6.5.3.
>
> The developement tree has the same treatment, though I would like to
> have the stable tree checked too.
>
> I seem to mess this area up often.

As I will be building RPM's for both trees eventually, I am in the midst of a
dual-branch checkout.  Painful over my home's 33.6K modem, but necessary.

I did (am doing, actually) a cvs checkout with -r REL6_5 -- that is the correct
tag for the stable branch, right??

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

Date:

> > > If I can figure out how (or if someone will tell me how) to check out the
> > > 6.5.3-candidate tree, I'll be glad to.  After all, I've got to get a jump on
> > > the RPM's for 6.5.3.
> >
> > The developement tree has the same treatment, though I would like to
> > have the stable tree checked too.
> >
> > I seem to mess this area up often.
>
> As I will be building RPM's for both trees eventually, I am in the midst of a
> dual-branch checkout.  Painful over my home's 33.6K modem, but necessary.
>
> I did (am doing, actually) a cvs checkout with -r REL6_5 -- that is the correct
> tag for the stable branch, right??

Sadly, no.  It is REL6_5_PATCHES.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

Date:

> > > If I can figure out how (or if someone will tell me how) to check out the
> > > 6.5.3-candidate tree, I'll be glad to.  After all, I've got to get a jump on
> > > the RPM's for 6.5.3.
> >
> > The developement tree has the same treatment, though I would like to
> > have the stable tree checked too.
> >
> > I seem to mess this area up often.
>
> As I will be building RPM's for both trees eventually, I am in the midst of a
> dual-branch checkout.  Painful over my home's 33.6K modem, but necessary.
>
> I did (am doing, actually) a cvs checkout with -r REL6_5 -- that is the correct
> tag for the stable branch, right??

You may want to skip the separate pgaccess rpm now.  I have wish found
via configure, and the support files loaded into the install directory
under pgaccess/, and the pgaccess startup script pointing there, so
there isn't any more manual handling of pgaccess.

It should just install and work now.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I did (am doing, actually) a cvs checkout with -r REL6_5 -- that is the correct
> > tag for the stable branch, right??
>
> Sadly, no.  It is REL6_5_PATCHES.

I'm glad for the quick reply.  I aborted the REL6_5 co, and am now checking out
REL6_5_PATCHES.  It'll just take a half hour to do the checkout (I miss my T1
at work right about now....)

Thanks!

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> It should just install and work now.

In the RPM context, it doesn't.  I pulled a cvs update of
REL6_5_PATCHES, tarballed the tree into 'postgresql-6.5.3.tar.gz', and
gave it the 'rpm -ba' treatment after a patch-building and
spec-file-editing session that I'd rather forget (due to some of my
stupid errors) (ask Thomas about the rpm spec file....).

/usr/bin/pgaccess (in the standard install, this is the result of your
munged src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.sh) has the following line:

PATH_TO_WISH=@WISH@

Which confuses things.  The line should read
'PATH_TO_WISH=/usr/bin/wish' -- which, when I edit pgaccess to read
thus, everything works.

System: RedHat Linux 5.2.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

Date:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > It should just install and work now.
>
> In the RPM context, it doesn't.  I pulled a cvs update of
> REL6_5_PATCHES, tarballed the tree into 'postgresql-6.5.3.tar.gz', and
> gave it the 'rpm -ba' treatment after a patch-building and
> spec-file-editing session that I'd rather forget (due to some of my
> stupid errors) (ask Thomas about the rpm spec file....).
>
> /usr/bin/pgaccess (in the standard install, this is the result of your
> munged src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.sh) has the following line:
>
> PATH_TO_WISH=@WISH@
>
> Which confuses things.  The line should read
> 'PATH_TO_WISH=/usr/bin/wish' -- which, when I edit pgaccess to read
> thus, everything works.

Thanks for testing this.  I have fixed the problem.  Please try it again
and let me know.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Thanks for testing this.  I have fixed the problem.  Please try it again
> and let me know.

I'll let you know as soon as I rebuild -- which won't be tonight (gotta
spend some time with my wife).  First thing in the morning.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Thanks for testing this.  I have fixed the problem.  Please try it again
> > and let me know.
>
> I'll let you know as soon as I rebuild -- which won't be tonight (gotta
> spend some time with my wife).  First thing in the morning.

Well, turns out I did have time tonight to rebuild -- and it works.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

Date:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for testing this.  I have fixed the problem.  Please try it again
> > > and let me know.
> >
> > I'll let you know as soon as I rebuild -- which won't be tonight (gotta
> > spend some time with my wife).  First thing in the morning.
>
> Well, turns out I did have time tonight to rebuild -- and it works.

OK, 6.5.3 is ready for packaging.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> The tricky part is that pgaccess must know the 'wish' path that is
> determined by configure, and the POSTGRESDIR path which comes from
> Makefile.global, so I had to create a Makefile.in, and a pgaccess.sh.
> Makefile.in is set a configure time, and pgaccess.sh is set at compile
> time.  The final script pgaccess has hardcoded in it the path to wish,
> and the pgaccess directory inside the install directory.

Hmm. There is a common trick to finding wish (and presumably other
"shells") for a shell script; it involves an "exec" as the first
executable line of the script. Did this just recently. I'll look it up
when I get to work.

Your path must of course be set properly; is that not acceptable?
Can't we tolerate minor changes in wish version without
rebuilding/reinstalling from Postgres sources??
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98

Date:
> > The tricky part is that pgaccess must know the 'wish' path that is
> > determined by configure, and the POSTGRESDIR path which comes from
> > Makefile.global, so I had to create a Makefile.in, and a pgaccess.sh.
> > Makefile.in is set a configure time, and pgaccess.sh is set at compile
> > time.  The final script pgaccess has hardcoded in it the path to wish,
> > and the pgaccess directory inside the install directory.
>
> Hmm. There is a common trick to finding wish (and presumably other
> "shells") for a shell script; it involves an "exec" as the first
> executable line of the script. Did this just recently. I'll look it up
> when I get to work.

Yes, I know the trick, but since we are already doing the search in
configure, we may as well use it rather than doing a search for wish at
runtime.  The reason is that we now have a WISH varible in
Makefile.global that can be set to any value the user wants.  This makes
it consistent with the way we handle other tcl/tk things.

> Your path must of course be set properly; is that not acceptable?
> Can't we tolerate minor changes in wish version without
> rebuilding/reinstalling from Postgres sources??

It does not look for any particular version of wish, but just the first
wish in the path found by configure.  However, it can be easily changed.
My Makefile.custom has WISH=another_path because I want wish8 and not
the wish that is first in the path.

Pennsylvania19026