Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rodrigo Gonzalez
Subject Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/21/2014 08:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
> 9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd
>
> sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
> alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role
>
> su - postgress
> enter password  =>  authentication failure

postgress or postgres?
The name is different, but in case you made a typo here, with alter user
you changed postgresql password for user postgres not for OS user postgres

> hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
> standard default ?

Other people can give you different replies...for me...NO, security is
first and trust is completely skipping security from my point of view

> still authentication failure (after rebooting)
>
> now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
> shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?

Is it running? I dont use debian, but something like service postgresql
status can give you an idea...
or, more general
ps aux | grep postgres

Best regards