procedure to contribute this community

From
Govind kumar sah
Date:
hello sir/mam
This is Govind Kumar Sah, a 3rd year student of UIET,PU Chandigarh and
am pursuing B>E in CSE trade. I am new in this community and am
already read about this community and i liked it because i like SQL
and want to participate in GSOC 2013, but how i dont know so, please
guide me?

Re: procedure to contribute this community

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:

http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
On 04/07/2013 07:41 AM, Govind kumar sah wrote:
> thank you sir.
>
> actually i have already read this.
> Now how can i download the source code, how can i compile it and

Information on getting source:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/git.html

Starting page for developer info:
http://www.postgresql.org/developer/

> please tell me the required
> software and compiler( i am working on window 7).

Compiling source on Windows:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/install-windows.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: procedure to contribute this community

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
Hi Govind,

While Postgres obviously does run on Microsoft O/S's, and can be
complied there - if you are seriously interested in software
development, you should consider Linux.  Linux dominates the mobile
(Android & eBooks are both based on Linux) and server segments.

I also consider Linux a lot easier platform to develop in, having used
both Linux & Microsoft O/S's.  In Linux you can have multiple virtual
desktops (the official term is 'virtual workspaces'), and using the mate
desktop environment you an have as system monitor in a panel that shows
a graph of osage of things like RAM, Processor load, and network traffic.

For an Integrated Development Environment, you can use Eclipse:
http://eclipse.org/downloads
though other people might suggest other possibilities (I used to use
emacs).

Not to mention that it appears that Postgres runs better on Linux than
on Microsoft.  Linux skills are increasingly in demand, while
MIcrosoft's market share is dropping (partly as a result of the Metro
fiasco!).

Cheers,
Gavin

On 08/04/13 05:38, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 04/07/2013 07:41 AM, Govind kumar sah wrote:
>> thank you sir.
>>
>> actually i have already read this.
>> Now how can i download the source code, how can i compile it and
>
> Information on getting source:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/git.html
>
> Starting page for developer info:
> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/
>
>> please tell me the required
>> software and compiler( i am working on window 7).
>
> Compiling source on Windows:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/install-windows.html

>>> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode/
>>>

>>> --
>>> Adrian Klaver
>>> adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: procedure to contribute this community

From
Atri Sharma

Sent from my iPad

On 07-Apr-2013, at 23:44, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>

> Not to mention that it appears that Postgres runs better on Linux than on Microsoft.  Linux skills are increasingly
indemand, while MIcrosoft's market share is dropping (partly as a result of the Metro fiasco).

True that!

Atri

Re: procedure to contribute this community

From
Chris Angelico
Date:
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> Not to mention that it appears that Postgres runs better on Linux than on
> Microsoft.  Linux skills are increasingly in demand, while MIcrosoft's
> market share is dropping (partly as a result of the Metro fiasco!).

Are you allowed to call it that, since they lost the rights to the
name "Metro"? *dive for cover*

It seems that good software works really well with other good
software. Pike and PostgreSQL and Linux work beautifully together; VB
.NET and PostgreSQL and Windows, not so much. I wonder if that's
because smart developers use awesome tools, and so build the linkages
between them first, and only support the less-awesome tools later on
as someone else asks for it... in any case, that's a theory that lets
me feel good about how smart the PostgreSQL guys are, so I'm happy
with that :)

I have a small number of Windows computers that I still support (and
somewhat use), and an increasing number of Linux boxes. My development
platform consists of Linux, Xfce, five workspaces, and SciTE set to
"Always on visible workspace". So as I switch between sets of terminal
windows, my editor is always there, with as many files up as I need
(and on a 1920x1080 screen, that's a lot of tabs). That's really all
the IDE that the system demands; that and a good set of makefiles.
Caveat: I develop *with* PostgreSQL, I don't actually do anything with
the core code. You may find the requirements different as you tinker
with the guts of a database engine.

ChrisA

Date:
On 08/04/13 09:45, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Gavin Flower
> <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
>> Not to mention that it appears that Postgres runs better on Linux than on
>> Microsoft.  Linux skills are increasingly in demand, while MIcrosoft's
>> market share is dropping (partly as a result of the Metro fiasco!).
>>
> Are you allowed to call it that, since they lost the rights to the
> name "Metro"? *dive for cover*
I most humbly apologise!

I sit here suitably humbled and chastened.
(I you believe that,
  I have a pile of scrap iron in Paris for you...)

Should I have referred to it as the '_NOT_ Metro fiasco'???

> It seems that good software works really well with other good
> software. Pike and PostgreSQL and Linux work beautifully together; VB
> .NET and PostgreSQL and Windows, not so much. I wonder if that's
> because smart developers use awesome tools, and so build the linkages
> between them first, and only support the less-awesome tools later on
> as someone else asks for it... in any case, that's a theory that lets
> me feel good about how smart the PostgreSQL guys are, so I'm happy
> with that :)
I have a friend (20+ years experience) who earns his money writing and
supporting software in a Microsoft Environment, but at home he uses
Linux exclusively.  He is not shy at work in mentioning the advantages
of Linux over Microsoft!

> I have a small number of Windows computers that I still support (and
> somewhat use), and an increasing number of Linux boxes. My development
> platform consists of Linux, Xfce, five workspaces, and SciTE set to
> "Always on visible workspace". So as I switch between sets of terminal
> windows, my editor is always there, with as many files up as I need
> (and on a 1920x1080 screen, that's a lot of tabs).
About a year ago, a friend lent me his 30" monitor while he went
overseas for a few months.  Initially it seemed far too big - then after
3 days, I got used to it, then I thought I could do with a bigger one!

I have a 2560 * 1600 screen and that is not big enough,
but it is bigger than yours ! - nyah, Nyah , NYAH...   :-)

On my workstation, I use xfce with 25 virtual workspaces, 8 currently
empty, I've been logged in for about 20 days.

On my laptop I use mate 1.6, but that only allows me 16 :-(
But otherwise, I find mate better than xfce.

Five minutes trying to use GNOME 3, was way too much time to waste on it
- GNOME 3 is a triumph of Fashion over Functionality. Hence I fled to xfce.

I have terminals and directory windows with multiple tabs (features not
available with Microsoft as standard?), not just my editors and web
browsers.  It is a pity that LibreOffice does not support tabs yet.
Screen real estate is precious, I try to husband it as best as I can.

The beauty of Linux is that you are free to chose components like
Desktop Managers that best suit your style of working, unlike Apple &
Microsoft.  My youngest son (15) is very intelligent, except he prefers
Ubuntu's Unity D/E - but that is his choice, yet he does admit mate is
more capable.

>                                                        That's really all
> the IDE that the system demands; that and a good set of makefiles.
> Caveat: I develop *with* PostgreSQL, I don't actually do anything with
> the core code. You may find the requirements different as you tinker
> with the guts of a database engine.
>
> ChrisA

I don't even use Postgres now, except to try and keep up-to-date.
However, in the next phase of my current project I hope to use it
extensively.

For my sins, I have a client I support who uses MySQL - Ugh!

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: procedure to contribute this community

From
Chris Angelico
Date:
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> On 08/04/13 09:45, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> My development
>> platform consists of Linux, Xfce, five workspaces...
>
> On my workstation, I use xfce with 25 virtual workspaces, 8 currently empty,
> I've been logged in for about 20 days.
>
> On my laptop I use mate 1.6, but that only allows me 16 :-(
> But otherwise, I find mate better than xfce.
>
> Five minutes trying to use GNOME 3, was way too much time to waste on it -
> GNOME 3 is a triumph of Fashion over Functionality. Hence I fled to xfce.

Yeah, me too. I installed Debian Wheezy, found GNOME 3, and went to
Xfce. Then discovered that Xfce is almost, but not entirely, like the
OS/2 Presentation Manager, and started inquiring about ways to make it
more so. (Still trying to figure out how to make Ctrl-Alt-RightClick
move a window one back in the Z-order. Open problem.)

> I have terminals and directory windows with multiple tabs (features not
> available with Microsoft as standard?), not just my editors and web
> browsers.  It is a pity that LibreOffice does not support tabs yet. Screen
> real estate is precious, I try to husband it as best as I can.

Hmm, I never really got into multi-tab terminals. I tend to have
specific-purpose terminals defined by their workspace and position on
screen, and if I went multi-tab, I'd get lost in my own mind as to
which command-recall to be expecting. But maybe I should give
multi-tab a try with my maximized terminals.

> I don't even use Postgres now, except to try and keep up-to-date. However,
> in the next phase of my current project I hope to use it extensively.
>
> For my sins, I have a client I support who uses MySQL - Ugh!

Ugh. You know, I was just talking to someone who looked down on all of
Sweden because of that one product. I think that's a tad excessive,
but he was not unjustified, having recently had to work with its UTF-8
support and its peculiar inability to decode SMP characters without
being told "utf8mb4" mode. Not to mention that, even if you use InnoDB
for everything of yours, the system catalog tables are still MyISAM.
Any chance you can nudge them to something better?

ChrisA

Re: procedure to contribute this community

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 07:45:16AM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
> It seems that good software works really well with other good
> software. Pike and PostgreSQL and Linux work beautifully together; VB
> .NET and PostgreSQL and Windows, not so much. I wonder if that's
> because smart developers use awesome tools, and so build the linkages
> between them first, and only support the less-awesome tools later on
> as someone else asks for it...

The best explanation I've heard is that open source solves the problem
of bad interfaces.  By this I mean that if you're having a performence
problem or struggling with an API, you can simply download the source
of the component and look for where the problem is.  Then you can
either tweak your program with perfect understanding that it will work
*or* fix the library so the problem doesn't happen.  Both lead to more
robust software.

It happens regularly that some performence problem on a particular OS
(other than windows) ends with someone digging up the code in the
kernel source that's causing the problem.

With Windows you're coding to a black box, which means you end up with
hacks and workarounds at all levels of the stack leading to associated
performence problems and instability.

Someone wrote a nice blog about it once and coined a term, but I've
forgetten what.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Attachment