Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess 0.98
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > The tricky part is that pgaccess must know the 'wish' path that is
> > determined by configure, and the POSTGRESDIR path which comes from
> > Makefile.global, so I had to create a Makefile.in, and a pgaccess.sh.
> > Makefile.in is set a configure time, and pgaccess.sh is set at compile
> > time.  The final script pgaccess has hardcoded in it the path to wish,
> > and the pgaccess directory inside the install directory.
>
> Hmm. There is a common trick to finding wish (and presumably other
> "shells") for a shell script; it involves an "exec" as the first
> executable line of the script. Did this just recently. I'll look it up
> when I get to work.

Yes, I know the trick, but since we are already doing the search in
configure, we may as well use it rather than doing a search for wish at
runtime.  The reason is that we now have a WISH varible in
Makefile.global that can be set to any value the user wants.  This makes
it consistent with the way we handle other tcl/tk things.

> Your path must of course be set properly; is that not acceptable?
> Can't we tolerate minor changes in wish version without
> rebuilding/reinstalling from Postgres sources??

It does not look for any particular version of wish, but just the first
wish in the path found by configure.  However, it can be easily changed.
My Makefile.custom has WISH=another_path because I want wish8 and not
the wish that is first in the path.

Pennsylvania19026