ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
Brodie S
Date:
I am trying to install PostgreSQL on my OS X Mavericks Server.

I am installing the Data directory on a NAS server. However, I'm having an issue. Here is the section of the log file that displays the error:

fixing permissions on existing directory /Volumes/Poker/Databases ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 32MB
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /Volumes/Poker/Databases/base/1 ... Failed to initialise the database cluster with initdb

Script stderr:
FATAL: could not open file "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000001" (log file 0, segment 1): No such file or directory
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/Volumes/Poker/Databases"

Error running /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/installer/server/initcluster.sh "postgres" "postgres" "/Library/PostgreSQL/9.0" "/Volumes/Poker/Databases" 5432 DEFAULT : FATAL: could not open file "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000001" (log file 0, segment 1): No such file or directory
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/Volumes/Poker/Databases"
Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
The database cluster initialisation failed.
Creating Uninstaller
Creating uninstaller 25%
Creating uninstaller 50%
Creating uninstaller 75%
Creating uninstaller 100%
Installation completed
Log finished 08/16/2014 at 15:22:26

I've confirmed that the user "postgres" is the owner of the Databases folder and has full permissions.
Not sure what else could be causing this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 08/19/2014 11:03 AM, Brodie S wrote:
> I am trying to install PostgreSQL on my OS X Mavericks Server.

Installing with what?

> I am installing the Data directory on a NAS server. However, I'm having
> an issue. Here is the section of the log file that displays the error:
>
>     fixing permissions on existing directory /Volumes/Poker/Databases
>     ... ok
>     creating subdirectories ... ok
>     selecting default max_connections ... 100
>     selecting default shared_buffers ... 32MB
>     creating configuration files ... ok
>     creating template1 database in /Volumes/Poker/Databases/base/1 ...
>     Failed to initialise the database cluster with initdb

So the above is the initial error.

> I've confirmed that the user "postgres" is the owner of the Databases
> folder and has full permissions.

Have you tried creating something in /Volumes/Poker/Databases/ as postgres?

Is the installer actually running as postgres?

adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
Brodie S
Date:
I'm using the installer

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 08/22/2014 12:31 PM, Brodie S wrote:
> I'm using the installer

Well this page:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/

lists quite a few things that could be construed as installers. Also
given that there is Poker in the path I would not be surprised if you
where talking about:

https://www.pokertracker.com/

So could we get a specific definition of what installer you are using,
as well as the installations steps taken?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
"Brodie S"
Date:
I am using the 9.0.18 version of the installer found here:

During the installation, everything stays as the default except the path to the data folder

The databases will be used by poker tracker but they will be installed on the client machines. Not the server.

Date:
On 08/22/2014 03:47 PM, Brodie S wrote:
> I am using the 9.0.18 version of the installer found here:
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#osx
>
> During the installation, everything stays as the default except the path
> to the data folder

Are you installing as the postgres user?

If not does the install user have rights on the $DATA directory?

> The databases will be used by poker tracker but they will be installed
> on the client machines. Not the server.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
John R Pierce
Date:
I am installing the Data directory on a NAS server.

what NAS file sharing protocol?  (choices include SMB/CIFS, AFP, NFS, and probably others).    Network file shares are generally NOT considered 'safe' for relational database storage as many have very relaxed ideas about data integrity and the proper ordering of writes.

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
"Brodie S"
Date:
I've been installing as the Postgres user.  I've also ensured that the permission on the data folder is RW for every user

I did a chmod 777 on the data folder

Date:
On 08/22/2014 04:14 PM, Brodie S wrote:
> I've been installing as the Postgres user.  I've also ensured that the
> permission on the data folder is RW for every user

Just for reference have you tried installing without changing the $DATA
directory just to see if it works?

Well that exhausted my Windows Postgres install help:(

Might want to take this up on the EDB forums:

http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/list.page

> I did a chmod 777 on the data folder

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
Brodie S
Date:
I have installed with the default data directory with success.  Sadly, thats not an option for me

I made this post 4 days ago and sadly, have yet to get a response:

Date:
On 08/22/2014 04:34 PM, Brodie S wrote:
> I have installed with the default data directory with success.  Sadly,
> thats not an option for me

Hmmm, so the installer is basically working, just not to that directory.

> I made this post 4 days ago and sadly, have yet to get a response:
> http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/4000.page

Some searching found references to --enable_acledit 1 when installing to
non-default paths. So maybe something like this:

32bit
postgresql-9.0.18-1.windows.exe --enable_acledit 1

64bit
postgresql-9.0.18-1.windows-x64.exe --enable_acledit 1

You may need to change the *.exe to match your exact situation.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
"Brodie S"
Date:
How would that be done on a Mac?

Date:
On 08/23/2014 11:09 AM, Brodie S wrote:
> How would that be done on a Mac?

Well that was stupid of me, forgetting you where using the Mac
installer. Not sure how to do that on Mac or if it is even possible.
Best I can do is point you here:

http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.3/pginstguide/PostgreSQL_Installation_Guide-05.htm#P99_4193

Mac OS X-specific Software Requirements

Seems there is README file, it may shed some light.

The basic issue is that the initdb fails and the installer backs out at
that stage. It might be instructive to look at the OS system logs at
that point in time to see if there is anything that might help identify
why initdb is failing.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
Brodie S
Date:
I'm using Unraid and SMB

Date:
On 8/23/2014 4:07 PM, Brodie S wrote:
> I'm using Unraid and SMB

does the NAS box and your server support ISCSI so you can use your OS's
native file system?  that's a much better choice.

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
Brodie S
Date:
As far as I can tell, It does not

does the NAS box and your server support ISCSI so you can use your OS's native file system?  that's a much better choice.

--
john r pierce                                      37N 122W

Date:
On 08/23/2014 04:07 PM, Brodie S wrote:
> I'm using Unraid and SMB

Are you aware of the Mavericks issues with SMB?:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20131122083837447

http://www.macwindows.com/mavericks-filesharing.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: ERROR: Problem running post install step

From
"Brodie S"
Date:
This issue may have been resolved. I have yet to encounter any of those issues with SMB. For what it's worth, I just tried connecting to the share with AFP and running the installer. Same result

Date:
On 08/24/2014 09:18 AM, Brodie S wrote:
> This issue may have been resolved. I have yet to encounter any of those
> issues with SMB. For what it's worth, I just tried connecting to the
> share with AFP and running the installer. Same result

For what its worth, the tips say to use CIFS to force the old SMB protocol.

At any rate, are there any messages in the OS system logs that might be
helpful?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com