PgUS 2008 end of year summary

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

It is now 2009 and time for a, "Thanks for all the laughs 2008!"

2008 was the year that PgUS spent getting its feet under itself. We
formed our board, filed all of our legally required paperwork, paid a
lot of money to attorneys, held elections and even managed to have some
fun by working on parts of our mission. Many goals for 2008 were met.

We have ensured that when the new board was seated the majority of our
logistical infrastructure was in place. CPA, Legal, etc...

Our Attorney is:

Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
1300 SW Fifth Avenue
Suite 2300
Portland, OR 97201

Our CPA is:

Alten Sakai & Company LLP
1815 SW Marlow Ave., Suite 218
Portland, OR 97225-5187

We have retained Alten Sakai for not only standard CPA activities but
also book keeping and general accounting. The goal being that those
focusing on the success of PgUS are not book keepers or accountants.
PgUS will be able to focus on actually educating people on PostgreSQL in
the United States. Through our relationship with Alten Sakai we will be
able to provide monthly financial statements to our members in a
reliable manner. Expect to see the first detailed statement in March.

PgUS closed out the year with ~ 10k USD. We have no outstanding payables
and only one outstanding receivable. This leaves us with enough money to
handle any sundry expenses through 2009 including Accounting and Legal
fees.

Our community efforts included:

We started the process of working on our strategy with education. Part
of that conversation can be found here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgus-general/2008-08/msg00036.php

Michael Brewer who is heading up that strategy will be posting an update
to the website shortly.

We worked with PostgreSQL Conference, U.S. to hold West:

http://www.postgresqlconference.org/

We presented at Northern Arizona State.

In 2009:

We will seat the four elected members of the board:

Richard Broersma, Jr.
Andrew Dunstan
Greg Sabino Mullane
Robert Treat

We will also work with PostgreSQL Conference, U.S. to hold East, West,
and LFNW PgDay.

We hope to hold several free classes and seminars on PostgreSQL as well
as continue an aggressive move into education. Getting students and
professors to start using PostgreSQL is a key to ensuring a strong
relationship with potential new community members over the long term.

We want to hear from our members.  How is it that PgUS can help our
members with their PostgreSQL needs? How would our members like to
participate with PgUS? Are there members out there that have just been
waiting for an opportunity to participate? What is that opportunity?
What talents do you have and how would you like to use them?

For those who want to help but are not sure exactly how, here are some
ideas:

  * Drupal expertise
    The PostgreSQL.US site runs on Drupal + PostgreSQL

  * Speakers (PgUS will sponsor as it is able)
    We are actively pursuing every speaking engagement possible. We
    need more than one person to handle these engagements.

  * Tutorial writers
    This can be everything from how do I perform a backup with
    PostgreSQL to working with Pylons and PostgreSQL.

  * Community incursion
    We need guerrillas to start educating other communities on a more
    aggressive level and helping make sure that their postgresql
    support is top knotch. An very simple example is Drupal. They have
    an open issue list for Drupal 7 that is explicit to PostgreSQL.
    It can be found here:

    http://groups.drupal.org/node/17671

Lastly, please make note of our address change. Our new address is:

United States PostgreSQL Association
1767 12th Street
Hood River, OR 97031

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
President
United States PostgreSQL Association (PgUS)

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PgUS 2008 end of year summary

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is now 2009 and time for a, "Thanks for all the laughs 2008!"

That's all great, congratulations.

In the future please do not spam multiple lists with the same message.
Or rather, if you want the message to appear in more than one list,
please CC them all in a single message instead of sending one message to
each.

Date:
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 18:34 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It is now 2009 and time for a, "Thanks for all the laughs 2008!"
>
> That's all great, congratulations.
>
> In the future please do not spam multiple lists with the same message.
> Or rather, if you want the message to appear in more than one list,
> please CC them all in a single message instead of sending one message to
> each.

If we do that, we get cross posting. That is why I didn't.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 18:34 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > In the future please do not spam multiple lists with the same message.
> > Or rather, if you want the message to appear in more than one list,
> > please CC them all in a single message instead of sending one message to
> > each.
>
> If we do that, we get cross posting. That is why I didn't.

Cross posting is not necessarily bad; in fact it's regarded to be less
annoying than multiposting, which is what you did.  For argumentation,
see here
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why

(If you want it to be even more pain-free, add a Reply-To:
pgsql-advocacy header or some such.)

Date:
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 20:18 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Cross posting is not necessarily bad; in fact it's regarded to be less
> annoying than multiposting, which is what you did.  For argumentation,
> see here
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why
>
> (If you want it to be even more pain-free, add a Reply-To:
> pgsql-advocacy header or some such.)

Hmm good point. I didn't think about that idea.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: PgUS 2008 end of year summary

From
Gregory Stark
Date:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 18:34 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> > In the future please do not spam multiple lists with the same message.
>> > Or rather, if you want the message to appear in more than one list,
>> > please CC them all in a single message instead of sending one message to
>> > each.
>>
>> If we do that, we get cross posting. That is why I didn't.
>
> Cross posting is not necessarily bad; in fact it's regarded to be less
> annoying than multiposting, which is what you did.  For argumentation,
> see here
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why

Well cross-posting is especially annoying on subscriber-only moderated lists
such as ours. Anyone who follows up to an email who isn't subscribed to all
the lists will get bounce warnings for each list they're not on.

> (If you want it to be even more pain-free, add a Reply-To:
> pgsql-advocacy header or some such.)

Yeah, actually that doesn't work.

If you want to do that the only way to do it properly is to Bcc the various
lists with the To set to the list you want followups to go to.

--
  Gregory Stark

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:

> > Cross posting is not necessarily bad; in fact it's regarded to be less
> > annoying than multiposting, which is what you did.  For argumentation,
> > see here
> > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why
>
> Well cross-posting is especially annoying on subscriber-only moderated lists
> such as ours. Anyone who follows up to an email who isn't subscribed to all
> the lists will get bounce warnings for each list they're not on.

Especially annoying?  You'll get a bounce warning.  That's all.  You
don't have to do anything about it; just wait for the moderator to
approve it.  In fact, when I (as the sender) get those, I just delete
them.

(I admit that it is not as nice as on Usenet, which doesn't have the
whole "subscriber" concept so this is all moot.)

> > (If you want it to be even more pain-free, add a Reply-To:
> > pgsql-advocacy header or some such.)
>
> Yeah, actually that doesn't work.

Hmm, it doesn't work how?  I admit I haven't tried it, so I'm using this
message as a test (I added Reply-To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org)

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:

> > > (If you want it to be even more pain-free, add a Reply-To:
> > > pgsql-advocacy header or some such.)
> >
> > Yeah, actually that doesn't work.
>
> Hmm, it doesn't work how?  I admit I haven't tried it, so I'm using this
> message as a test (I added Reply-To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org)

You're right, it doesn't seem to work :-(   Weird ...

/me drifts away in shame

Date:

> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>
>> Well cross-posting is especially annoying on subscriber-only moderated lists
>> such as ours. Anyone who follows up to an email who isn't subscribed to all
>> the lists will get bounce warnings for each list they're not on.
>
> Especially annoying?  You'll get a bounce warning.  That's all.  You
> don't have to do anything about it; just wait for the moderator to
> approve it.  In fact, when I (as the sender) get those, I just delete
> them.

You don't think getting bounces every time you respond to a message is
annoying? I get annoyed whenever a user posts with an address which bounces
and I get *really* annoyed at the similar case when someone's email address
has a broken mailer which bounces to people who post to the mailing list.

>> > (If you want it to be even more pain-free, add a Reply-To:
>> > pgsql-advocacy header or some such.)
>>
>> Yeah, actually that doesn't work.
>
> Hmm, it doesn't work how?  I admit I haven't tried it, so I'm using this
> message as a test (I added Reply-To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org)

Well this was a wide followup to your message, which I think failed to do what
you wanted. More dramatically if I had tried to reply personally to you your
Reply-To would redirect the personal message to the list.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PgUS 2008 end of year summary

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:

> > Gregory Stark wrote:
> >> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Well cross-posting is especially annoying on subscriber-only moderated lists
> >> such as ours. Anyone who follows up to an email who isn't subscribed to all
> >> the lists will get bounce warnings for each list they're not on.
> >
> > Especially annoying?  You'll get a bounce warning.  That's all.  You
> > don't have to do anything about it; just wait for the moderator to
> > approve it.  In fact, when I (as the sender) get those, I just delete
> > them.
>
> You don't think getting bounces every time you respond to a message is
> annoying? I get annoyed whenever a user posts with an address which bounces
> and I get *really* annoyed at the similar case when someone's email address
> has a broken mailer which bounces to people who post to the mailing list.

Well, that's different and I get annoyed on those cases too, if only
because the message will not just get to the destination.  But when a
message is just delayed, I have no problem with it really.  It still
takes me some low number of seconds to delete the bounce; the difference
is whether the time I took to write the response is wasted for good or
not.

> >> Yeah, actually that doesn't work.
> >
> > Hmm, it doesn't work how?  I admit I haven't tried it, so I'm using this
> > message as a test (I added Reply-To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org)
>
> Well this was a wide followup to your message, which I think failed to do what
> you wanted. More dramatically if I had tried to reply personally to you your
> Reply-To would redirect the personal message to the list.

That's true too.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I'll stop advocating
this idea.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PgUS 2008 end of year summary

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
>>
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:

>> > Especially annoying?  You'll get a bounce warning.  That's all.  You
>> > don't have to do anything about it; just wait for the moderator to
>> > approve it.  In fact, when I (as the sender) get those, I just delete
>> > them.
>>
>> You don't think getting bounces every time you respond to a message is
>> annoying? I get annoyed whenever a user posts with an address which bounces
>> and I get *really* annoyed at the similar case when someone's email address
>> has a broken mailer which bounces to people who post to the mailing list.
>
> Well, that's different and I get annoyed on those cases too, if only
> because the message will not just get to the destination.  But when a
> message is just delayed, I have no problem with it really.  It still
> takes me some low number of seconds to delete the bounce; the difference
> is whether the time I took to write the response is wasted for good or
> not.

But there's a difference between this thread and people having bad
reply to addresses in their email address.  If someone sends a
message that's broadcast on purpose to several newsgroups that I'm not
subscribed to, it will generate one bounce message for each response I
type in to the thread.

If everyone on the mailing list had their reply-to addresses set to
something that bounced, I'd get dozens to hundreds of bounces per
message I sent to a thread with a few people in it that lasted say 70
or 80 posts.

In this thread getting a bounce from advocacy won't bother me too
much.  Having hundreds ot bounce messages in a busy thread, would be
much much worse.

I wonder, if all the mailing lists are run by the same software,
wouldn't it be easy enough to have a kind of passthrough filter for
other mailiing list?  You can post to them in addition to the ones
you're subscribed to, knowing you'll get the thread back by reply to
semantics and no one need get a bounce message.  At most a "we've
secretly moderated your post into pgsql-xyz, let's see if they notice
you're not really a member of their mailing list" reply.  And / or an
auto approval message into the group you're posting into?

Date:
Scott Marlowe escribió:

> In this thread getting a bounce from advocacy won't bother me too
> much.  Having hundreds ot bounce messages in a busy thread, would be
> much much worse.

Yup.

> I wonder, if all the mailing lists are run by the same software,
> wouldn't it be easy enough to have a kind of passthrough filter for
> other mailiing list?  You can post to them in addition to the ones
> you're subscribed to, knowing you'll get the thread back by reply to
> semantics and no one need get a bounce message.  At most a "we've
> secretly moderated your post into pgsql-xyz, let's see if they notice
> you're not really a member of their mailing list" reply.  And / or an
> auto approval message into the group you're posting into?

Yeah, there is a way to configure lists this way in Mj2.  We only have
to get Marc to play along ...