Re: procedure to contribute this community - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: procedure to contribute this community
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/04/13 09:45, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Gavin Flower
> <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
>> Not to mention that it appears that Postgres runs better on Linux than on
>> Microsoft.  Linux skills are increasingly in demand, while MIcrosoft's
>> market share is dropping (partly as a result of the Metro fiasco!).
>>
> Are you allowed to call it that, since they lost the rights to the
> name "Metro"? *dive for cover*
I most humbly apologise!

I sit here suitably humbled and chastened.
(I you believe that,
  I have a pile of scrap iron in Paris for you...)

Should I have referred to it as the '_NOT_ Metro fiasco'???

> It seems that good software works really well with other good
> software. Pike and PostgreSQL and Linux work beautifully together; VB
> .NET and PostgreSQL and Windows, not so much. I wonder if that's
> because smart developers use awesome tools, and so build the linkages
> between them first, and only support the less-awesome tools later on
> as someone else asks for it... in any case, that's a theory that lets
> me feel good about how smart the PostgreSQL guys are, so I'm happy
> with that :)
I have a friend (20+ years experience) who earns his money writing and
supporting software in a Microsoft Environment, but at home he uses
Linux exclusively.  He is not shy at work in mentioning the advantages
of Linux over Microsoft!

> I have a small number of Windows computers that I still support (and
> somewhat use), and an increasing number of Linux boxes. My development
> platform consists of Linux, Xfce, five workspaces, and SciTE set to
> "Always on visible workspace". So as I switch between sets of terminal
> windows, my editor is always there, with as many files up as I need
> (and on a 1920x1080 screen, that's a lot of tabs).
About a year ago, a friend lent me his 30" monitor while he went
overseas for a few months.  Initially it seemed far too big - then after
3 days, I got used to it, then I thought I could do with a bigger one!

I have a 2560 * 1600 screen and that is not big enough,
but it is bigger than yours ! - nyah, Nyah , NYAH...   :-)

On my workstation, I use xfce with 25 virtual workspaces, 8 currently
empty, I've been logged in for about 20 days.

On my laptop I use mate 1.6, but that only allows me 16 :-(
But otherwise, I find mate better than xfce.

Five minutes trying to use GNOME 3, was way too much time to waste on it
- GNOME 3 is a triumph of Fashion over Functionality. Hence I fled to xfce.

I have terminals and directory windows with multiple tabs (features not
available with Microsoft as standard?), not just my editors and web
browsers.  It is a pity that LibreOffice does not support tabs yet.
Screen real estate is precious, I try to husband it as best as I can.

The beauty of Linux is that you are free to chose components like
Desktop Managers that best suit your style of working, unlike Apple &
Microsoft.  My youngest son (15) is very intelligent, except he prefers
Ubuntu's Unity D/E - but that is his choice, yet he does admit mate is
more capable.

>                                                        That's really all
> the IDE that the system demands; that and a good set of makefiles.
> Caveat: I develop *with* PostgreSQL, I don't actually do anything with
> the core code. You may find the requirements different as you tinker
> with the guts of a database engine.
>
> ChrisA

I don't even use Postgres now, except to try and keep up-to-date.
However, in the next phase of my current project I hope to use it
extensively.

For my sins, I have a client I support who uses MySQL - Ugh!

Cheers,
Gavin