Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/21/2014 05:29 PM, john.tiger wrote:
> thks for quick comments - see below:
>

> On 03/21/2014 06:00 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 03/21/2014 04:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
>>> 9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd
>>>
>>> sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
>>> alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role
>>>
>>> su - postgress
>>> enter password  =>  authentication failure
>>
>> So did you really type postgress (note extra s) or is this just an
>> email error?
>
>    email error
>

>>> hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
>>> standard default ?
>>
>> This is a packager decision, in other words something Debian did.
>
>    I didn't mean it was pre-set to trust - actually pre set to "peer"  -
> I set it to  "trust" to try to fix failure - no luck - it did not work
> but do think default should be set to "md5" or "trust" but based on mail
> list msgs maybe md5 is better than trust
>

>>> still authentication failure (after rebooting)
>>>
>>> now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
>>> shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?
>>
>> You would think. Are you sure it is not running? In other words have
>> you done a ps ax and looked to see if it is running.  It could also be
>> that it running a listening on a different port. It would be helpful
>> if you showed the actual full error messages. The fragment you show
>> above (if I am assuming right) usually asks if the server is running
>> and listening on port XXXX
>
> sorry - trying to install on another machine not running email  -

I am not following. Is this the same install we have been diagnosing and
you are saying it is on different machine then your email client, or are
trying a new seperate install on a different machine?

> "connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"

I am guessing there is more to this error message.

Have you checked in /var/run/postgresql/ to see if the socket is being
set up there?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com