Re: procedure to contribute this community - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Angelico
Subject Re: procedure to contribute this community
Date
Re: procedure to contribute this community
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> Not to mention that it appears that Postgres runs better on Linux than on
> Microsoft.  Linux skills are increasingly in demand, while MIcrosoft's
> market share is dropping (partly as a result of the Metro fiasco!).

Are you allowed to call it that, since they lost the rights to the
name "Metro"? *dive for cover*

It seems that good software works really well with other good
software. Pike and PostgreSQL and Linux work beautifully together; VB
.NET and PostgreSQL and Windows, not so much. I wonder if that's
because smart developers use awesome tools, and so build the linkages
between them first, and only support the less-awesome tools later on
as someone else asks for it... in any case, that's a theory that lets
me feel good about how smart the PostgreSQL guys are, so I'm happy
with that :)

I have a small number of Windows computers that I still support (and
somewhat use), and an increasing number of Linux boxes. My development
platform consists of Linux, Xfce, five workspaces, and SciTE set to
"Always on visible workspace". So as I switch between sets of terminal
windows, my editor is always there, with as many files up as I need
(and on a 1920x1080 screen, that's a lot of tabs). That's really all
the IDE that the system demands; that and a good set of makefiles.
Caveat: I develop *with* PostgreSQL, I don't actually do anything with
the core code. You may find the requirements different as you tinker
with the guts of a database engine.

ChrisA