Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From john.tiger
Subject Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/21/2014 06:43 PM, Rodrigo Gonzalez wrote:
> On 03/21/2014 09:29 PM, john.tiger wrote:
>
>> EDIT from @rodrigo
>>
>>    hmm, user postgres vs os postgres - okay understand what you mean but
>> how is this fixed ?  or what is proper procedure ?
>>
> It depends on what you want to fix...
> if you want to be able to do su - postgres change its OS password
> sudo passwd postgres
>
> or use sudo su - postgres and you just need your password (in case you
> can use sudo but you can according to your original email)
>
> About socket...
>
> Check that it is listening on that socket
>
> if debian is the same than ubuntu (I only have access to ubuntu right now)
>
> grep unix_socket /etc/postgresql/9.3/main/postgresql.conf
>
> Of course change 9.3 with your version or jsut ls /etc/postgresql and
> you will see which one you have installed there
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Best regards
>
> Rodrigo Gonzalez

uncommented postgresql.conf sline:
   listen addresses = localhost

still getting the "is server running error"

not sure what's wrong here - we have 9.3 running on a number of debian
machines (both stable and testing )  - did something change in testing ?