Re: procedure to contribute this community - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: procedure to contribute this community
Date
Re: procedure to contribute this community
List pgsql-general
Hi Govind,

While Postgres obviously does run on Microsoft O/S's, and can be
complied there - if you are seriously interested in software
development, you should consider Linux.  Linux dominates the mobile
(Android & eBooks are both based on Linux) and server segments.

I also consider Linux a lot easier platform to develop in, having used
both Linux & Microsoft O/S's.  In Linux you can have multiple virtual
desktops (the official term is 'virtual workspaces'), and using the mate
desktop environment you an have as system monitor in a panel that shows
a graph of osage of things like RAM, Processor load, and network traffic.

For an Integrated Development Environment, you can use Eclipse:
http://eclipse.org/downloads
though other people might suggest other possibilities (I used to use
emacs).

Not to mention that it appears that Postgres runs better on Linux than
on Microsoft.  Linux skills are increasingly in demand, while
MIcrosoft's market share is dropping (partly as a result of the Metro
fiasco!).

Cheers,
Gavin