9.3 debian install setup failure

From
"john.tiger"
Date:
9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd

sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role

su - postgress
enter password  =>  authentication failure

hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
standard default ?

still authentication failure (after rebooting)

now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?

Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 03/21/2014 04:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
> 9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd
>
> sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
> alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role
>
> su - postgress
> enter password  =>  authentication failure

So did you really type postgress (note extra s) or is this just an email
error?

> hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
> standard default ?

This is a packager decision, in other words something Debian did.

> still authentication failure (after rebooting)
>
> now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
> shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?

You would think. Are you sure it is not running? In other words have you
done a ps ax and looked to see if it is running.  It could also be that
it running a listening on a different port. It would be helpful if you
showed the actual full error messages. The fragment you show above (if I
am assuming right) usually asks if the server is running and listening
on port XXXX

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure

From
Rodrigo Gonzalez
Date:
On 03/21/2014 08:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
> 9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd
>
> sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
> alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role
>
> su - postgress
> enter password  =>  authentication failure

postgress or postgres?
The name is different, but in case you made a typo here, with alter user
you changed postgresql password for user postgres not for OS user postgres

> hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
> standard default ?

Other people can give you different replies...for me...NO, security is
first and trust is completely skipping security from my point of view

> still authentication failure (after rebooting)
>
> now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
> shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?

Is it running? I dont use debian, but something like service postgresql
status can give you an idea...
or, more general
ps aux | grep postgres

Best regards

Rodrigo Gonzalez

Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure

From
"john.tiger"
Date:
thks for quick comments - see below:

On 03/21/2014 06:00 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 03/21/2014 04:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
>> 9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd
>>
>> sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
>> alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role
>>
>> su - postgress
>> enter password  =>  authentication failure
>
> So did you really type postgress (note extra s) or is this just an
> email error?

   email error

>> hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
>> standard default ?
>
> This is a packager decision, in other words something Debian did.

   I didn't mean it was pre-set to trust - actually pre set to "peer"  -
I set it to  "trust" to try to fix failure - no luck - it did not work
but do think default should be set to "md5" or "trust" but based on mail
list msgs maybe md5 is better than trust

>> still authentication failure (after rebooting)
>>
>> now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
>> shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?
>
> You would think. Are you sure it is not running? In other words have
> you done a ps ax and looked to see if it is running.  It could also be
> that it running a listening on a different port. It would be helpful
> if you showed the actual full error messages. The fragment you show
> above (if I am assuming right) usually asks if the server is running
> and listening on port XXXX

sorry - trying to install on another machine not running email  -
"connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"

ps aux => shows it running

btw - trying to install this on chromebook running crouton - wonder if
this is causing

EDIT from @rodrigo

   hmm, user postgres vs os postgres - okay understand what you mean but
how is this fixed ?  or what is proper procedure ?

Date:
On 03/21/2014 09:29 PM, john.tiger wrote:

> EDIT from @rodrigo
>
>   hmm, user postgres vs os postgres - okay understand what you mean but
> how is this fixed ?  or what is proper procedure ?

It depends on what you want to fix...
if you want to be able to do su - postgres change its OS password
sudo passwd postgres

or use sudo su - postgres and you just need your password (in case you
can use sudo but you can according to your original email)

About socket...

Check that it is listening on that socket

if debian is the same than ubuntu (I only have access to ubuntu right now)

grep unix_socket /etc/postgresql/9.3/main/postgresql.conf

Of course change 9.3 with your version or jsut ls /etc/postgresql and
you will see which one you have installed there

I hope this helps

Best regards

Rodrigo Gonzalez

Date:
On 03/21/2014 06:43 PM, Rodrigo Gonzalez wrote:
> On 03/21/2014 09:29 PM, john.tiger wrote:
>
>> EDIT from @rodrigo
>>
>>    hmm, user postgres vs os postgres - okay understand what you mean but
>> how is this fixed ?  or what is proper procedure ?
>>
> It depends on what you want to fix...
> if you want to be able to do su - postgres change its OS password
> sudo passwd postgres
>
> or use sudo su - postgres and you just need your password (in case you
> can use sudo but you can according to your original email)
>
> About socket...
>
> Check that it is listening on that socket
>
> if debian is the same than ubuntu (I only have access to ubuntu right now)
>
> grep unix_socket /etc/postgresql/9.3/main/postgresql.conf
>
> Of course change 9.3 with your version or jsut ls /etc/postgresql and
> you will see which one you have installed there
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Best regards
>
> Rodrigo Gonzalez

uncommented postgresql.conf sline:
   listen addresses = localhost

still getting the "is server running error"

not sure what's wrong here - we have 9.3 running on a number of debian
machines (both stable and testing )  - did something change in testing ?

Date:
On 03/21/2014 06:38 PM, john.tiger wrote:
> On 03/21/2014 06:43 PM, Rodrigo Gonzalez wrote:
>> On 03/21/2014 09:29 PM, john.tiger wrote:
>>
>>> EDIT from @rodrigo
>>>
>>>    hmm, user postgres vs os postgres - okay understand what you mean but
>>> how is this fixed ?  or what is proper procedure ?
>>>
>> It depends on what you want to fix...
>> if you want to be able to do su - postgres change its OS password
>> sudo passwd postgres
>>
>> or use sudo su - postgres and you just need your password (in case you
>> can use sudo but you can according to your original email)
>>
>> About socket...
>>
>> Check that it is listening on that socket
>>
>> if debian is the same than ubuntu (I only have access to ubuntu right
>> now)
>>
>> grep unix_socket /etc/postgresql/9.3/main/postgresql.conf
>>
>> Of course change 9.3 with your version or jsut ls /etc/postgresql and
>> you will see which one you have installed there
>>
>> I hope this helps
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Rodrigo Gonzalez
>>

> uncommented postgresql.conf sline:
>    listen addresses = localhost
>
> still getting the "is server running error"

Did you restart the server after making the config change?

Also please do not paraphrase the error messages, cut and paste the
entire message into the email.

Date:
On 03/21/2014 05:29 PM, john.tiger wrote:
> thks for quick comments - see below:
>

> On 03/21/2014 06:00 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 03/21/2014 04:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
>>> 9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd
>>>
>>> sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
>>> alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role
>>>
>>> su - postgress
>>> enter password  =>  authentication failure
>>
>> So did you really type postgress (note extra s) or is this just an
>> email error?
>
>    email error
>

>>> hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
>>> standard default ?
>>
>> This is a packager decision, in other words something Debian did.
>
>    I didn't mean it was pre-set to trust - actually pre set to "peer"  -
> I set it to  "trust" to try to fix failure - no luck - it did not work
> but do think default should be set to "md5" or "trust" but based on mail
> list msgs maybe md5 is better than trust
>

>>> still authentication failure (after rebooting)
>>>
>>> now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
>>> shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?
>>
>> You would think. Are you sure it is not running? In other words have
>> you done a ps ax and looked to see if it is running.  It could also be
>> that it running a listening on a different port. It would be helpful
>> if you showed the actual full error messages. The fragment you show
>> above (if I am assuming right) usually asks if the server is running
>> and listening on port XXXX
>
> sorry - trying to install on another machine not running email  -

I am not following. Is this the same install we have been diagnosing and
you are saying it is on different machine then your email client, or are
trying a new seperate install on a different machine?

> "connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"

I am guessing there is more to this error message.

Have you checked in /var/run/postgresql/ to see if the socket is being
set up there?

> ps aux => shows it running
>
> btw - trying to install this on chromebook running crouton - wonder if
> this is causing
>
> EDIT from @rodrigo
>
>    hmm, user postgres vs os postgres - okay understand what you mean but
> how is this fixed ?  or what is proper procedure ?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 05:47:54PM -0600, john.tiger wrote:
> 9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd

Firstly, you did read: /usr/share/doc/postgresql-9.3/README.Debian.gz
right?

> sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
> alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role

Why on earth would you want to do that. The default is peer, so you
don't need a password to login as the postgres user.

> su - postgress
> enter password  =>  authentication failure
>
> hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set
> up as standard default ?

Did you not read the comment above it saying you should change that if
you expect the default maintainence scripts to keep working?

> still authentication failure (after rebooting)
>
> now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running
> - shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?

Check if the server is actually running with ps. Maybe you typoed the
config file?

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Attachment